• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phil Levine's video tour of his warehouses stuffed with collectibles

97 posts in this topic

Well...the following auction proves to me at least that there is a lack of communication and that the auctioneer doesn't have a clue about comics...

"Cover List" ???...

Coverless?

If so..... foreheadslap.gif

They all look like they've had plain, white, homemade covers attached to them.

Those books with the blank covers are actually from Lou's original comic book project, the "Tomb" there were many of those, some were partially printed covers, some were black and white, all Charlton, some books with the wrong covers. I visited him a few times at the warehouse, very very nice man...Tends to make a few spelling errors, but so do I..;)

What I am trying to say is those are not from the "Levine" collection, and I really do think the first auction was a publicity stunt...and a cheap way to get some at that...:) and I thought the statement about Marciano and Lewis was sarcastic? Or Ironic?

I'm not interested in TV Guides, but I'm enjoying the Videos, it's like watching a comedy I saw when I was a kid at some of the Catskills Hotels...;)cloud9.gif

You guys are great. Thank you for all of the nice comments over the years. Yes-- I am selling everything. Yes-- I have golden age as well. The price on Turok #1 is not going to drop. If it were-- it would have already since I sold about 50 copies over the years. The Marciano thing was a joke and I was tired -- don't take me so serious. Those of you who know me know that I love to joke around. you only live once -- lighten up. When you hit 60 sometimes you get a senior moment. What else do you want to know. You have my attention. Special thanks to Mark Zaid and Blam,Blam,Blam. I don't like to type so keep it brief and be patient. By the way Lou Kahn from bakertownecollectables is one of the nicest guys you will ever want to meet. Thanks, Phil Levine

You guys are great. Thank you for all of the nice comments over the years. Yes-- I am selling everything. Yes-- I have golden age as well. The price on Turok #1 is not going to drop. If it were-- it would have already since I sold about 50 copies over the years. The Marciano thing was a joke and I was tired -- don't take me so serious. Those of you who know me know that I love to joke around. you only live once -- lighten up. When you hit 60 sometimes you get a senior moment. What else do you want to know. You have my attention. Special thanks to Mark Zaid and Blam,Blam,Blam. I don't like to type so keep it brief and be patient. By the way Lou Kahn from bakertownecollectables is one of the nicest guys you will ever want to meet. Thanks, Phil Levine

Hey Phil,

How about selling some of your comics here on the board....I would like a NM Turok #1 yay.gif

hi.gif I remember bidding against you on lots of Bakertowne 20 comics silver age lots!

Those books with the blank covers are actually from Lou's original comic book project, the "Tomb" there were many of those, some were partially printed covers, some were black and white, all Charlton, some books with the wrong covers. I visited him a few times at the warehouse, very very nice man...Tends to make a few spelling errors, but so do I..;)

What I am trying to say is those are not from the "Levine" collection, and I really do think the first auction was a publicity stunt...and a cheap way to get some at that...:) and I thought the statement about Marciano and Lewis was sarcastic? Or Ironic?

I'm not interested in TV Guides, but I'm enjoying the Videos, it's like watching a comedy I saw when I was a kid at some of the Catskills Hotels...;)cloud9.gif

eBay User ID bakertownecollectables is selling Phil and Lenore Levine's

TV Guides, Comic Books and other truly rare collectibles!

Click on the link, scroll down and press play on the Google video of a tour of their warehouses.

http://stores.ebay.com/Bakertowne-Rarities_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

That is a freakin' scream! 27_laughing.gif Thanks for posting! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Hi Phil,

Welcome to the boards. If you look at my post you see it is Re skypinkblu and the comment is thus addressed to skypinkblu.

But now that I have your attention, tell us more about what 1930s and 1940s comics you have! We are rabid comics fans here and really want to know what you've got stashed away!

Does your stock include lots of DC superhero gold? Timelys? Hordes of low-grade EC?

All of us were watching that video desperately wanting to hear about the comics!

Best,

Marc

I'd love to see more of the rare Klaw photos of Bettie Page...
Speaking of Bettie, I was lucky enough to purchase 36 original 4x5 Irving Klaw photos of her a couple of years ago.

They were so fresh and so sharp that a major dealer said he doubted that they were authentic, and if they were, they were the nicest examples he'd ever seen. Well, I had the original mailing envelope that the pics came in, plus they were printed on photo-paper that was used during that era (silver nitrate paper or something, I'm not sure)....anyway, I paid $500 for them....I sold 34 of them for $1500 (total) soon afterward (to the first person I contacted about them).

I still have 2 of the photos plus the original envelope. I'm not sure if I got a good deal or not, something tells me I may have undersold them...oh well, easy come, easy go.

I would love to see more video. I find them very entertaining and informative.

headbang.gif I second that. headbang.gif

hail.gif Your old-school salesmanship puts you, truly, at the level of an ebay icon. hail.gif

I don't believe that you should limit yourself, time-wise, with regards to these videos.

Just cut loose and have fun. insane.gif Might I suggest you pull some special items and record yourself like they do on the Home Shopping Network: in an air-conditioned room with good lighting. It's easier to be entertaining when you are calm, cool and collected. What is important is the back-story - tell us something we don't know - (and we know quite a lot, believe me), not just the obvious that will be listed in the auction description, anyway. A key phrase, however, should be written and inserted into all of the auction descriptions that contain videos so as to be easier to find. (Lou has done this by adding "Video Description" in the auction sub-title. I hope he continues to do so. Also, what do your Certificates of Authenticity look like?)

Several different collections are mentioned in the auction descriptions.

Could you, please, go into more detail about the original owners of these collections, what they collected and, perhaps, why they chose to collect what they did, as well as the circumstances that led them to sell them to you? Any personal anecdotes concerning some of the more outrageous characters you must have met over the years, both buyers and sellers, famous and/or odd, would be greatly appreciated.

Have you had any dealings with any mobsters? gossip.gif I ask not to incriminate yourself but only because news.gif the mob has always had a part, however small, in the comics industry.

And finally, as someone who has probably seen everything that could be concievably collectable, what, out of it all, will you be choosing to personally keep and why?

We are looking forward to hearing your tales of wonder 893whatthe.gif and pathos screwy.gif.

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

hi.gif I remember bidding against you on lots of Bakertowne 20 comics silver age lots!

I remember you, too...lol...and you WON too many times...Nice to meet you...I've been on the eBay chatboard for years, just lurk here some times, but lots of nice people here:) hi.gifhi.gif

And nice to meet you Phil, happy Passover! hi.gifcloud9.gif

I need a course in Gremlins...;)

You're very welcome Phil. I've heard a great deal of your collection over the years and it will obviously be quite a daunting task to sell it all but no doubt very rewarding.

More importantly, I am really looking forward to the forthcoming auctions so I can finally buy all those promotional books you "stole" from me on ebay!!! poke2.gifflowerred.gif

Best of luck with your auctions. I'll be watching (and bidding)!

thumbsup2.gif

Wow!!!!!!!! You want me to write a book. Maybe I should. Any Ghost Writers out there? I will do little tidbits. I would love to keep my giveaways and Catechetical Guild Comics. I have a ton of them.

Perhaps we can do a video of the room with those comics (which was not part of the other videos).

I had a gastric bypass 28 months ago and lost 120 pounds. My only tie with mobsters was that 120 pounds ago people would stop me on the street and ask for my autograph because they said I looked like Tony Soprano.

I bought many collections over the years. When I was 8 years old I sold my 10 cent DC Comics for 12 cents each in the schoolyard (School 13) in Paterson, NJ. The teacher used to make me a little mimeographed list of the comics and I would give them out and sell the comics.

I don't know if Mark Z. will let me keep my giveaways. I know we were always bidding against each other. We will take it one step at a time.

NEXT INSTALLMENT -- The Paper Junkyard in Paterson, New Jersey throughout the 1950's and my weekly visit to it with my late father.

FOLLOWED BY -- My weekly bus ride to The Passaic Book Store in Passaic, New Jersey.

Stand by and everyone be well, Phil Levine smile.gif

Thanks, dude. What a mensch. I forgot to ask, "What was the reserve for the whole...what would be the Yiddish phrase for the entire collection?"

EDIT: Mr. Levine mentioned writing a book. I'm reminded of that Christian comic book store owner that wrote his life story in a manner similar to Chuck's "Tales from the Database".

Help me out, here, forumites. The web address is listed somewhere here.

I'd like to show Mr. Levine an example of what is possible. Tidbits are chewy but I'll be hungry in a minute.

Take your time, do it right, baby. Do it tonight. (That's a song.)

And yes, I'll ghost your book. I'm known as HypeMasterMayhem where I come from.

call me @ 727-327-7682. What's my cut? Or do you simply need a typist.