• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SAW SPidermAN 3 WHO saw??

183 posts in this topic

Ok, just got back from the movie.

Hate to say it, but EVERYONE in my group was left unimpressed. We all felt exactly the same. I'm too tired to go into every detail, but at most, it was just a so-so movie and as we discussed it further afterwards, we found ourselves having a hard time finding things we did like about it. confused-smiley-013.gif

Oh well, the best part of the night was seeing the extended trailer for FF 2.

It had to be better than Superman Returns. Right?

Hate to say it, but EVERYONE in my group was left unimpressed. We all felt exactly the same. I'm too tired to go into every detail, but at most, it was just a so-so movie and as we discussed it further afterwards, we found ourselves having a hard time finding things we did like about it. confused-smiley-013.gif

It had to be better than Superman Returns. Right?

Actually left me with about the same feeling. confused-smiley-013.gif

Saw the midnight show last night and woke up this morning at 6am to go to Disneyland. I'm completely zonked.

Here's my thoughts anyway. SPOILERS LAY AHEAD...

So much man-crying in this movie I thought I was watching an episode of Oprah. I thought that Dr. Phil was gonna come out at the end and have Sandman and Peter "hug it out". Every character in the movie bawls at some point except for Bruce Campbell, who was (as always) hilarious.

Does Tobey demand that all the fight scenes involve him taking his mask off? I thought it was sort of a fluke in the last movie, but it almost seems like actor's ego for more "face-time". I can imagine him saying "Hey Sam, um... I think the mask is really going to get in the way of my emoting during this fight sequence. Any way we can have something blast it off?" Even Topher had to show his mug each time he got Peter/Spidey at an advantage. Did the real Venom ever show Eddie Brock's face during a beat down? Not that I can remember.

Still, the movie had moments. It was nice to see Stan Lee get some dialogue, and the "bad Peter" sequence was entertaining. JK Simmons and JJJ was once again a highlight.

As for Gwen Stacy... Bryce Dallas Howard wasn't bad. Just for the record though: She once told Backstage West that she was proud she made it in the buisness "on her own." Yeah. Uh huh. I know she's a good actress, but do you think she would have been in "The Village" if she wasn't Ron Howard's daughter? Not likely. She has talent, but denying the obvious nepotism in Hollywood is kind of delusional IMO.

I think this is pretty much spoiler free, so heres my take on the flick.

Keep in mind that my three favourite characters in all comicdom are Spider-man, Gwen Stacy and Harry Osborns Green Goblin. When I saw it at the midnight showing, I wasn't sold on it at all. I wanted it to be the most important masterpiece in the history of cinema. It wasn't. I think it went "cartoony and/or campy" during certain parts. The scene with Bruce Campbell, and the "disco" walk down the street being examples. I also didn't think the Sandman ever had to be involved in the storyline. After seeing it again this afternoon, I think I have done an about face and really enjoyed it. The end scene with Harry moved me in a way that it didn't do the first time and that is something that doesn't usually happen. I realized how complex the entire storyline actually was and was able to take it all in much better the second time. I think that to turn this movie into a great movie, editing out 10-15 minutes would be necessary. There is a great movie hidden in Spidey 3, it unfortunately has a few scenes of fluff and nonsense, added for unneccesary comedic effect that messes with the overall tone and darkness of the movie. If someone could perform a Phantom Edit type of job on this film, you would get a film that almost everybody would love.

Jim

*spoilers*

One of the biggest complaints one of my friends had with the movie was that there was just too much comedy (same knock he gave Blade III). He hated how long they drug out the whole "goth" spidey thing.

In the end we both said it was an all right movie, but it's just hard not to rail on many of it's aspects.

Another thing we talked about was the part where Harry seemed to threaten MJ and somehow got her to break up with Peter. They never explained what the heck was the deal there. What exactly was the threat he made to cause her to go through with that? Was it o her? Was it to Peter? Knowing Peter was Spidey, why not confide in him when meeting him on the bridge? It didn't make any sense and they basically abandoned that little sub plot in the film. confused.gif

They also didn't build up the Black suited Spidey enough for me. I would have liked there to be an even bigger transformation shown as Spidey rather than all the "gothic" Peter stuff (they seemed to spend way more time on that). I guess it goes along with how they all wanted to keep taking their masks off.

I also wanted to feel a greater excitement when Peter dawned the old red and blue Spidey uniform (think Sups II when Reeves shows back up as Superman to take on the three bad guys). Nope, we get Peter with NO freaking mask on showing up at Harry's to say he needs his help... upset.gif

Well, at this point I feel I should say something positive...I liked Stan the Man getting a line, Bruce Campbell's role, The Giant Sandman at the end looked pretty cool (and I really don't care much for CGI overkill)(oh, I also liked the special intro music they gave him...it almost reminded me of how they did it back in the day with the Creature from the Black Lagoon), Venom looked better than I figured he would most of the time, J. Jonah Jameson was spot on again, and that's about all I can think of. The rest gets back to mediocre and negative.

I liked it much more than I thought I would and the "bad Peter" scene in the jazz club was a hoot. Bruce Campbell stole the show as the maitre 'd.

Origin of Sandman at the beginning was brilliant.

It was cool when Sandy turned his arm into a sledge hammer.

Was sorry to see Harry's face get scarred like that.

Kirsten Dunst needs a couple of sammiches! God, I want to like her but she's unattractive, skinny and can't act (or sing either).

FF/Surfer trailer was great!

I liked it much more than I thought I would and the "bad Peter" scene in the jazz club was a hoot. Bruce Campbell stole the show as the maitre 'd.

Origin of Sandman at the beginning was brilliant.

It was cool when Sandy turned his arm into a sledge hammer.

Was sorry to see Harry's face get scarred like that.

Kirsten Dunst needs a couple of sammiches! God, I want to like her but she's unattractive, skinny and can't act (or sing either).

FF/Surfer trailer was great!

Ok, I just saw something that blows away Spider-Man 3! Your freaken avatar 893whatthe.gifhail.gif

I thought it was a great superhero movie. Felt like I was reading an old Marvel Team-Up.

I have to agree with that. I did feel like I was watching an old school campy comicbook.

To me this is where I found it's main entertianment value.

unfortunately for me, the wacked-up ending stopped it from being a truely treasured classic.

No Spoilers - just generic, vanilla comments:

1) Liked the S 3 movie.

2) LOVED the Sandman - that character was well-developed and he nearly steals the show...

3) LOVED Gwen Stacy several viewers are questioning the usage of this character but I am guessing that many scenes/plots/re-writes had to omit Ms. Stacy. Many things get "cut" during a feature-length film and I am sure S 3 was no exception;

4) LIKED JJ Jameson again, portrayed perfectly, and LOVED the comedic scenes he was involved with;

5) The Harry O character, after so-so in S 1, 2, was developed real well. Gotta stop here - remember NO SPOILERS;

6) Even the Landlord and his daughter got some screentime - good screentime too;

7) Flashbacks usages and Montages w/ Sandman/Uncle Ben were well-done and well-timed; pacing of the movie was perfect with these Flashbacks/Montages;

8) Dr Connors got a few scenes - could be a preview of S 4??? The Lizard??? And I sold my ASM 6 CGC 6.0 for next-to-nothing???

9) Eddie Brock( VENOM) was well done.

a) The man who portrayed Eddie Brock seemed destined to play that part - another measurement of how important CASTING is in any movie. This is why the CSA Members command $200,000 and upwards GUARANTEED contracts - two years per contract for the Majors( MGM, Sony, Buena Vista, etc), similarily big contracts for the Independent casting Firms. Wanna save money and fire them and get a "hack" for $65,000??? The person who makes THAT decision is fired by the TOP mamagment and is blackballed from the movie business. The CSA folks earn and are worth every penny.

b) In this two-villain movie, I am sure it was hard to get everything in. Usage of Venom could have been more, but something had to go - I am assuming they decided to develop Sandman more.

10) Kirsten Dunst ( my new nickname for her is Kirsten Dunce) has repeatedly allowed press to state her desire to "quit" the Spidey Trilogy/Series. Let's see - a young woman who wants to be an Actress - one in literally 500,000 across the globe. She made her auditions, training, etc. and beat out literally hundreds of "head-shot" send-ins and audition specs( crashers) girls and still made it - great - now she has more money than she ever dreamed of - great - now she wants out because she does not want to get "typecast" but she said on TV that she wants more "creative control and energy" which is more Hollywood spin on the typecasting fears her dumb-jerk agents are spoon-feeding her. The story-line in S 3 sprinkles the ingredients of getting rid of her. If they do make the S 4( why not - they are making money hand-over-fist and are going to CONTINUE to make these spidey movies until the public tires of him - another story for another year), I am willing to bet that she will NOT be the MJ - they will get a younger Lolita Dadidovich( Blaze) or someone like her( ravishing beauty whose career never quite developed). And it will be a improvement. Sorry Ms. Dunst( Dunce) - you also win my David Caruso/Suzanne Summers award for also thinking you are bigger than the medium that made you a star. Now go through your money in five years like Ms. Summer did, join the current trendy LA gym, lose the extra 55 pounds you put on by then, and marry some wanna-be producer 7 - 10 years your junior like she did. People will post on Blogs that they saw you at the Friars Club of Beverly Hills and will walk right past you. So Sorry.

11) Tobey McGuire - actually stepped up his range and showed he CAN do what is asked of him to do. He was better in S 3 because he got to do other things besides being lame P Parker.

12) Stan Lee and Cap't Stacy - good as well.

13) CGI graphics or special effects - of course it was all great. No superhero movie can be made without them.

14) Tone and pacing of movie: scattered at times, but suspense( no pun intended, ok CAP and Shellhead???) was added well here. Was it me or did Director Raimi use a LOT of scene changes??? The CGI folks do most of the final Editing, but Raimi and his assistants do everything-else editing, and that job must have been a nightmare. But if this is the case, Raimi did an outstanding job.

15) Again, no spoliers but the last ten minutes of this could-have-been-the-greatest movie sank S 3 into the also-rans.

Unsure what rating I will give it on the IMDB.

CAL who also does movies as hobby popcorn.gif

The movie was terrible on so many different levels...utterly dissapointing AND to top it off, they didn't even show the FF2 trailer...plot line was weak, Kirsten Dunst was worse than usual and the "emotional" scenes left me unimpressed. Too many characters...dissapointing fight scene at the end...made me long for the TV series from the 70's...yuck.

hello all...

My 4 year old son and I went to the first showing 9:15 am (my staff and I went to the 1pm show, and my friends and I went to the evening show)....pretty much everyone there was a parent and a 2-7 year old child(ren)...and, from my experience, everyone left the theatre "loving" the movie...every kid was on cloud nine, and there was imaginary web shooting and "black spiderman this" and "black spiderman that"...and the sand guy, etc...

go back and be 6 years old again, and enjoy the movie for what it is....comic book to screen entertainment...

gator

hello all...

My 4 year old son and I went to the first showing 9:15 am (my staff and I went to the 1pm show, and my friends and I went to the evening show)....pretty much everyone there was a parent and a 2-7 year old child(ren)...and, from my experience, everyone left the theatre "loving" the movie...every kid was on cloud nine, and there was imaginary web shooting and "black spiderman this" and "black spiderman that"...and the sand guy, etc...

go back and be 6 years old again, and enjoy the movie for what it is....comic book to screen entertainment...

gator

A 6 year old doesn't know any better other than spider-man looks cool swinging through the city fighting bad guys...I was expecting this to be as good as Spider-Man 1 & 2 and it's not. I won't be seeing this again.Venom looked cool as did Spider-man and Sandman, but when Harry's bulter gives him that speech...Well? Why didn't he say something a long time ago and he would have avoided a big mess? Cause that's what the movie was... a big mess.

My favorite part was the ending when Spidey and Sandy hugged and made up.... give me a break....

Almost everybody I was with ( I took the whole office and some friends) felt it was disappointing. My friend was laughing through every sappy scene (except when Aunt May gave him the ring to give to MJ). I wanted more and I wanted a better story.... Venom, I felt could have been cooler... Sandman was too tragic and the whole Goblin thing was eeeh. I particularly didn't like when Harry tells Pete somethign to the affect- I stuck up for you in HS and now I'm gonna kick your *spoon*....

just bad writing....

I did like "evil Parker" with his disco fever bit while shopping and checking out the ladies in the Big Apple- very funny.....

I also enjoyed some of the fight scenes, especially Gobby and Spidey in the beginning and Spidey against Sandman int he beginning.

Overall I guess I went in with high expectations and left wanting more....

I predict Spidey 4 will change directors and main actors. It will go in a different direction and feel fresh and fun again....

Any thoughts on that?

V