• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original art appreciation thread

629 posts in this topic

Geez, seeing as my name is Steve, I guess I better bid! It's already personalized to me!

Here's my latest pick-ups:

Great page from one of the greatest FF issues ever. It's a bit tan, but I'm happy to have it regardless. One cool thing about it: in the top left panel, Reed was originally pencilled in behind the Torch, but in the inking process he was never inked in. I love seeing how the pencils differed from the inked versions.

XL_ff40_12.jpg

Here's a nice Ditko Hulk page from TTA61 with Betty, Glenn, and Bruce transforming into the Hulk. Ditko Hulk pages seem to almost NEVER come up for sale.

Ditko001.jpg

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

wow! nice historic pages!!!

sweet ditko!!! first ditko hulk i've seen!

fyi - all my ditko IM pages have been sold to happy customers!!! never to be seen again devil.gif

wow! nice historic pages!!!

sweet ditko!!! first ditko hulk i've seen!

fyi - all my ditko IM pages have been sold to happy customers!!! never to be seen again devil.gif

Yes! Thanks!!!!!

So.... you didn't see this recent Ditko addition? devil.gifdevil.gifdevil.gif

tta60pg1.jpg

Here's my first original art purchase since last summer. It's a 20"x25" mixed media pin-up from 1980 by the Peruvian master, Boris Vallejo. Enjoy!

771541-BorisBarbarianWomanresized.jpg

Another beauty - somehow I missed it when you first posted it - congrats! yay.gif

I think generally thats Jacks dialogue "suggestions" to Stan...

which he rarely followed.... as a constant irritation to Jack over the years.

Stan would mostly do his "own thing" on seeing the finished pages.

XL_ff40_12.jpg

Do you know who wrote the notes pencilled on the borders? Stan or Jack?

They are hard to read on the scan. Do they say anything interesting?

Yes, a few of my Kirby pages have notes in the borders although my FF 20 and Avengers 3 page have none. Some of the pages were trimmed at some point and on the ones that have notes, some of the notations are cut off, but they are Jack's comments about what is happening -- clues to Stan or whoever ended up actually writing in the dialogue balloons. And I find it fascinating to read his conception of the action compared to the actual dialog which often varied significantly (if you read the JAck Kirby collector you can see very cool instances of these variations). This one isn't too spectacular and is pretty much in keeping wtih the final page's dialog. But there must have been more notes at the top that were cut off in the trimming process.

In this instance, top left to right, it says:

"And now for coup de grace"

"Doom's foot on pedal"

"Floor -- the air conditioning trying to blow out"

"No, it's the refrigeration unit"

The comments on the side and bottom are cut off and are unreadable.

From Silver Surfer #50. A battered Silver Surfer falls through the atmosphere and crashes through Dr. Strange's window in order to warn Earth's heroes about Thanos and the Infinity Guantlet - one of my all-time favorite moments. When I saw this page, I had to buy it.

SS50artclosesmall.jpg

While we're on the topic of Doctor Strange... Just got this today in the mail. yay.gif

ds28p15.jpg

Fantastic page, almost as good as a Ditko. tongue.gifgrin.gif

It has been great to catch up with this thread over the past couple of days. Kudos to all that have posted art. thumbsup2.gif