• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

WOW! Been a long time since I've been that blown away by some GA comic art I hadn't seen before. :headbang:

I think Winsor McCay's son did a pretty good job with the strip.

Here are scans of the entire story for those who'd like to see it. .

Generally when I think of Pete Rice, I automatically think of the old west; some unspecified time in the late 19th century.

But then I see covers like these that picture steam shovels and airplanes and I realize these stories are apparently taking place in the 20th century.

Scrooge? Anyone else?

Who has read these stories?

What's the deal?

December 1935

petericedec1935.jpg

Cover art by Robert Harris

June 1935

petericejune1935.jpg

WalterBaumhofer

From Laurie's Wild West blog:

According to the BLOOD 'N' THUNDER GUIDE TO COLLECTING PULPS, or Ed's Bible ..., "The Pete Rice novels were set in the contemporary West, where waddies still wore ten-gallon hats and strapped on gun belts but occasionally traveled in cars and airplanes."

He could also time travel apparently. He co-starred in stories about Sonny Tabor which were set in 19th century American west. Why waste a good character name once you have built him up?

16483862728_b42e9a1fb5_c.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

lol that's awesome!

Movies with Gene Autry and Roy Rogers also had contemporary settings. People were often traveling around in cars and planes but switched to horses when out on the range. Considering the size of Texas I wouldn't recommend traveling across the state on horseback, even if it is on your bucket list.

16484025128_a40c5194c7_o.jpg

Gene was also mixed up with the futuristic Phantom Empire in one of his serials.

Edited by BB-Gun

16484474390_e75543df46_b.jpg

Street Smith had a large stable of Western Characters appearing in Wild West and Western Story. Cross-overs were not that unusual. Pete Rice stories continued to appear after the demise of Pete Rice Magazine.

16049571124_0e03b8d1fd_b.jpg

16484697568_883e0c64e9_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

16484474390_e75543df46_b.jpg

Street Smith had a large stable of Western Characters appearing in Wild West and Western Story. Cross-overs were not that unusual. Pete Rice stories continued to appear after the demise of Pete Rice Magazine.

I don't remember where I found this pic but this gentlemen was proud to show off his stack of wild west weeklies too.

0a30195c07cdd070985474feda582134_zps2e05fb7a.jpg

From Laurie's Wild West blog:

According to the BLOOD 'N' THUNDER GUIDE TO COLLECTING PULPS, or Ed's Bible ..., "The Pete Rice novels were set in the contemporary West, where waddies still wore ten-gallon hats and strapped on gun belts but occasionally traveled in cars and airplanes."

He could also time travel apparently. He co-starred in stories about Sonny Tabor which were set in 19th century American west. Why waste a good character name once you have built him up?

Thanks for all the info, BB. :applause:

Maybe I should buy a copy of that pulp guide. hm

Movies with Gene Autry and Roy Rogers also had contemporary settings. People were often traveling around in cars and planes but switched to horses when out on the range.

When I was a kid I watched Roy Rogers on TV and I can recall stuff like that happening on his show. :)

However, I didn't know that was the case with Gene Autry. Strange as it may seem, I've never seen a Gene Autry movie.

Maybe I'll check Netflix and see if they have a film I can watch.

Thanks to the generosity of RedFury I received a copy of the new Walter Baumhofer book today.

In order to commemorate the event I thought I'd post a few more pulps with Baumhofer covers.

January 1933

dimewesternjan1933.jpg