• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

16484474390_e75543df46_b.jpg

Street Smith had a large stable of Western Characters appearing in Wild West and Western Story. Cross-overs were not that unusual. Pete Rice stories continued to appear after the demise of Pete Rice Magazine.

16049571124_0e03b8d1fd_b.jpg

16484697568_883e0c64e9_b.jpg

That's a nice collection you have there.

Have you read any of them?

I'm looking for recommendations regarding who were the better authors writing for those titles.

I don't remember where I found this pic but this gentlemen was proud to show off his stack of wild west weeklies too.

0a30195c07cdd070985474feda582134_zps2e05fb7a.jpg

I wonder what's this guy's story.

Is he an author; a reader?

We'll probably never know. :sorry:

Thanks to the generosity of RedFury I received a copy of the new Walter Baumhofer book today.

In order to commemorate the event I thought I'd post a few more pulps with Baumhofer covers.

January 1933

dimewesternjan1933.jpg

You're welcome, BZ :)

Amazing lighting in this one. There's no campfire in the picture, but you can tell it's just off-screen.

Oh, wait, wait... is Wild West Weekly larger than "normal" pulp size? It looks larger in that pic.

That would be interesting. hm

I don't remember where I found this pic but this gentlemen was proud to show off his stack of wild west weeklies too.

I wonder what's this guy's story.

Is he an author; a reader?

We'll probably never know. :sorry:

Street Smith had a large stable of Western Characters appearing in Wild West and Western Story. Cross-overs were not that unusual. Pete Rice stories continued to appear after the demise of Pete Rice Magazine.

16049571124_0e03b8d1fd_b.jpg

16484697568_883e0c64e9_b.jpg

That's a nice collection you have there.

Have you read any of them?

I'm looking for recommendations regarding who were the better authors writing for those titles.

I have a couple of boxes of Western Pulps and many are from the thirties. My father collected pulps or at least kept his collection from his youth for many years. It disappeared long before I developed an interest in collecting pulps myself. I don't think it was hi-grade and I didn't read any of them or any of mine. I used to read mostly science fiction when I was younger and murder mysteries when I grew old and moth-eaten. :insane:

Great Photo!!!

Another nice one! Seeing the girl in the red dress reminded me I recently upgraded my Jun 1938 Weird Tales courtesy of MrBedrock.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252031%2520No%25206%2520Jun%25201938%2520A.jpg

It's in gorgeous shape. :applause:

I love the spiderwebs and the black background.

Oh, wait, wait... is Wild West Weekly larger than "normal" pulp size? It looks larger in that pic.

It does look larger in that photo but according to info I found online the title was standard pulp size from August 3, 1927 – November 1943.

I found a photo of it online.

wildwestweekly19310221.jpg

It's Dr. Seuss' birthday today. confetti.gif

To commemorate this special day I'm posting a Gerald McBoing Boing story.

Gerald McBoing-Boing is an animated short film produced by United Productions of America (UPA) and given wide release by Columbia Pictures on November 2, 1950. The winner of the 1950 Academy Award for Best Animated Short, Gerald McBoing-Boing is the story of a little boy who speaks through sound effects instead of spoken words.

It was adapted by Phil Eastman and Bill Scott from a story by Dr. Seuss, directed by Robert Cannon, and produced by John Hubley. In 1994, it was voted #9 of The 50 Greatest Cartoons of all time by members of the animation field, making it the highest ranked UPA cartoon on the list. In 1995, it was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

Dr. Seuss's story originally appeared on a children's record, scored by Billy May, issued by Capitol Records, and read by radio veteran Harold Peary.

This comic book version appeared in the 1st issue of Gerald McBoing Boing which was published in 1952. It was illustrated, according to GCD, by either Mel Crawford or P.D. Eastman.

mcboing1.jpg