• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats YOUR silver age Fav??

51 posts in this topic

ASM 31 is definitely a great read, and a fun cover.

... I'm just going to be generic and say SA ASMs in general. I really just dig the art and the stories as dated as they sometimes are. Yay for Ditko and Romita!!! laugh.gif

In terms of dated stories, I think ASM has faired the best out of all of them. I don't cringe reading even early ASMs most of the time. ASM #31-33 are great. Its THE Spider-man story every Spidey fan should read because it displays the classic tale of Spider-man. I love the scene where he fell asleep on his desk while studying 27_laughing.gif I haven't even been able to read through X-men #1 yet because the -script is sooo bad.

I'm just thinking of all the "pet names" for Pete from MJ, Gwen, Flash, and Harry just from 31 alone. But you're right, why else has he earned the rep for being most human of superheroes? HENCE my adjustment of collecting priorities over the past couple months and focusing on SA and early BA ASMs smile.gif

There are so many it's hard to pick one and I'm going to list my five favorite covers and it's not based on value.

TTA 59 and 60

TOS 59

ASM 19 and 33

FF 39

Avengers 12

OAAW 118 hail.gif

SSWS 81 hail.gif

AAMOW 84 hail.gif

Unfortunately I now need all of them and in a month or two I should be able to

search for replacements. If any of you great fellow board members have any in VF or better, please remember me in a month or so. Thank you, Fay

BTW, I know that's ten favorites and not five. confused-smiley-013.gif

If I was going to spend big money on a Marvel key, it would have to be a nice (7.5 to 9.0 ish) ASM 14. There is just so much about that book to like. cloud9.gif

I couldn't agree more. cloud9.gifcloud9.gif

ASM14s.jpg

That was evil. I agree though- I have a little an Ace edition that I'll read every so often, and it's just not the same as getting to read the real thing. The original "broomstick" cracks me up though!

I just hooked up a buddy of mine with a great Silver ASM- #50. There's a LCS that just purchased a full run of ASM 1-300 and he's got a copy of #50 for $50 even. I'm a little short right now, so I gave him a call knowing it was high on his list. Easily one of my top Spidey covers. Hopefully another opportunity to get oe will come back to me around the same price...

Right now, my JLA #1 is probably my most "treasured". In terms of nostalgic hold on me, maybe JLA #29 or X-Men #4 which I both got around 1979/1980. They were some of my first "I can't believe I bought this old comic" feelings.

Everyone has mentioned FF and AS, which are on my list too. But to change the pace a little, I love the Infantino run on Adam Strange. Beautiful art perfectly suited to the series, plus the inherent pathos of a guy and a girl who keep getting pulled apart at the end of every issue...

The pinnacle of the series is Mystery in Space 75, the JLA crossover issue. Every DC Silver Age fan should own a copy. It's affordable, one of the most undervalued DC issues. The issue is arguably the pinnacle of the JLA run, too!

The pinnacle of the series is Mystery in Space 75, the JLA crossover issue. The issue is arguably the pinnacle of the JLA run, too!

Yea, that's why it only lasted 100 issues...or was it slightly more than that?

What a nimrod. boo.gif

Rick

The pinnacle of the series is Mystery in Space 75, the JLA crossover issue. The issue is arguably the pinnacle of the JLA run, too!

What a nimrod. boo.gif

Rick

Definition: Pinnacle. the highest level or degree attainable; the highest stage of development.

The Mystery in Space issue is arguably the "pinnacle" in the sense of being one of the best, if not the best, early JLA story in terms of art and quality of story. Has nothing to do with how long the series ran. I collect early JLA too, because it was a great series with all my favorite superheroes, and what could be better than a comic with tons of superheroes running around in it? But the truth is the stories and art in the Silver Age JLA's often disappoint. I know that's sacreligious to some, but to me that's how it is. The Mystery in Space is superior in art in story.

Definition: Nimrod. A person regarded as silly, foolish, or overly sensitive.

What a nimrod. boo.gif

Rick

The Mystery in Space issue is arguably the "pinnacle" in the sense of being one of the best, if not the best, early JLA story in terms of art and quality of story. Has nothing to do with how long the series ran.

First of all, I was not referring to MIS; guess I quoted too much from your previous post when I should have specifically noted your JLA comment. I too like the Adam Strange character and admire the title's covers.

But stating that #3 was JLA's pinnacle was pretentious, insulting, and common sense-wise...stupid. People that don't know any better (or just weren't raised properly) talk down about someone else's likes all the time here on the boards -not to mention everywhere else- with little if any consideration. Fine. But to say that a book that ran 261 issues had it's peak with issue #3...? How does that even make sense, especially from a business point of view? Any other titles you think went downhill before the end of its first year...and lasted 200+ issues?

I collect early JLA too, because it was a great series with all my favorite superheroes... the stories and art in the Silver Age JLA's often disappoint.

OK, you did not like the stories...you did not like the art...what was it again that you did like? Guess you're not the fan that you claim to be. confused-smiley-013.gif

Rick

What a nimrod. boo.gif

Rick

The Mystery in Space issue is arguably the "pinnacle" in the sense of being one of the best, if not the best, early JLA story in terms of art and quality of story. Has nothing to do with how long the series ran.

First of all, I was not referring to MIS; guess I quoted too much from your previous post when I should have specifically noted your JLA comment. I too like the Adam Strange character and admire the title's covers.

But stating that #3 was JLA's pinnacle was pretentious, insulting, and common sense-wise...stupid. People that don't know any better (or just weren't raised properly) talk down about someone else's likes all the time here on the boards -not to mention everywhere else- with little if any consideration. Fine. But to say that a book that ran 261 issues had it's peak with issue #3...? How does that even make sense, especially from a business point of view? Any other titles you think went downhill before the end of its first year...and lasted 200+ issues?

I collect early JLA too, because it was a great series with all my favorite superheroes... the stories and art in the Silver Age JLA's often disappoint.

OK, you did not like the stories...you did not like the art...what was it again that you did like? Guess you're not the fan that you claim to be. confused-smiley-013.gif

Rick

confused.gif I admire your loyalty to JLA! However, I'm clueless as to what you are talking about. I didn't make any mention of JLA #3, let alone single it out as the "pinnacle" of the series! Go back and read my post.

OK John,

Tell me how I'm mis-interpreting this quote of yours:

" The issue is arguably the pinnacle of the JLA run, too! "

Sounds like you're saying it's the pinnacle of both the MIS & JLA series.

If I'm mistaken, I apologize, but...how else is anyone supposed to take that statement? It comes across (to me anyways) as a back-handed after-thought comment belittling a series that ran non-stop for over 25 years.

Point me in the right direction, please.

Rick

Rick, I love JLA, and have paid, and will probably continue to pay, some of my hard earned disposable income to collect the early issues. What I was saying was nothing more or less than that the MIS issue is my favorite issue. I didn't mean it to sound like I don't like the main series, because I do. I just like the MIS issue better--because I like Infantino better than Sekowsky, mainly.

Alrighty then, I somehow took your statement the wrong way...

No harm, no foul.

By the By, I also enjoy Infantino (but more for his Flash work than anything else).

Sorry folks for temporarily de-railing this thread -at least no train wreck.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread... stooges.gif

Rick