• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

The Rollicking Rogue is a forgotten ancestor in the pulp hero genre.

He predates The Shadow, Doc Savage, The Black Bat and all the other characters we can remember from pulp history.

allstorydetective1930.jpg

All Star Detective Stories (November, 1930)

Diabolical Laughter -- A Costumed Marauder -- Midnight Cunning

roguetableofcontents.jpg

roguetitle.jpg

rogueillo.jpg

roguetext.jpg

"On the head was a close-fitting helmet of red. Eyes glittered through tiny slits in it. The mouth was exposed. On the top were horns of yellow."

"And beneath this was a shimmering bright costume that enveloped the body and made disguise perfect. Around the robe was a sash of brilliant red. Over the shoulders was a cape."

Voilà...the superhero costume was born. lol

It's amazing how similar the Black Bat is to Batman. I wonder if there was litigation over those similarities back in the late 30s or in the 1940s like there was over Superman/his army of imitators.

According to Wikipedia

Both Black Bat and Batman hit the newsstands around the same time, and both claimed that the other was a copy. The threat of lawsuits ended when DC editor Whitney Ellsworth intervened. Ellsworth had once worked for the Black Bat's publishers and brokered a deal that allowed both characters to co-exist peacefully. It is probable that the costumes of both characters were copied from the 1933/34 Black Bat series which featured costumed illustrations of the Black Bat inside the pulps though actually the "Black Bat" in the stories was indistinguishable from any other man in his choice of clothing. Batman creator Bob Kane always contended that the only bat-like man he had seen was the villain from the 1930 film, "The Bat Whispers". However, the Black Bat did have a permanent influence on the Batman: chief Batman scribe Bill Finger called Kane's attention to the unique guantlets the rival character wore. Subsequently, similar "fins" were added to the Dark Knight's gloves which remain to this day.

I thought everyone might be interested in seeing this bubblegum trading card. It's part of the "Strange True Stories" set released in 1936.

sts3.jpg

Diabolical Laughter -- A Costumed Marauder -- Midnight Cunning

roguetableofcontents.jpg

roguetitle.jpg

rogueillo.jpg

roguetext.jpg

"On the head was a close-fitting helmet of red. Eyes glittered through tiny slits in it. The mouth was exposed. On the top were horns of yellow."

"And beneath this was a shimmering bright costume that enveloped the body and made disguise perfect. Around the robe was a sash of brilliant red. Over the shoulders was a cape."

Voilà...the superhero costume was born. lol

The illustration on the cover and inside looks like a modification of a Klan costume. The KKK would certainly be in the consciousness of that period.

I found this scan while reading through Witches Tales. I thought about posting it but wondered whether killer frogs were only interesting in Pulps and early Golden Age comics. I then found a copy of the original art in the Heritage auction catalogue. I am always amazed by the color used in Powell stories. I noticed some blue shading on the art but not a lot of other information about colors. Sometimes I see notes for the colorist in the margin for Powell's work. So I wonder who actually did the color work on his stories. They are pretty impressive at times.

bb

2486149551_16a8c90030_b.jpg

2486149211_923495c4cb_o.jpg

He predates The Shadow, Doc Savage, The Black Bat and all the other characters we can remember from pulp history.

Very cool! Only appearance?

Very cool! Only appearance?

The Rollicking Rogue also appeared in the December, 1930 issue.

Identify the artist and the name of this comic feature that appeared in a early Golden Age comic.

quiz30.jpg

Here's a couple more panels from the story.

quiz30_2.jpg

I would guess that it is Captain Scott Dalton by Eisner. I first thought it was Shelly ripping off Foster or Raymond but that is my best guess...

bb

Identify the artist and the name of this comic feature that appeared in a early Golden Age comic.

quiz30.jpg

quiz30_2.jpg

I would guess that it is Captain Scott Dalton by Eisner. I first thought it was Shelly ripping off Foster or Raymond but that is my best guess...

bb

^^

Congratulations, BB.

I thought for sure I'd have to post a bunch more panels before anyone guessed it.

The srip was published in Wow #1 (July, 1936) and is Eisner's first professionally published comic book work.

quiz30.jpg

quiz30_2.jpg

bb

^^

Congratulations, BB.

I thought for sure I'd have to post a bunch more panels before anyone guessed it.

The srip was published in Wow #1 (July, 1936) and is Eisner's first professionally published comic book work.

:banana:

Hooray!

I thought the Gobi desert hint was pretty good. And there are a lot of Captains....

I couldn't confirn the story since I don't have a copy but I hope you can post some more scans

of the interior and covers of Wow 1 and Wow 2. I think I could recognize Eisner's art a little better if you had a few women in the panels. Or some guy in a blue suit wearing gloves and no socks

bb