• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original art appreciation thread

629 posts in this topic

Thanks! I love the abundance of Stan Lee's promotional hyperbole. And I also love how the TTA 60 splash says "the Hulk has finally been awarded his own series!"

I guess Stan forgot about Hulk 1 - 6 ?? 27_laughing.gif

I got the promo from a dealer and the splash from a collector.

Yeah, I've picked up most of my art by harrassing owners on ComicArtFans and by contacting individual artists. It also helps to sign up for the Comicart-L group on yahoo.

Here's 2 pages I just picked up. I got them from different places but thought they make a good historical pair.

Holy craap! You make me sick -- but not in an I just drank some bad milk way -- more like in a good way like after you eat too much ice cream.

Anyway, holy craap!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

BTW, this has got to be the most white out I've ever seen on a single character. foreheadslap.gif

0144.jpg

Not really "original" art but...

Bob Layton did this piece for me last year, its a recreation of the cover of Iron Man #126 which Layton and John Romita Jr. drew back in 1979. He contacted John Romita Jr. and he gave the piece his blessing:

im126bl.jpg

The cover of Iron Man #126 incidently was originally a recreation/update of Tales of Suspense #39.

Here's 2 pages I just picked up. I got them from different places but thought they make a good historical pair.

Holy craap! You make me sick -- but not in an I just drank some bad mike way -- more like in a good way like after you eat too much ice cream.

Anyway, holy craap!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

BTW, this has got to be the most white out I've ever seen on a single character. foreheadslap.gif

0144.jpg

Yeah, it's about 50% stat and 50% original art. And it's not large art, it's a normal comic book page size. I like the old promo ads and would like to get more, and this one I really wanted because it relates to the #60 splash that I was working to acquire.

And I thought comics were addicting.....grin.gif

I thought I recognized the hands... so I looked at a Hulk#1 and thats where the Hulk drawing came from (duh, right?) They kept only the arms, face, feet and had to redraw out Banner and the shirt he was wearing! Seems like a simple pickup job became more work than simply redrawing the pose. Rough day in the bullpen that day I guess.

I thought I recognized the hands... so I looked at a Hulk#1 and thats where the Hulk drawing came from (duh, right?) They kept only the arms, face, feet and had to redraw out Banner and the shirt he was wearing! Seems like a simple pickup job became more work than simply redrawing the pose. Rough day in the bullpen that day I guess.

Yep, good eye! You win a no-price, true-believer! thumbsup2.gif

As a kid one of my favorite covers. Love that run done by Bob Layton, some of the best Iron Man issues of all-time. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Agreed. I was in high school in 1979 and although my interest in comics had been supplanted by girls, I still made a weekly trip to the "Magazine and Book Exchange" to buy a few comics I still read: Iron Man, X-Men, Daredevil, and Amazing Spider-Man.

Iron Man 115 - 150 are some of my favorite comics ever.

That is an EXTREMELY sweet cover recreation! thumbsup2.gif

Just picked up this small, but sweet, pin-up of that little minx Gwen Stacy from the post office today. You guys remember Gwen - the little tramp who used to like to sleep with rich older men behind her boyfriend's back (eternal shame and a thousand curses on that hack JMS 893naughty-thumb.gif).

This was originally a convention sketch pencilled by John Romita Sr. and was later inked by Jim Mooney.

808546-RomitaMooneyGwenStacyMaster.jpg

808546-RomitaMooneyGwenStacyMaster.jpg.d779504a21c7383deedfde86ad6ce7a4.jpg

Just in case anyone has some spare change and didnt see it...kinda makes you wonder what a Romita Cover would go for now...damn that stuff has become trophy-like !!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6176730733&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

as44pg.jpg

Geez, seeing as my name is Steve, I guess I better bid! It's already personalized to me!

Here's my latest pick-ups:

Great page from one of the greatest FF issues ever. It's a bit tan, but I'm happy to have it regardless. One cool thing about it: in the top left panel, Reed was originally pencilled in behind the Torch, but in the inking process he was never inked in. I love seeing how the pencils differed from the inked versions.

XL_ff40_12.jpg

Here's a nice Ditko Hulk page from TTA61 with Betty, Glenn, and Bruce transforming into the Hulk. Ditko Hulk pages seem to almost NEVER come up for sale.

Ditko001.jpg

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif