• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phil Levine's video tour of his warehouses stuffed with collectibles

97 posts in this topic

I watched the video and it actually scared me away from wanting to buy his stuff. Was that the point?

"Dad, was that your commercial? I don't know." Simpsons

The one thing that you could say if you were to buy all of this mess is " Want to know what was showing at 6:30 pm Eastern standard time, on CBS, January 22nd, 1957? I can tell you!" Imagine the power you would feel with such knowledge. I don't know how Mr. Levine could give that up. TV Guide power is all-encompassing you know.

Scott

It was a very strange video to say the least. The comments above reflect that it was not a particular success because we know very little of actually what is within Levine's collection other than what was discussed. I was shaking my head throughout thinking this is exactly what my wife will NEVER allow happen. I barely have a closet or two of space where I can put my stuff!

Now, as I said, anyone who knows Levine or at least knows of him through some source is aware that he has some great stuff. But basically none of the items I know he has that are worth "real" money were displayed in the video. I still am befuddled why they would use ebay to sell this type of collection when the promotion fails except to the extent it reaches people who would know what the collection holds. And those people could have been contacted through other means.

However, for all we know, the auction to sell the entire collection was more of a pr device to simply raise attention to the fact that now the individual items will be offered for sale. With that in mind, it can be deemed to at least be a partial success (hey, we're discussing it!) and came about with very little expense.

There were the EC and Fawcett bound volumes. And around the middle he went deep into one of the warehouses and rifled through a few GA comics. It was too dark, however, to see them. He read the titles. Plus all the promotional and giveaway comics he was crowing about. Mr. Waid, (Esquire Comics) seems to be conferring some legitimacy to those boasts..

I'm 'FRAID that:

WAID = Writer

ZAID = Lawyer

Nuff SAID .

that was a fun video - what a huckster.......... 893whatthe.gif

personally, i like the idea of picking up a half dozen old Tv Guides from the 50's and 60's and just perusing them to recall what i was watching as a kid......... cloud9.gif

and some of the really old "Pre Nationals" already have bids in the $300-$500 range............ hail.gif

The first auction was an advertisement, plain and simple. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. If it was really intended to move in bulk, there would have been more info than a handful of pics and a crappy video.

and some of the really old "Pre Nationals" already have bids in the $300-$500 range............ hail.gif

You aren't kidding! Those things are no joke. This one is close to $600 and it's beat to hell with a detached cover and interior pages!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300093931603&category=280

But don't forget about the one and only TV guide stand. You too can display your TV guides in an official stand. I couldn't believe how he treated his "treasures" on a sales video. He would pick up a set of cards and drop them down after saying how valuable they are. Every time he crammed a collectible back into a box and crammed the box into a shelf - made me think "ok - it was a 8.0 and now its a 6.0. Please let someone buy it before its turned into VG."

893applaud-thumb.gif MORE VIDEO! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Famous Strongman JOE BONOMO POSTER Autographed

From Bonomo's own estate! Great Video in description!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Famous-Strongman-JOE...oQQcmdZViewItem

BOXING BLUEPRINT YANKEE STADIUM Marciano MOORE

From Levine Boxing Collection! Video in description!

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOXING-BLUEPRINT-YAN...7QQcmdZViewItem

"Marciano and Moore....whoever they were"

The guy has the largest boxing memorabilia collection out there and he doesn't know who Rocky Marciano was? foreheadslap.gifscrewy.gif

I fired off this email to the folks at Bakertowne.

bakertownequestions @ yahoo.com

RE: ebay ICON Mr. Levine - Please shoot more video descriptions for his auctions

I've started a thread discussing Mr. Levine's collections over at the CGC (Certified Guaranty Company)Comic Book Collectors Society General Message Board.

Would you care to become involved and discuss the comic book aspect of your forthcoming auctions?

And could you please notify Mr. and Mrs. Levine that there are many people that remember them from all the shows they've attended and would love to have an opportunity to discuss what comic books they own that will be for sale?

Here is the link to the website.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...rt=all&vc=1

Thanks very much.

Or the bit about TV Guide with George Reeves and Superman on the cover. "Where else are you going to find that?"

Here!

3 copies for sale on eBay each with a BIN ay $2.95 + $3 S&H

Those are reissues. gossip.gif

boo.gifmakepoint.gif Next time I'll read the description flamed.gif

The guy has the largest boxing memorabilia collection out there and he doesn't know who Rocky Marciano was? foreheadslap.gifscrewy.gif

this is for you ..... foreheadslap.gif

this is for you ..... foreheadslap.gif

foreheadslap.gif

C'mon, the guy's not an *spoon* (i d i o t, is what I wrote). I'm sure he's aware of tons of trivia. He just dosen't care. He's become inured. His response is to be sarcasatic. I'd go so far as to say he feels actual contempt for much of what many collectors hold dear. He's been in the business so long and has probably met a lot of weirdos. He's had enough and can't wait to retire. I'd like to hear some of the outrageous tales he could tell. I'm sure he'd love to tell them to a receptive audience.