• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Carter of Mars Thread

883 posts in this topic

John Carter got 50% from critics and almost 75% from the audience. More then enough for me to go see it. Been trying to find a TPB of the old 70s comics I read to refresh.

pick up the omnibus from Amazon for 65 dollars. The print quality is awesome!

Can I take my whole family to this? My kids are 10 and 8. The violence doesnt bother me is there anything else to be concerned about?

They are the perfect age. They will love it. Disney really missed the boat in not doing any merchandising for this. Where are the toys and action figures that could have help pay for it? It's like they were determined to commit financial suicide. :pullhair:

I'm really enjoying the comments here that make it sound like anyone who didn't like the movie obviously doesn't enjoy the source material. That's a terrible assumption that feels like a smack in the face to ERB fans.

The movie's enjoyable on some level, but the storytelling itself is a bit of a jumbled mess. They cram tons of information into the first ten minutes, and the main menace plotline is confusing (or at least, not explained enough to make it meaningful on any emotional level) right up until the end, when it's finally explained Scooby Doo style. That's weak writing.

There are still fun moments, Woola is fantastic, Dejah Thoris was better than I could've ever hoped, the action is fun, and the CG is incredible.

But not all things work for all people, so to insinuate that if you don't like the movie you're not a true ERB fan is simply appalling, elitist BS.

I agree with this to some extant, but i didn't think it was enough of a problem to detract from the overall experience, which I really enjoyed. I thought there were some pacing issues as well in a few places. It was a lot of story to be crammed into 2 hours and that did require some exposition, but I didn't think it was a jumbled mess. I think that most of the issues that I had with it could be easily addressed by a well-edited extended version that gives the story room to breathe. Similiar to Watchmen in that regard.

Yeah, "jumbled mess" might be too harsh. And I'm with you, I bet there's footage out there that, if added back into the film, would make it a better story. Which is what makes it so frustrating for me. It's so close to be what I wanted.

But I still have some questions about the story, which is never a good thing. And there's a spoiler in my question, so beware...but what exactly did they say in the Thark temple? That scene happened so fast, that I'm not certain what they discovered. All I know is that it told them to go down the River Iss. And that begs another question: if Dejah Thoris believes that same religion, why did she need to read something on a wall to remember that element of their religious story?

It's a small plot point, but the type that, if made a little more clear, it would've been more rewarding later in the story.

Here's my take. Spoiler alert!

It described a "Gate of Issus" that the river led to that sounded like it could be a gateway like the cave on Earth. The carved image of the gate looked like the amulet.

Basically what I got was that Dejah didn't believe in the Issus religion or the Therns, but had some passing knowledge of it. She thought JC was either a crazy religious nut who thought he was a Thern (or a fraud) and she was humoring him to get him to help her, but once they were out she started leading them to Helium instead of the River Iss.

I went into it with a negative mind, but after a short bit I ended up really enjoying it. I'd give it 3 1/2 stars no problem. God that woman is beautiful
. In all aspects Dejah was perfectly cast!

'John Carter' leaps, nay, skips to soft $500,000 at midnight showings

However "John Carter" performs this weekend (we're predicting a $26 million debut), the movie will likely find a bit more love overseas. Disney announced that the film already posted the biggest opening day ever in Russia with a projected $6.5 million.

:banana:

Disney needs it to be in the $30 (+) million dollar range.

:wishluck:

An Associated Press article in the newspaper this morning stated the $250 million production John Carter should lose about $165 million at the box-office. Not saying this is a bad movie (I like the previews), but that animated movie with Taylor Swift as a voice is really kicking Disney's butt. After Cars 2 under-performing last summer and the last critically panned Pirates movie, Disney really needs to get back on track with their marketing for the best possible audiences (Domestically that is). My 2c

Dejah Thoris, The Princess of Mars.

20th Century fantasy illustration has made her legend. I suppose we’re all in love with her. I fell in love with her in my early adolescence through art; well before I read Burroughs. In my early or perhaps mid-‘30’s I reread Tarzan of the Apes & then, for the first time, read the first two Mars books. I got to ERB’s soldier as a man; his princess got to me as I was becoming a man.

I’m not sure if I’ve ever read another author who can move the action along any faster. I recall TotA was composed of 1 or 2 sentence paragraphs. ERB’s prose is the kind I like: late 19th – early 20th century. The two Mars books are simple stories of high adventure. High style with masterful language, non-stop action, Dejah Thoris. JC is unstoppable in them. I fault the books the most for that. There’s no convincing threat or menace to JC, as I recall. He is the proto-Superman. I believe the 2nd book ends in a cliffhanger that poses the plausible possibility that JC might not make it or save the day. I recall it because of that surprise.

The movie is terrific: the action swift, the plot straightforward, the effects lush & beautiful, the acting good. I can find no significant fault with the film; which I believe has become the sport for the critics & audience; though I haven’t seen or read a professional review & have only read a fraction of this thread. As for the film’s JC, we see he can be beaten, but not easily. Even by critics.

I have never seen the actors before. The man playing JC was strong. The woman playing Dejah Thoris is, at least in my mind, the feminine ideal. I won’t bother with anymore description or superlatives. I never stopped being in love with Dejah Thoris; & yet today, I’m in love with Dejah Thoris anew.

Perhaps critics have found the storytelling to be mildly ponderous; I agree though it avoids a muddle with great style. ERB’s stories are about style & this movie replicates that style. Good poetry is always a challenge. It’s heavy lifting at times. That can frustrate readers & cause them to call it ponderous or labored – or just an incoherent mess. Adventure stories, good ones, celebrate the same challenge. Give us panache & style & help us avoid tiresome substance at the Saturday matinee. Give us High Style on Barsoom, hurdling through the sky, the Princess of Mars in our arms.

I see that Bill just posted his review. I will ignore it and post mine own, then read his.

I too, ended up going to the afternoon showing and LOVED it.

Loved it, loved it, loved it, loved it.

And that is my critical review.

Honestly, I didn't see any worthwhile flaws to mention, and that's saying something.

Yes, it's kid friendly.

Yes, it's a good solid bit of storytelling.

Yes, you have to pay attention, but that's not a bad thing. Tinker Tailer, it ain't.

Yes, the actress playing the Princess is STUNNING.

Yes, it looks great.

Yes, I personally loved his motivation throughout the story, coming to a head in the sword fight mid-movie.

Yes, I will be buying it, and looking forward to part 2.

No, there's no end scene after the credits. But I could tell you who the 3rd gaffer on the boat team, second from the left is.

Finally, for those who like serendipity, or Easter eggs, or whatever form of literary connectivity they might find, there was a nice little Christian allegory that C.S. Lewis would have LOVED. I'll put in in a spoiler, and if anyone cares, they can respond:

So let's get the obvious bit out of the way. John Carter. JC. Jesus Christ.

And then the not so obvious bit that Lewis would have loved, that a few posting in this thread have alluded to. At one point, the princess calls him either a madman or a liar. A bit later in the film, he smirks and replies that he might be either a liar or a lunatic, with the suggestion there is a third choice. Savior perhaps? And of course, John Carter is the Savior of Mars.

C.S. Lewis crafted an argument that Jesus Christ was either a liar, a lunatic or LORD, but not a simple prophet or a good man, since he claimed to be God. Lewis then goes on to discount the first two options and arrive at, "Jesus is LORD".

Whether Burroughs intended this, or a screenwriter somehow snuck this in, I have no idea, but as I watched it, I was pleasantly surprised.

20th Century fantasy illustration has made her legend. I suppose we’re all in love with her. I fell in love with her in my early adolescence through art; well before I read Burroughs. In my early or perhaps mid-‘30’s I reread Tarzan of the Apes & then, for the first time, read the first two Mars books. I got to ERB’s soldier as a man; his princess got to me as I was becoming a man.

I’m not sure if I’ve ever read another author who can move the action along any faster. I recall TotA was composed of 1 or 2 sentence paragraphs. ERB’s prose is the kind I like: late 19th – early 20th century. The two Mars books are simple stories of high adventure. High style with masterful language, non-stop action, Dejah Thoris. JC is unstoppable in them. I fault the books the most for that. There’s no convincing threat or menace to JC, as I recall. He is the proto-Superman. I believe the 2nd book ends in a cliffhanger that poses the plausible possibility that JC might not make it or save the day. I recall it because of that surprise.

The movie is terrific: the action swift, the plot straightforward, the effects lush & beautiful, the acting good. I can find no significant fault with the film; which I believe has become the sport for the critics & audience; though I haven’t seen or read a professional review & have only read a fraction of this thread. As for the film’s JC, we see he can be beaten, but not easily. Even by critics.

I have never seen the actors before. The man playing JC was strong. The woman playing Dejah Thoris is, at least in my mind, the feminine ideal. I won’t bother with anymore description or superlatives. I never stopped being in love with Dejah Thoris; & yet today, I’m in love with Dejah Thoris anew.

Perhaps critics have found the storytelling to be mildly ponderous; I agree though it avoids a muddle with great style. ERB’s stories are about style & this movie replicates that style. Good poetry is always a challenge. It’s heavy lifting at times. That can frustrate readers & cause them to call it ponderous or labored – or just an incoherent mess. Adventure stories, good ones, celebrate the same challenge. Give us panache & style & help us avoid tiresome substance at the Saturday matinee. Give us High Style on Barsoom, hurdling through the sky, the Princess of Mars in our arms.

Well done, Bill. You've convinced me to give the original stories a go.

And good job on the proto-superman ideal. I thought of that too, with JC's "with a single (many) bound! (s)"

And we must share a type, cause the princess rang all my bells.

:applause: