• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Free Comic Book Day - I'm Going!

35 posts in this topic

from what I can tell almost none of the Comic Stores in the SFV are participating. The one store that does get the books does not give them out. Instead he takes them to local schools and gives them out there.

That has to be a better investment than preaching to the choir by giving them to existing customers.

from what I can tell almost none of the Comic Stores in the SFV are participating. The one store that does get the books does not give them out. Instead he takes them to local schools and gives them out there.

Not true.

Earth 2 in Sherman Oaks had a huge In-store promotion.

I'm sure there were others.

[That has to be a better investment than preaching to the choir by giving them to existing customers.

I agree. One of the cooler things I've noticed in recent years- Comic book trades and Manga through Scholastic book fairs in schools.

Like crack- catch em young.

We gave away alot of stuff today. the spideys were popular because of the movie, we had told people to take what they were comfortable with. Some took 1-2, some 4-5, and some 30 or so different.

Still have leftovers.

In a brilliant stroke of pure luck, the brand new location my shop moved to had their "Taste of Lansdowne" -- a mini-street festival celebrating the opening of the town center style shopping complex -- on the same day as FCBD and the same weekend Spidey 3 opened. I've never seen so many kids or people in general packed into a comic book store before. The store probably had more walk-up curiousity traffic in the one day than it had in 12 years at its old location. I felt somewhat strange being the one guy who walked in, was handed a big stack of books and headed right to the racks. Everyone else was wandering around without a purpose.

As one who has grown accustomed to never really seeing kids in a shop anymore, it was a huge thrill for me. If only more shops can be as well run and as successful as Phoenix has been, the hobby wouldn't have such a bleak future.

I went to Earth 2 on Ventura Blvd. in Sherman Oaks. There were a whole lot more free comic books than what was listed on the website. Earth 2 had a 5 book limit which I heard being enforced more than once. I picked up the Superman/Batman #1, the Dark Horse Star Wars/Conan and the Justice League of America #0. Several geeks from the 501st Legion were outside protecting the store. Curb Your Enthusiam's Jeff Garlin was amongst the customers.

We gave away alot of stuff today. the spideys were popular because of the movie, we had told people to take what they were comfortable with. Some took 1-2, some 4-5, and some 30 or so different.

Still have leftovers.

takeit.gif

Went to Simi Valley today with two shops closest to my house. Made the mistake of going to Mega City Comics, What a stooge, told my kids to buy something first before he would give away a comic. He kept the free comics hidden behind the counter.

Went to lunch, then headed over to Hidden Fortress. What a difference. Mega City was empty, Hidden Fortress had a line at the door. I spent a few minutes talking with Ed, the owner. Seems like a really nice guy. The free comics were laid out on a table and we grabbed one of each. Also got the FF poster mentioned above.

Overall thumbsup2.gif

Man, I love FCBD. The stores in the Bay Area really know how to party. Back issues go at 50% off, and one local store had all trades for 50% off as well. One dude snagged the Daredevil and Spidey Omnibuses at 50%. Since I have those already, I snagged the Eternals Omnibus and the oversized 1602 and Runaways hardcovers. Another store was nice enough to sell me complete runs of New Avengers ($20) and Ultimates 2 ($12)!

Great day, indeed - I just wish I had more money to spend!

Golden Apple had a huge day - dozens of free books on display, the staff gathering and bagging your selections (as well as free t-shirts and batman toys. I got there at ten and there was a big line, lots og kids too.

Stopped by the always reliable House of Secrets in Burbank and they had only four books left by the time we got there late in the afternoon. I was going to stop there in the morning with my kids, but some stuff came up and I decided not to go. But my 6-year old daughter started crying when she realized she wasn't gonna get any free comics so I decided to take her after all and she was thrilled getting the Spidey, Legion, Bongo, and Disney books. I'm so thrilled that my girls love the superheroes (my wife not so much... wink.gif ). Because of JLU on tv they knew who The Question was at the age of four! 27_laughing.gif