• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original art appreciation thread

629 posts in this topic

rhino...did you get that on heritage? 893applaud-thumb.gif

No, I was traveling the day that auction ended. Missed having the opportunity to put in a late bid and was bummed. But then found it for sale a few weeks later and jumped on it. The seller made a bit on the flip, but didn't gouge me. I was happy to land the page.

Instead of putting this in the Marketplace section where nobody will see it, let me put this in the thread that is probably most looked at here by original art collectors:

I just started collecting Boris Vallejo's artwork and am looking for 4 paintings he created between 1979 and 1982 (my favorite period of his work). Three of the paintings are from his "Mirage" book ("First Love", "Alone"* and "Butterfly Wings") and the fourth ("Invictus") was used as a cover to one of the Red Sonja paperback novels.

If anyone has any information on the whereabouts and availability of any of these pieces, or know any collectors, dealers, etc. who may be in touch with them, please PM me. I just posted a similar message on the ComicArt-L list as well.

Thanks!

* There is a Boris painting titled "Alone" in one of the ComicArtFans.com galleries, but it is actually "Forever Moments" (mistitled).

Just got this baby. It is a Lobo cover that I believe ended up published instead as a poster or pinup. I'm still trying to figure out if it is published or not for sure. Doesn't really matter as I love it, but still I gotta know the provenance.

I was gonna make this my 1,000th post, but I got caught up yakking about JIM 76 price variants in the Silver Age forum....

Anyhoo, here it is! yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

The MAIN MAN Fraggin' ROCKS!! headbang.gifheadbang.gif

Lobo.jpg

Just got this baby. It is a Lobo cover that I believe ended up published instead as a poster or pinup. I'm still trying to figure out if it is published or not for sure. Doesn't really matter as I love it, but still I gotta know the provenance.

I was gonna make this my 1,000th post, but I got caught up yakking about JIM 76 price variants in the Silver Age forum....

Anyhoo, here it is! yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

The MAIN MAN Fraggin' ROCKS!! headbang.gifheadbang.gif

Lobo.jpg

Congrats, buddy! Glad it worked out! Not a big Lobo fan myself, but I can certainly appreciate the art.

Talk to ya,

My latest acquisition

XL_ff40_18.jpg

I love this fight sequence -- classic Kirby. As for the Lobo... gossip.gif Did I mention that I love the Kirby?

sorry.gif

I just don't "get" the Lobo art

I love this fight sequence -- classic Kirby. As for the Lobo... gossip.gif Did I mention that I love the Kirby?

sorry.gif

No need to be sorry, art is a matter of taste. I love Kirby too and always will. Thanks for the kudos on that FF page! (thumbsup

I've always been drawn to Bisley's work, such as his Judge Dredd, the Lobo series (and especially the Lobo Paramilitary Christmas Special, my candidate for best holiday humor comic ever), and his Batman/Judge Dredd book. I've not been as much into his most recent Heavy Metal style stuff. My wife especially likes his style and so getting that Lobo piece will hopefully give me cart blanche to pick up a bunch of other Silver Age art! grin.gifyay.gif

sorry.gif

No need to be sorry, art is a matter of taste. I love Kirby too and always will. Thanks for the kudos on that FF page! (thumbsup

I've always been drawn to Bisley's work, such as his Judge Dredd, the Lobo series (and especially the Lobo Paramilitary Christmas Special, my candidate for best holiday humor comic ever), and his Batman/Judge Dredd book. I've not been as much into his most recent Heavy Metal style stuff. My wife especially likes his style and so getting that Lobo piece will hopefully give me cart blanche to pick up a bunch of other Silver Age art! grin.gifyay.gif

Aw! I knew there was a method to the madness! wink.gif