• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I really like some of those covers. The canoe cover looks like the river is coming right off the page. And the cover with the interesting frame embedded in it is unusual. And I wasn't expecting an infinity cover. I'm not sure how prevalent they were back then, but it sure seems like it would have jumped out on the newsstand.

One thing I do have a lot of are Western Story pulps.

I don't think I've ever posted any, so how about a few right now?

westernstorymagazine1927dec24.jpg

December 24, 1927

2042765733_894befc514_b.jpg

Did Street and Smith put out two weekly western pulps or did they change the name?

And I wasn't expecting an infinity cover. I'm not sure how prevalent they were back then, but it sure seems like it would have jumped out on the newsstand.

That's the only infinity cover on a pulp that I'm aware of.

Does anyone know of others from that time period?

It would be fun to find the first one.

I really like some of those covers. The canoe cover looks like the river is coming right off the page. And the cover with the interesting frame embedded in it is unusual.

The frame gimmick was used on Western Story Magazines from January 29, 1927 to August 8, 1928. I think it's pretty cool.

It's interesting to see how different pulps utilize different color schemes to identify themselves on the newsstand.

Most of the covers on the Pete Rice series have a blue-green background which is very unusual.

All cover illos by Walter Baumhofer

petericejan1934.jpg

January 1934

2042765733_894befc514_b.jpg

Did Street and Smith put out two weekly western pulps or did they change the name?

Wild West Weekly (1927-1943) and Western Story Magazine (1919-1949) were published simultaneously by Street and Smith.

There were a slew of westerns being published during that time period. I probably have at least 40-50 different titles that were on the newsstands in the 1920's and 30's.

Westerns were, I suppose, the super heroes of that era.