• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have seen the future of comics.......

54 posts in this topic

on an aside note,

is that Captain America one available? if so, I'd like a link for it. Would love a chance to read the GA Cap stuff.

It's not the Golden Age material: "Over 41 Years of Captain America comic books from Nov. 1964 thru Dec 2006". And it's a pre-order item: "This item will be released on April 10, 2007".

Here's the Amazon link for it: CLICK

Most of us here on the boards collect comics for fun as well as an investment, thanks to CGC.

However, I have come across tons of collectors who simply cannot afford to purchase back issue comics from the 40's-80's and have turned to purchasing complete sets of comics on CD's.

I have seen the quality of these scanned comics on CD and they are fantastic. So don't be so sure that these CD's won't take off in sales...... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

the CDs are cool for archival purposes, as was pointed out earllier, and their publishers hope theres a market for them. I see them remaindered fo ryears to come till they are out of stock and available for download for free.

People won't buy a comic book on a CD. They will want to buy an animated feature. A comic book on a CD is like a picture of a sun dial on your digital watch.

Dennis

27_laughing.gif Very well put.

Well, if people won't buy,companies probably wouldn't produce them. These boxed sets aren't off in some distant future, they're available now. confused-smiley-013.gif

B000OON842.01-A1YG1VZVF48PM9._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V24329827_.jpgB000NDPVRG.01-A1YG1VZVF48PM9._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V46048318_.jpg

B000E28UT2.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgB000EDGO2Q.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B000FJSA2G.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgB000MVP5I4.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V24895257_.jpg

Those are some major exceptions due to the fact that majority of collectors could never afford anything of those runs from beginning to end. We're talking future comics, no? Besides to put 40 some years worth of books in a cd and sell vs to try to sell 1 issue on a cd is different.

For One Publisher, the Life of Every Comic Book Starts on the Web

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/25/techno...3f2&ei=5070

AN ANTHOLOGY OF GRAPHIC FICTION, CARTOONS, AND TRUE STORIES

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/03/books/...p;ex=1175572800

Amazing Tales of Superheroes, Starring You

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/02/techno...23b&ei=5070

Neuenschwander-100.jpg

The Museum of Modern Art, New York

Comic Abstraction: Image-Breaking, Image-Making

March 4–June 11, 2007

http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/2007/comic_abstraction/flash.html

ART REVIEW; Visions That Flaunt Cartoon Pedigrees

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C04EEDC1631F931A35750C0A9619C8B63

The Malibu CD-Romix were cool. I used to have a couple of them. In fact, I was unaware of the Ultraverse until those came out. I started buying the Ultraverse titles after that. But again, there was a case where the CD product caused me to buy... more comics.

I think it's too early to say "comics will be dead in ..." The age for the collector is trending upward and will continue to do so for some time. And that's fine, I'm not yet 30 and don't plan on dying anytime soon!

Comics will come back in style. There may be a generation gap or we might start to see comics come out in larger digests every 3 months or whatever as opposed to monthly. But they'll still be around and still be collectible.

I have a couple of the cd rom marvel collections and i`m going to get the avengers collection,but that being said i find them hard to read on the computer and they are only used for reference.

I`ve used them now and then to read a couple storys when i did`nt have the comics or the marvel essentials tpb`s,but it really puts a strain on my eyes to focus on the computer screen the way i would a comic or book. :P

give me the comic BOOK, not the comic cd.

most kids have no interest in reading comics, cd or book it does not matter.

if it is not a movie or video game, they have no interest.

i have a box of beaters from the 80's and 90's. i give them to nephews and neices, or any kid that happens to cross my path.

they look at ,then toss it. even funny animal stuff.

it is real hard to get kids interested in comics.

That animated gif reminds me a sidewalk chalk drawing I saw across the street from the SDCC where the color drawing on the ground looked distorted on the ground, but when you looked through it with a single large fish-eye lens (not 3-D lenses) placed next to it it appeared 3-D. Something very impressive and I hadn't seen before.

"most kids have no interest in reading comics, cd or book it does not matter.

they look at ,then toss it. even funny animal stuff."

Look at it from their perspective. It's really no contest. I agree. Viddys rule.

Who'd have ever thought of comics as an adult thing?

Novel readership is down, too, so it's not just the kids, either.

I guess it's the reading part that sets us "intellectuals" apart.

And something else.