• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Carter of Mars Thread

883 posts in this topic

I saw it and was disappointed in the incredible mess of a plot and a waste of talent. Simply because it was a rehash of Lucus remakes (when you first hear the Tarks talk I almost barfed thinking Jar Jar Binks was making a cameo.

Since this movie was made in murky 3D remember it is 5-8% more expensive to see this movie so it will have to make $40M+ to be a $20M opening. I think people will be drawn in by the great trailers, but like other flops the trailers were the best part.

rantrant

I thoroughly enjoyed it! My wife loved, my loved it. The critics were insufficiently_thoughtful_persons. Most of the complaints were that the plot was too complex and too hard to folllow. God forbid a genre film actually have some depth to it. Did you have to follow more than two factions? Yes. Did you need to pay attention to what was going on? Yes. Is it a film that's accessible to every idiotic, snotty, mouth-breathing, wannabe critic with a blog? No.

Reno, here on the boards, had some legit complaints and I agree with some of them, but I don't think they were that a big a deal in the larger scheme of things. Most of the changes that were made from the original are understandable and were necessary if you're going to do a cohesive trilogy (something ERB had not originally intended).

I thought is was visually stunning. The cinematography was outstanding. The acting was good on the whole. The ending was great and that's always the toughest part to pull off. I am really pissed this movie is getting buried by critics who simply do lot have any love for the genre or do not understand it.

finally... a positive review from someone who I KNOW loves the source material as much as I do! Thanks, man!

Saw it last night and liked the film. I had low expectations going in, but was pleasantly surprised by it. I think they cast the Deja Thoris character very well and I was pleased with the Tharks' appearance. Overall not a bad movie.

'John Carter' leaps, nay, skips to soft $500,000 at midnight showings

However "John Carter" performs this weekend (we're predicting a $26 million debut), the movie will likely find a bit more love overseas. Disney announced that the film already posted the biggest opening day ever in Russia with a projected $6.5 million.

:banana:

Disney needs it to be in the $30 (+) million dollar range.

:wishluck:

We'll add to the pile of cash Sunday night.

Am looking forward to it.

I saw it and was disappointed in the incredible mess of a plot and a waste of talent. Simply because it was a rehash of Lucus remakes (when you first hear the Tarks talk I almost barfed thinking Jar Jar Binks was making a cameo.

Since this movie was made in murky 3D remember it is 5-8% more expensive to see this movie so it will have to make $40M+ to be a $20M opening. I think people will be drawn in by the great trailers, but like other flops the trailers were the best part.

rantrant

:facepalm:

rantrant

I didn't think they sounded anything like Jar-Jar Binks.

I'd rather see John Carter again then any of the Star Wars prequels.

'John Carter' leaps, nay, skips to soft $500,000 at midnight showings

However "John Carter" performs this weekend (we're predicting a $26 million debut), the movie will likely find a bit more love overseas. Disney announced that the film already posted the biggest opening day ever in Russia with a projected $6.5 million.

:banana:

Disney needs it to be in the $30 (+) million dollar range.

:wishluck:

We'll add to the pile of cash Sunday night.

Am looking forward to it.

As a kid, reading books like Conan, Tarzan, Solomon Kane and John Carter were great times. It would be fantastic seeing this movie excel at the box office. Hopefully, it would also lead to more movies from this title and genre.

I'm really enjoying the comments here that make it sound like anyone who didn't like the movie obviously doesn't enjoy the source material. That's a terrible assumption that feels like a smack in the face to ERB fans.

The movie's enjoyable on some level, but the storytelling itself is a bit of a jumbled mess. They cram tons of information into the first ten minutes, and the main menace plotline is confusing (or at least, not explained enough to make it meaningful on any emotional level) right up until the end, when it's finally explained Scooby Doo style. That's weak writing.

There are still fun moments, Woola is fantastic, Dejah Thoris was better than I could've ever hoped, the action is fun, and the CG is incredible.

But not all things work for all people, so to insinuate that if you don't like the movie you're not a true ERB fan is simply appalling, elitist BS.

I'm really enjoying the comments here that make it sound like anyone who didn't like the movie obviously doesn't enjoy the source material. That's a terrible assumption that feels like a smack in the face to ERB fans.

The movie's enjoyable on some level, but the storytelling itself is a bit of a jumbled mess. They cram tons of information into the first ten minutes, and the main menace plotline is confusing (or at least, not explained enough to make it meaningful on any emotional level) right up until the end, when it's finally explained Scooby Doo style. That's weak writing.

There are still fun moments, Woola is fantastic, Dejah Thoris was better than I could've ever hoped, the action is fun, and the CG is incredible.

But not all things work for all people, so to insinuate that if you don't like the movie you're not a true ERB fan is simply appalling, elitist BS.

I agree with this to some extant, but i didn't think it was enough of a problem to detract from the overall experience, which I really enjoyed. I thought there were some pacing issues as well in a few places. It was a lot of story to be crammed into 2 hours and that did require some exposition, but I didn't think it was a jumbled mess. I think that most of the issues that I had with it could be easily addressed by a well-edited extended version that gives the story room to breathe. Similiar to Watchmen in that regard.

And Reno, to be fair, there does seem to be a pattern in the reviews that fans of the books, or at least the Sword and Planet, genre have been very positive, while those of more mainstream critics have been negative. I've seen a lot of reviews from ERB fans in last 24 to 48 hours and they have been overwhelmingly positive. You do seem to be something of an exception here and that may be because of your experience and background. A lot of structural flaws that many of us "civilians" might not notice or that we gloss over, probably stick out like a sore thumb to you.

I agree with this to some extant, but i didn't think it was enough of a problem to detract from the overall experience, which I really enjoyed. I thought there were some pacing issues as well in a few places. It was a lot of story to be crammed into 2 hours and that did require some exposition, but I didn't think it was a jumbled mess. I think that most of the issues that I had with it could be easily addressed by a well-edited extended version that gives the story room to breathe. Similiar to Watchmen in that regard.

Yeah, "jumbled mess" might be too harsh. And I'm with you, I bet there's footage out there that, if added back into the film, would make it a better story. Which is what makes it so frustrating for me. It's so close to be what I wanted.

But I still have some questions about the story, which is never a good thing. And there's a spoiler in my question, so beware...but what exactly did they say in the Thark temple? That scene happened so fast, that I'm not certain what they discovered. All I know is that it told them to go down the River Iss. And that begs another question: if Dejah Thoris believes that same religion, why did she need to read something on a wall to remember that element of their religious story?

It's a small plot point, but the type that, if made a little more clear, it would've been more rewarding later in the story.

And Reno, to be fair, there does seem to be a pattern in the reviews that fans of the books, or at least the Sword and Planet, genre have been very positive, while those of more mainstream critics have been negative. I've seen a lot of reviews from ERB fans in last 24 to 48 hours and they have been overwhelmingly positive. You do seem to be something of an exception here and that may be because of your experience and background. A lot of structural flaws that many of us "civilians" might not notice or that we gloss over, probably stick out like a sore thumb to you.

I hear what you're saying. Studying structure, writing, and editing certainly makes it hard to just sit back and enjoy the show sometimes.

And John Carter is an interesting movie for me, because the things I didn't like frustrated me because I'm a fan of the original stories. At the same time, the things I did like, I most likely enjoyed because I'm a fan of the original stories. My friends who aren't ERB fans didn't have anything nice to say about the film at all, whereas I came away with some high points.

I'm hoping that the fact that I wanted to enjoy the movie so much is why I didn't enjoy it as much as I could've. I figure, if I can learn to enjoy Watchmen upon multiple viewings, I can certainly enjoy JC.

Simply, I loved the movie! Forgetting that I'm a huge fan of ERB, I thought it was a good story (hurting in a couple of places, but not bad). The special effects were extremely good, I liked the choice of actors, I thought Dejah Thoris was spot on.

Someone said she wasn't dressed like the book (no clothes), well what did you expect, a X rated movie??

Even if your not a ERB fan, nor read the book(s), you should enjoy this movie.

If your a fan of ERB then you should love the movie!

I'm taking my daughter to see it tomorrow!

Since this movie was made in murky 3D

rantrant

I've never seen a 3D film that wasn't murky compared to the 2D version, which is why I've sworn off 3D. This was a visually arresting film, and I'm glad I saw the 2D version.