• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original art appreciation thread

629 posts in this topic

Thanks all, it is freakin' awesome isn't it?

I was really worried that I was going to regret spending the money on this piece, but that all flew out the window once I opened the package!

Gene, this was purchased from Spencer R. Beck's site The Artists Choice.

I know I'm fawning over my first purchase but here is a close-up of the face, I just love the linework!

951006-DracFace.jpg

951006-DracFace.jpg.47b6fc3db5f56b8ba9082be9507e0943.jpg

for the ONE page? Damn! What if i just cut out the last panel of the original? Could i get that for maybe 5 large?

That $25K figure was referring to the ASM #155 cover. The last page to Hulk #180 would fetch a lot more than that.

ASM # 155 was up for sale in 03' for 12500 on profiles in history. Now, it would fetch 25K ,...EASY !!!!

I was merely pointing out that for all the,..."KK you are a OA pimper/ pumper" talk,..the fact of the matter is that OA prices have gone up. So,...I speak truth.

(spits out drink) say what? Just how much scratch are we talking about here? So, id have to pay 10 large to cut out that last panel?

I don't know how much that last page would go for, but $25K seems low for the first ever appearance of Wolverine, even if it is by Trimpe. I think even a number of non-Hulk/Wolverine/X-Men collectors would throw their hat in the ring at that price. I would guess something closer to twice that, but maybe some other people have a better idea what a certain dealer who has been trying to pry that piece away from the owner would pay for it? confused-smiley-013.gif

I guess that would be the original art equivalent of what is known in the gossip columns as a "blind item". 27_laughing.gif

plan on selling the Joe 21 originals anytime soon?? hail.gif Have you tried to get that cover to complete it?

I've asked around and nobody seems to know for sure where that cover is. It would be nice to have if it ever turns up, but I'm just thrilled to own the interiors. No plans to sell unless someone offers "krazy" money and maybe not even then.

I commissioned DC/indie artist Stuart Sayger to do a 14"x14" commission of Red Sonja for me and I received it on Friday! The easy comparison of his style is to Sienkiewicz, but if you look at a larger body of his work, you can definitely see the influence of early Neal Adams and Esteban Maroto. I love all the varied tones on this piece...there's some nice use of ink wash and white-out to create the desired effects.

I'd definitely recommend checking out his website (www.stuartsayger.com), his indie book "Shiver in the Dark" and his sketchbooks (he's a regular on the convention circuit).

1003723-Sayger.jpg

1003723-Sayger.jpg.0faf1e70f22823164a5f93877c862613.jpg

How much Krazy money are we talkin? Is there any way you can post some of the OA of the bok in OA section? That would be sooooo sweet. I like the page where Snake eyes throws the grenade at the soldiers face!

ASM # 155 was up for sale in 03' for 12500 on profiles in history. Now, it would fetch 25K ,...EASY !!!!

Was just wondering. I bought that piece off of Ebay in '98/'99 for $3500...sold it in '02 through Ruben Espinosa for $8900. I see it hasn't slowed down since!

Hey DeLiquorstore:

I don't know, all I see is a lot of Sienkiewicz in his stuff. But since Neal was major influence on Sienkiewicz, then I suppose by proxy, there's Neal in there as well? But Maroto? well, outside of the subject matter of the commission...no, I don't see any Maroto. confused-smiley-013.gif I do think Saygar's stuff is very cool and that's an awesome commission he did for you. thumbsup2.gif

Nice seeing you this weekend! yay.gif

Lamb

still diggin' these graemlins...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=178

Hey Lamb,

The Maroto influence is definitely evident in some of his other work; I agree that it does not come through on this particular one so much. If you pick up his sketchbooks, some of the stuff looks like it could have been done by either Adams or Maroto for an early-to-mid-1970s Warren mag.

BTW, I think you need to post your best Ray Lago story here on the Boards!

Gene

deliquorstore,

HA! didn't know you were paying attention since brad was distracting you, oohing and ahhing over those 'guns' of yours! 27_laughing.gif he was so hot and bothered he had to leave early!

well, i'll look for his sketchbook at the next show but i remember seeing his stuff years ago on ebay and his website and it always looked like it was HEAVILY sienkiewicz influenced to me! not that there's anything wrong with it as i think sienkiewicz is a genius! hail.gif

lamb

1003723-Sayger.jpg

Suart's a really nice guy and has a great style. He's done a couple of pieces for me -- and will do more if I have anything to say about it.

Check out the stuff he did in my CAF galery (he also did the Red Sonja on my Marvel Value Stamp project) http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=6900