• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Maybe I need more sleep but this couple on the right of that McManus page you posted positively looked Barksian in their facial features to me. Did Barks ever mention McManus as an influence? I doubt it but the similarity here struck me ... could just be coincidence.

Bringing Up Father was very popular in the twenties. Cupples and Leon published 26 issues of the platinum age comic and two Big Books. I suspect that Barks read the work. A lot of the humor seems similar. I noticed a lot of background figures in the paintings that reminded me of Gyro Gearloose's helper. But someone else could be responsible for all of that too. The style reminds me of Farr who probably was influenced by McManus (or vice-versa). Scan below is from the 1926 Big Book 1 which reprinted strips from 1919.

bb

2531546546_2fbe2b6afd_b.jpg

I noticed the "Julius Gutman & Co." stamp on the Zane Grey.

My Wow #1 has a Julius Gutman stamp, too. hm

BZ,

I think Gutman's department store must have given away comics in 1937 or 1938 as part of a Toy Store promotion. When I checked the history of the store in Baltimore, I found information about someone who hated working there but did very well in the stock market.

bb

I remember their covers as being more of the dreaded rubber band as weapon type. lol

dicktracy47.jpg

And it looks like when they are through with the rubber band and the garden tool, they are going to have a pillow fight! :o

I admit that the covers weren't as gruesome as Crime Does Not Pay but there was a string of Harvey issues where someone was getting shot on the cover with bullets (not just paper clips).

2531288494_4b482ddd03_b.jpg

Thanks for sharing again....George McManus certainly had the luck of the Irish.

He certainly did, however the story would have been better for me had he brought some of that money he won to the "bootblack".

Edited by ciorac

While searching through my stack of Sunday pages, I found this Superman page that made me a little sad. From June 10, 1951 which brought back memories of 9/11.

bb

2529242449_9528e67fd3_b.jpg

Wasn'tthere a B-17 that crashed into the Empire State building back in the '30's?

It wasn't a B-17, it was a B-25!!!