• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age Canadian Editions

62 posts in this topic

I've got some cool Canadian editions. I have a Can. ed. Ghost Rider #1 (M.E.) that I've never seen another copy of...you can make it out in the pic with a few of the other Canadian editions I have...

CanEds.jpg

I think I've posted this pic in 50 different threads by now... insane.gif

Amazing. 1st time I have ever heard of a Fiction House Cdn edition. headbang.gif

I do not have these books, so these are the only pics available:

Planet Comics 3 (reprint of US Planet Comics 63?)

planet3f.jpg

Planet Comics 4 (reprint of US Planet Comics 64?)

planet4f.jpg

All my graded Golden Age Canadian Editions

th_HPIM1875.jpgth_HPIM1876.jpgth_HPIM1877.jpgth_HPIM1870.jpgth_HPIM1872.jpgth_HPIM1869.jpg

th_HPIM1722.jpgth_HPIM1717.jpgth_HPIM1718.jpgth_HPIM1715.jpgth_HPIM1696.jpgth_HPIM1682.jpg

th_HPIM1686.jpgth_HPIM1609.jpgth_HPIM1608.jpgth_HPIM1878.jpg

Very nice group shot! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Found this site: Beyond the Funnies: The History of Comics in English Canada and Quebec. An excerpt:

Overnight, a new comic-book industry sprang up in response to the government's actions. There was no thought of resurrecting the Canadian titles that had flourished during the war years. American hegemony was an accepted fact, and it was much simpler -- and cheaper -- to acquire reprint rights than it was to establish the infrastructure needed for a distinct national industry. Moreover, publishers could not help but be aware of their vulnerability. The entire reprint industry was predicated on a government intervention that was ultimately unacceptable to many Canadians, as well as to their powerful neighbour to the South.

One thing that I have noticed over the years is that the Canadian Editions often had much poorer colour and it is not too uncommon for a book to be out of register. Superior was the one that seems to vary wildly on quality. Sometimes they look great, other times they were just god awful in all respects (paper, binding, colour, register). Simcoe's colours and register usually seem to be a bit better but the colours were still not as good as their American counterparts and they don't seem to be as well bonded to the paper. I had a CDN edition of a Funny Stuff which was overall a pretty solid book but had got wet or was exposed to some humidity at some point. While there was not much physical damage (the book lay nice and flat and staining was at a minimum) the colours on the inside ran alot even well away from the areas that actually contacted the moisture. It was really too bad because it was a nice looking book otherwise.