• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

I'm a huge fan of Chas Quinlan - here's Captain Fearless #2

CaptFear2.jpg

I've never owned a Captain Fearless. :cry:

Whenever I see that cover, my first impression is that the characters in the foreground look like they were drawn by Robert Crumb. (shrug)

Take a look at Robert Lesser's collection of original pulp artwork. :o

Slideshow

Amazing show BZ. There are 495 items which consists of Spicy Pulps, Saucy Pulps, Speed, Jungle, Superhero, Westerns, Detectives and the original art.

De Soto paintings were excellant as were all of the others.

CharlesSchulz.jpg

In the years prior to creating Peanuts, Charles M. Schulz held several jobs after returning home from serving in the Army during WWII.

He was employed as a teacher at Art Instruction, Inc. and he did some professional work as a letterer for a publisher.

artinstruction.jpg

He also drew several panels in a decidedly non-humorous comic book that is highly sought after by many comic collectors.

Name the comic.

I got a little lucky.

I wish I still had a copy of Is This Tomorrow to check out. I had bought a beautiful copy way back at a HoustonCon in '75.

I actually used it as part of an 8th grade history class presentation (got an A :acclaim: ). Silly me, I sold it about ten years later doh!

I had not made the connection to Schulz until your question.

I had not made the connection to Schulz until your question.

I've never seen the interior of that comic. Do you remember any panels that reminded you of Schulz's artwork?

Honestly no. From memory it all seemed like straight forward comic book art. A fear mongering storyline wouldn't seem to lend itself to Peanuts style artwork.

It has been quite a few years since I read it but some of the panels are etched in my pea brain.