• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New poster.....wanted to thank you all

78 posts in this topic

Hey all, sorry if this is a terrible breach of forum etiquette. Been lurking for awhile and just wanted to introduce myself and thank those who post here for inspiring me to really get into collecting again.

Specifically, i've been wandering the GA threads and its opened my eyes up to a whole new area of focus. For me, i've been collecting superhero, raw silver age and slabbed keys (non golden) for awhile. Lately though i've been fascinated by Golden Age books. I've also been very humbled by the rather large price tags attached. :( If anyone has the time or inclination to respond i'd love to hear the places you go to find books. Do you have preferred sellers that you trust and would recommend? Do you use ebay much? It's a real commitment to collect these books so any advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, I love seeing scans of some of the great books people have. Hopefully I'll be adding some of my own very soon. And for the gentleman who purchased MM 5, bravo. You're living in a world that's not even in my solar system. Maybe someday though.

for the admin: if this post belongs in a newbie thread or something somewhere, my apologies.

married with kids Mike from Cincinnati

Welcome to the boards! 893applaud-thumb.gif

And welcome to collecting GA -- it's addictive. As for the price tags, you'd be amazed at some of the cool books out there that won't break the bank as long as you don't just chase uber-HG stuff -- check out some GGA art for example. thumbsup2.gif

And for the gentleman who purchased MM 5, bravo. You're living in a world that's not even in my solar system. Maybe someday though.

There are a few of us who owns copies of MMC#5 but welcome aboard! Sometimes you have to move a few books to make another purchase happen but if you stick to what you love your probably in good shape in the long run. I'm sure if you have specific questions about various dealers, EBay sellers, etc there would be plenty of people here willing to share their experiences. Try getting a handle on the search function and try and dig up some old threads on general topics like "rank GA dealers" etc, it will be a big help. thumbsup2.gif

Welcome, Mike!

As a GA guy on a budget, I use ebay all the time, only splurging with a dealer site once in a while. The prices on ebay for the most part are vastly better, and as long as you bid assuming a bit of possible overgrading, I find the hits far outweigh the misses (or at least make them worth it). And obviously, there are some great sellers on the forums as well!

Let us know what titles/genres/etc have caught your eye the most; I'm sure folks here can offer even more specific advice. thumbsup2.gif

Jon

Welcome!

and good luck in you new venture into GA, I have found some really great info and deals here on the boards, as well as new friends. Ebay is where I started buying GA, and I will continue, but one has to be carefull. There are several dealers who participate here on the boards, and most if not all are excellent for service and quality and practice sound ethics. Which after a long foray on Ebay I found refreashing. You might pay a little more, but if you average out the undisclosed restoration and overgrading from ebay the prices the dealers charge may not seem as high. That is not to say that you can't score on Ebay, but for every score there are 10....well less than satisfactory transactions.

Welcome to the boards. hi.gif

Lots of folks here are buying books that fall into the 100 bucks or less category and enjoying themselves in the process so I suspect you'll find a niche that fits. Just don't compete with me. stooges.gif

Do you have preferred sellers that you trust and would recommend?

Welcome to the new world of Golden Age collecting, Mike! As for recommended dealers, I try to spend all of my hard earned dough with the wonderful crew at Bedrock City Comic Co. (You see, I write their paychecks. I am not a shill!)

Anyhow, enjoy your pursuit, and always remember...the advice around here is free, and sometimes it's good!

Welcome to Golden Pond Mike!! Glad you came in, the water is always fine around here.

Besides many of the reputable dealers out there, some of which post here, there are many collectors on this forum who also sell to feed their habit (me included blush.gif) So, feel free to let us know what you are thinking about collecting and we can point you in the right direction.

Do you have preferred sellers that you trust and would recommend?

Welcome to the new world of Golden Age collecting, Mike! As for recommended dealers, I try to spend all of my hard earned dough with the wonderful crew at Bedrock City Comic Co. (You see, I write their paychecks. I am not a shill!)

Anyhow, enjoy your pursuit, and always remember...the advice around here is free, and sometimes it's good!

sign-funnypost.gif (But true!)

Lots of folks here are buying books that fall into the 100 bucks or less category and enjoying themselves in the process so I suspect you'll find a niche that fits. Just don't compete with me. stooges.gif

Don't listen to this guy. The real fun starts in the $1000-3000 range. The $50-500 category offers nothing but heartache and disillusionment. You should avoid it at all costs!

Don't listen to this guy. The real fun starts in the $10,00-30,000 range. The $50-500 category offers nothing but heartache and disillusionment. You should avoid it at all costs!

Fixed it for you. wink.gif

Don't listen to this guy. The real fun starts in the $10,00-30,000 range. The $50-500 category offers nothing but heartache and disillusionment. You should avoid it at all costs!

Fixed it for you. wink.gif

Actually, the real fun would be finding high grade Golden Age in the $1 to $3 range!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

As for what I might start with, I think Timely's will be first up. I'd like to get a Cap or 2 to start as they are amazing books and seem to be readily available with just a little searching. I've always had an affinity for Batman as well so that will definitely be high on the priority list. The Captain Marvel titles seem to be abundant everywhere you go and from what i've seen, slabbed VF- or better copies can be had for $150-$300 so maybe i'll get one just to get my feet wet. I'll probably use ebay to start but if I do i'll definitely buy something slabbed to avoid any 1st time mishaps.

Anyhoot, thanks for the replies everyone. Now if I can just get my wife to stop buying shoes maybe I can snag myself a nice Cap.

PS: SilverSurfer, it was your MMC #5 I was referencing. Beautiful book, congrats.