• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Carter of Mars Thread

883 posts in this topic

So as not to disappoint the homoerotic traditions of Comics General, I'd like to mention the Carter actor had huge, half-dollar sized areolas.

Is this a threesome with Ogami, Tupenny and Theagenes or can I join in?

I'm irritated JR isn't posting. I texted him & asked him to forget about his family & the Loch Ness Monster long enough to check the thread.

I'm irritated JR is posting. I texted him & asked him to forget about his family & the Loch Ness Monster long enough to check the thread.

Is that what he calls it?

:eek:

I'm irritated JR is posting. I texted him & asked him to forget about his family & the Loch Ness Monster long enough to check the thread.

Is that what he calls it?

:eek:

I'll text now.

Are you kidding? I'm singing solo. :cry:

Neither of the aforementioned gentlemen has responded to my posts.

Did you read my spoiler?

Neither of the aforementioned gentlemen have responded to my posts.

Did you read my spoiler?

I responded to your text. That's better.

Did you read my spoiler?

:cloud9: slut

Did you read my spoiler?

It was the perfect response to your needy text.

Dejah Thoris, The Princess of Mars.

20th Century fantasy illustration has made her legend. I suppose we’re all in love with her. I fell in love with her in my early adolescence through art; well before I read Burroughs. In my early or perhaps mid-‘30’s I reread Tarzan of the Apes & then, for the first time, read the first two Mars books. I got to ERB’s soldier as a man; his princess got to me as I was becoming a man.

I’m not sure if I’ve ever read another author who can move the action along any faster. I recall TotA was composed of 1 or 2 sentence paragraphs. ERB’s prose is the kind I like: late 19th – early 20th century. The two Mars books are simple stories of high adventure. High style with masterful language, non-stop action, Dejah Thoris. JC is unstoppable in them. I fault the books the most for that. There’s no convincing threat or menace to JC, as I recall. He is the proto-Superman. I believe the 2nd book ends in a cliffhanger that poses the plausible possibility that JC might not make it or save the day. I recall it because of that surprise.

The movie is terrific: the action swift, the plot straightforward, the effects lush & beautiful, the acting good. I can find no significant fault with the film; which I believe has become the sport for the critics & audience; though I haven’t seen or read a professional review & have only read a fraction of this thread. As for the film’s JC, we see he can be beaten, but not easily. Even by critics.

I have never seen the actors before. The man playing JC was strong. The woman playing Dejah Thoris is, at least in my mind, the feminine ideal. I won’t bother with anymore description or superlatives. I never stopped being in love with Dejah Thoris; & yet today, I’m in love with Dejah Thoris anew.

Perhaps critics have found the storytelling to be mildly ponderous; I agree though it avoids a muddle with great style. ERB’s stories are about style & this movie replicates that style. Good poetry is always a challenge. It’s heavy lifting at times. That can frustrate readers & cause them to call it ponderous or labored – or just an incoherent mess. Adventure stories, good ones, celebrate the same challenge. Give us panache & style & help us avoid tiresome substance at the Saturday matinee. Give us High Style on Barsoom, hurdling through the sky, the Princess of Mars in our arms.

Tup talks good. Well stated Bill!!

Neither of the aforementioned gentlemen has responded to my posts.

Did you read my spoiler?

I did and I'll keep it in mind when we see the flick.

(thumbs u

Did you read my spoiler?

I think I just waited the correct amount of time to reply.

Did you read my spoiler?

I think I just waited the correct amount of time to reply.

It's important to know how to be cool when interneting. A decent sense of time can help.

I'm irritated JR isn't posting. I texted him & asked him to forget about his family & the Loch Ness Monster long enough to check the thread.

. It's Sasquatch not Loch Ness I'm infatuated with you dork. I swear Bill sometimes I wonder if you even know me.

And I'M needy...