• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heidi on the 'Bay

171 posts in this topic

...and one sat unnoticed and closed without a bid (I think it had a dollar or two starting price) about 2 years ago. that would have made for a nice return on investment...

A couple of years ago one went for just over a thousand, I think $1,025. Over the space of a month there were three that went for prices over $600. Who can tell?

I don't know who is buying them. There is the nostalgia factor (thanks Bob-a-loo) the investment factor, the fact the it is either the rarest or among the very rarest Warren magazine and the closet case factor. The scantily clad photos of her don't seem to move though, so I am guessing that the closet case factor is minimal.

Those were weird times for me. They seemed to be weird times for all the other people in the dealers room of the New York Comic Convention too. We were all but exclusively male and not one of us looked like we played on the high school football team. We had a solitary interest and there were only several hundred people in the whole continent who would go to New York for the largest comic convention of its day. It was a far cry from the huge San Diego Convention today. In the middle of this mess was a physically beautiful girl. It was hardly surprising that attention focused on her.

It's neat to hear other people who were there's perspective of the happenings in this time and the place. My memory of the (July 4th) New York Comic (Art) Convention is exactly as you describe it - truly a weird time. But It was also a GREAT convention.

I went to the San Diego Con for the first time last year with my son and his college roomate who are fans of the new generation of comic artists and characters, and compared to what you see today, Heidi might as well have been dressed as a nun .

The downside of books like this Heidi Saha magazine, in my opinion, is that a couple of generations from now the significance of this book as a nostalgia piece for baby-boomer comic nerds will be lost (or greatly diminished) and the value could drop precipitously.

I am guessing the people who spend upwards of $400 for it care all that much about ROI though.

While we're on the subject of Vampi, and it seems as though we have a few real experts here - I wonder if anyone can confirm who this gal posing scantily-clad with Forest Ackerman is? The caption says "Trina Petit (now Robbins)" but I read that Trina Robbins is now a feminist-activist comic artist. I can't imagine someone ike that posing like this.

But the writing on the the photo of the model in repose, is signed "To Forry from his (illegible) discovery (illegible) Trina"

My curiousity's peaked because she looks a lot like Frank Frazetta's rendition of Vampi on Vampirella #1, and it has been written in several journals that Trina Petit helped Frank to envision Vampi, but the story goes it was a phone conversation from Jim Warren's office between Frank and Trina, nothing about a photo of her posing as a "vamp".

Darn if she doesn't look like Vampirella, especially her hair (style not color) and eyes.

trina22lu.jpg

trina3ms.jpg

Supposedly Vampirella's face (and possibly body as well) were inspired by a youthful sweetheart of Jim Warren's, with whom he was later reunited. But I'm unsure of how much/ in what way Warren dictated Vampi's look to Frazetta for that first image.