• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Web of Spider-man books good reads?

18 posts in this topic

I've been going through this large collection of original owner books I acquired almost a year ago, and have finally got to the Web of Spider-man run. I haven't even seen all of the issues included in the run yet, but it looks like its complete down into the hundreds. So, mostly a full run is present if not a full run altogether.

I'm wondering what everyone thinks of the stories. I'm a Spidey fan like most of us, but always read ASM. I've never read a Web of Spider-man issue. Is it any good? juggle.gif

#1768592 - 04/26/07 03:57 PM

I usually go to Comics General and the Forum buying/selling area. Then probably, GA forum and then SA. I don't think I've ever posted in the Bronze, Copper or Modern Age areas

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

#1768592 - 04/26/07 03:57 PM

I usually go to Comics General and the Forum buying/selling area. Then probably, GA forum and then SA. I don't think I've ever posted in the Bronze, Copper or Modern Age areas

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I know, that's pretty funny 27_laughing.gif Its just a coincidence I happened to come upon a CA run of something insane.gif

lol It is hillarious indeed MK 893applaud-thumb.gif

Anyway they are a good read for the most part. A bit supernatural in some issues at the beginning but they follow Peter and allow for a somewhat different type of story setting to take place than in the other titles other than the crossovers that is. Issue 1 I'm sure for the most part will have alot to do with the movie being that he must use a bell tower to seperate the symbiote from himself.

Wonder if this guy thinks that Web of 18 is a good enough read to crack the slab of this 9.6 and check it out?

LINK:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WEB-OF-SPIDER-MAN-18...1QQcmdZViewItem

S-Man 3 is just banking it for some people. That's a fact.

I can't deny that Spider-man 3 has banked for me as well. Sold some ASM #300's at a nice premium yay.gif I'm considering selling the run as I've been selling most of the books from this collection anyway. This just happens to be one of the runs I'm considering keeping. Looks like you guys like it though. So maybe I'll read some of them and see how I like it first.

I'm 28 and read them when they started from age 6 till about issue 100 when I was about 15 or so in 1993 so keep that in mind too. I'd absolutely give them a read but try not to compare them to the Amazing series that was the ground that the series stood on and they didn't take too many chances when it came to the story as they would perhaps lose long standing buyers in Amazing. Well they didn't in Amazing at least until the clone saga was reinstated! insane.gif27_laughing.gif

Anyways I think you'll enjoy some of the stories. Have a good read! thumbsup2.gif

I collected Web for the first few years, and there were some good stories mixed in. One of my favorites is Web #13, which revisits the JJJ/Spidey conflict...it's a "quiet" issue, but a great read, with art by the talented Kyle Baker. The first ten or twelve issues were also good, and there was a nice Wolverine x-over in #29 (I think?) back before he was appearing in 100 titles a month. Give 'em a read!

I'm 28 and read them when they started from age 6 till about issue 100 when I was about 15 or so in 1993 so keep that in mind too. I'd absolutely give them a read but try not to compare them to the Amazing series that was the ground that the series stood on and they didn't take too many chances when it came to the story as they would perhaps lose long standing buyers in Amazing. Well they didn't in Amazing at least until the clone saga was reinstated! insane.gif27_laughing.gif

Anyways I think you'll enjoy some of the stories. Have a good read! thumbsup2.gif

I concur. They don't really keep up with ASM, but they are a solid read. #1 is probably one my favorite Spidey covers as well, and with a nice story, it's definitely a keeper.

Yes, the early runs are great. This was my favorite book out of all the Spideys for a while. As it got into the 1990s however, the series really began to suck smile.gif

I agree. I have very fond memories of Web. Quirky, different, more able to take risks than AMZ and SPEC, it was a great title.

Guess I'm in the minority to think that Web was not very good. In fact, I pretty much gave up on the Spidey titles in general around ASM 262, which was right about the time when Web of Spider-Man launched. I did pick up most of the missing issues when I resumed buying Spidey books a couple of years later (with Kraven's Last Hunt) but I have no fond recollection for any of the Spider-Man titles published during those years, I couldn't tell you anything about them. Utterly forgettable material.

Kevin, I'd agree- there are some areas where I don't think the writers got it straight. Still, there were some where it was worthwhile. Shoot! Web #1 along is great copy to have even if for the cover alone. But the storyline re: Venom is nice too. Kraven's Last Hunt is definitely up there in my top Spidey story lines. Tragic, but great at the same time- and Web did get to contriute to it in part.

Kevin, I'd agree- there are some areas where I don't think the writers got it straight. Still, there were some where it was worthwhile. Shoot! Web #1 along is great copy to have even if for the cover alone. But the storyline re: Venom is nice too. Kraven's Last Hunt is definitely up there in my top Spidey story lines. Tragic, but great at the same time- and Web did get to contriute to it in part.

The last hunt may be the best spidey arc ever.

Yeah, I was thrilled when I was able to snag the entire 6-part series in VF or better for only $3/ea. Again, the ending just blew me away (bad choice of words!-). I mean, it's not often you get developed villians in comic books, and this was one where the writers really wanted to get into the head of one of Spidey's classic bad guys. And the parallels to the short story, "The Most Dangerous Game" really add some extra thoughtfulness to this character.

The last hunt may be the best spidey arc ever.

I agree.

Earl.