• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recommendation for daughter

31 posts in this topic

Hi all

I would like to introduce my girl friend's 10 year old (all most 11) daughter to comics. But I'm thinking to get past that "nerd factor" that a trade paper back or graphic novel would be the way to get her started. She's on the A honor role and reads a higher level than her age.

Some recommendations would be very much appreciated thumbsup2.gif

Jeff

Archies, Bone, Spidey Super Stories, some of the Marvel Tales reprints are great, silver age stories (all pg) at a low price. Any of the Marvel or DC reprints. (the kids love the fact that they relate to the movie) You can get some of those very reasonably.

Some of the classics illustrated books, I'd stay away from the newer issues of anything, they are a little graphic for a 10 year old...I LOVED Green Lantern and Flash when I was that age...Impulse might be another one.

Good luck! and good for you, we need more comic collectors:) thumbsup2.gif

Hi all

I would like to introduce my girl friend's 10 year old (all most 11) daughter to comics. But I'm thinking to get past that "nerd factor" that a trade paper back or graphic novel would be the way to get her started. She's on the A honor role and reads a higher level than her age.

Some recommendations would be very much appreciated thumbsup2.gif

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I think someone else recently asked for reading appropriate and of interest for a girl your GF's daughter's age. I'll try to list them off from memory here and people can chime in because I know some of my choice would be too "kiddish" for her:

Akiko by Mark Crilley

Little Lulu Dark Horse reprints

PaperCutz Nancy Drew TPBs

Meridian by CrossGen

Leave it to Chance

Ted Naifeh's Courtney Crumrin stories

Bone by Jeff Smith (of course)

Marvel Runaways vol. 1

and probably some others I forget. Happy sharing thumbsup2.gif

Hey Jeff...a fine and noble cause! I recently asked a similar question for my (almost) 9 year old daughter. She loves the Spidey Super Stories (thanks JOEYPOST) but for an 11 year old they might be a little juvenile. I would definitely recommend the 1990's series BATMAN ADVENTURES which is appropriate for pre-teens and is a little more advanced than "little kid" comics but not too violent or graphic. SKYPINKBLU sent me several of these for my daughter (who is also an advanced reader) and she absolutely LOVES them! I think the SUPERMAN ADVENTURES from the same time-frame would also be great for her... thumbsup2.gif

Bone! Also, it depends on the girl, but my friend has a daughter that just turned 12 and loves the Mouse Guard HC that I got her for her birthday.

As far as superhero stuff goes, I love the Jeff Parker's all ages Marvel Adventures: Avengers series. Hands down better then all of the Avengers books being published! Good luck!

William

The most popular books with my daughters (6&10) are the Little Lulu Color Special (something like 200 pages of Lulu), and the Bark's Duck Tales V.1 & 2 anthologies. Not only fun reads, but

good value for the number of stories you get.

Also Betty & Veronica digests seem eternally popular with young girls.

Herobear and the Kid and I second the motion regarding Barks' Duck stories -- my nieces love them best of anything I've given them.

I asked my LCS, and the 22 year old emo chick behind the counter said Runaways.

She single.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Nope!

Despite not being a 22 year old emo chick, I would also suggest Runaways. We got it for our friend's 12 year old for xmas a few years back and she eats it up.

I keep wondering about the appropriate age for Usagi Yojimbo. Yes there's violence and death, but it is stylized (often I wonder if the animals are dead or just unconscious), its black and white, so little blood, and then you have the great moral lessons and samurai code which sort of balances out the negatives....

Hey Jeff,

I hardly ever see anyone recommend manga, but Nausicaä of the Valley of the Winds would be a really good series to have her read IMHO. The main character is a young girl. It does have some mild violence, but nothing that a mature 10 year old couldn't handle.

If you are interested, I may have duplicate copies of a couple books from the series that I would be happy to send to you for the cost of shipping.

Oh also, Herobear and the Kid is a pretty good one and everyone no matter what age they are should read Owly .

I hardly ever see anyone recommend manga, but Nausicaä of the Valley of the Winds would be a really good series to have her read IMHO. The main character is a young girl. It does have some mild violence, but nothing that a mature 10 year old couldn't handle.

I'm glad you mention Nausicaä. I almost did but haven't read the whole saga yet so I refrained from suggesting it. There has to be plenty more Manga age-appropriate but I know so little how them. Is there a site or a book or a reference guide out that I can check out to educate myself more about Manga and Manwha (sp?)?