• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

What about Bellum's stories?

I've read some of his detective stories and they were enjoyable in a goofy sort of way.

We should try this. Let's both (and everyone with the inclination) read the following Bellem story for Spicy Mystery (Dec. 1936) and report here! Here's the link to the PDF of that story:

Bellem's The Moon-God Takes [Note: Clicking on the link will open an Explorer window and then start downloading a PDF file]

I just printed it and plan on reading later tonight.

Cool, I'll read it tonight too. (thumbs u

What about Bellum's stories?

I've read some of his detective stories and they were enjoyable in a goofy sort of way.

We should try this. Let's both (and everyone with the inclination) read the following Bellem story for Spicy Mystery (Dec. 1936) and report here! Here's the link to the PDF of that story:

Bellem's The Moon-God Takes [Note: Clicking on the link will open an Explorer window and then start downloading a PDF file]

I just printed it and plan on reading later tonight.

Cool, I'll read it tonight too. (thumbs u

So stretched out and repetitive in places that I could hardly slug through.

"...Insistently the questions hammered within his brain. Where had the girl come from? Why was she nude? Why did she dance? How had the great grey stone been brought here? And why did the girl worship it, make obeisance to it, bruise her lovely breasts upon its grey, rough surface. . . ?"

"...And am I up to 1000 words yet? Can I make it to 2000 if I mention the part about the rock scraping her breasts a few more times?"

Still, I've read stories with less developed plots.

In comic books, come to think of it.

Jack

"...Insistently the questions hammered within his brain. Where had the girl come from? Why was she nude? Why did she dance? How had the great grey stone been brought here? And why did the girl worship it, make obeisance to it, bruise her lovely breasts upon its grey, rough surface. . . ?"

"...And am I up to 1000 words yet? Can I make it to 2000 if I mention the part about the rock scraping her breasts a few more times?"

Jack

Still have to read it but I did mention that the stories were un-memorable, right? (shrug)

I guess The Black_Hand will love it though ... breasts and all :baiting:

Jack

Still have to read it but I did mention that the stories were un-memorable, right? (shrug)

It was repetitive, but I've read worse. He had kind of a poor man's Lovecraft thing going for a little while (I think he even used the verb "gibbering"once). But that all kind of came apart with the Scooby Doo it-was-just-a-guy-in-a-costume ending. :P

Jack

It was repetitive, but I've read worse. He had kind of a poor man's Lovecraft thing going for a little while (I think he even used the verb "gibbering"once). But that all kind of came apart with the Scooby Doo it-was-just-a-guy-in-a-costume ending. :P

...but he would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids!

Jack

I like Bellem's detective stories better. :eek:

I would have enjoyed The Moon-God more if it had been a comic book story. Pretty pictures would have been a nice distraction from the overwrought writing (which I actually enjoy in the Dan Turner stories). (shrug)

Greatest. Short. Story. Ever.

Ok, I jest. It's a terrible story. It's famous in its atrocity. At SF conventions, as a late-night digression, people sit around in a circle and try to read aloud straight-faced. If you bust up laughing, the person next to you starts where you stopped. I've made it several minutes, but once lost it less than 30 seconds into the reading.

I would have enjoyed The Moon-God more if it had been a comic book story. Pretty pictures would have been a nice distraction from the overwrought writing (which I actually enjoy in the Dan Turner stories). (shrug)

I don't know about you guys but if I were Ted, I would have thought longer and harder before settling on this plan :screwy: I guess Ted has a lot of voyeur in him :o

If you're taking requests ... do you have many Adventure issues? If so, happen to have the whimsy Belarksi sailor + monkey series of covers from 1935?

Scrooge, the artist is Baumhofer, not Belarski. (tsk)

Because of your misidentification, I spent all afternoon looking in the wrong warehouse. :baiting:

:jokealert:

:foryou:

:sorry: I realized the mistake last night but didn't post to correct the artist's name. This thread should be about your books anyway ... At least I got the year right :) Thanks for posting them! I only have one of the three (the first one you posted). My favorite is this one:

adv19350815.jpg

They are so whimsical and they stand out against the white background. Now that I realize there's a Mundy story in the issue above, I know why I've had a harder time finding a copy. Thanks (thumbs u

So ... what other cover from that year struck you as post-worthy? :popcorn:

I don't know about you guys but if I were Ted, I would have thought longer and harder before settling on this plan :screwy: I guess Ted has a lot of voyeur in him :o

HAW! No kidding!

“And—and you didn’t mind impersonating a silly thing like the Moon-God?”

“No. It was—”

What do you suppose he was about to say?

"... just another Saturday night with the Trockaderos."

"... freakin' hot in there."

"... a hoot when you repeatedly pressed your bared breasts upon my rough surface, bruisingly."

Jack

My favorite is this one:

adv19350815.jpg

They are so whimsical and they stand out against the white background. Now that I realize there's a Mundy story in the issue above, I know why I've had a harder time finding a copy. Thanks (thumbs u

So ... what other cover from that year struck you as post-worthy? :popcorn:

I'll take another look and post some scans. There's a lot of really great covers from that time period.

They have the flavor of 1938/39 More Fun, Adventure, and Action Comics.

Lots of images of Ship Wrecked Sailors, African Explorers, Pirates, French Foreign Legion, etc.

This thread should be about your books anyway ...

This thread would die if not for contributions by you, BB-Gun, and others who post so many great covers and stories. That's what keeps me and others interested.

Thanks, guys. :applause:

This thread should be about your books anyway ...

This thread would die if not for contributions by you, BB-Gun, and others who post so many great covers and stories. That's what keeps me and others interested.

Thanks, guys. :applause:

Your welcome BZ. As I said before, I am just stirring the soup while the Chef is out of the kitchen. I don't have much to contribute when you dig out all of those Spicy and Adventure pulps. But I did find a 1929 pulp in my collection and spotted an ad that gave me a thrill. "Like floating on a cloud" sounds about right, A Heritage Softtail is about as close as you can get to riding on a cloud.

bb

2479464314_13cca83fbc_b.jpg

2479464536_b0838ddeec_b.jpg