• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my last, last i tell you, attempted transaction with metropolis

379 posts in this topic

That is pretty much my experience with Metropolis for 20 years.So I have to 2nd everything you have said above.Yes,it is overlooked that they pay bettor than just about everyone else too.I can tell you for a fact they pay the most . Matter of fact, there the only dealer I have ever sold to . Ive always left with a smile.

I know that Billy started the thread re: pricing/declined offer, but it really goes much deeper than that. What are you getting for your top dollar paid?

I'd gladly pay the price for an Audi, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, etc., but in return I want an Audi, BMW, Porsche, or Ferrari ...and not a Ford Pinto.

If you're happy buying a 7.5 book that Metro grades 8.5 and charges you 9.2 for - or worse yet the book later comes back with undisclosed restoration (then what do you have?) - well then more power to you.

I wonder how many people have an ax to grind with Metro becuase they may be just simply be jealous. Or petty. Or ego kings.

Consider this - your speculations do not supplant the actual negative experiences (and resulting opinions) of others, no matter how much you wonder about them.

STEVE

Well, one thing this thread has accomplished is that its made me reconsider making an offer on a fairly pricey (for me, anyways) book from the Metro site.

Having read this thread, it seems that the most I can hope for is free shipping...if thats the case, why bother?

"You know, it is this type of nonsense that has moved me further and further away from the comic book community. People have wondered why they never see me at shows anymore. Now you have your answer."

Yea, real far. Comments like this really make me dislike individuals and companies alike. In your comment you have just come off to me as saying this

" I cant stand dealing with these people in this hobby, but I will GLADLY take your money".

Another reason why I only deal with certain dealers, and it is a very small list of GREAT guys.

I don't bother making offers to Metro any more. If I find a book I like and feel comfortable with the price I e-mail Frank and ask for free shipping. I've stopped buying raw because the grading is so hit and miss, but will still buy slabs depending on the price. That being said, it is probably two years since I found something reasonably priced enough to buy.

Mike

Just have to put my 2c in

I've been collecting GA and SA comics for almost 30 years.

And the only two major 'playas' I've ever bought anything from are Gene Carpenter, who is a very good friend, and Richard Evans. I bought some of Richard's correctly graded and priced half-off silver age at WWPhilly a few years ago. And back in the 80s I did a lot of business with James Payette. OK...three.

Please excuse me if somebody on the boards that I've bought from considers themself a 'playa', :sorry: No offense should be taken. lol

I've sold some books to a few of them over the years, and some of them do pay very good prices. Gene, Richard, Harley, Goldman, Nathan, and Beerbohm to name but a few.

But that said, If you don't like the grade and price and more importantly the way you are treated, move on ....you'll come across it eventually.

Especially in this....the internet age.

Fourth, Metro shops at Heritage too. If they win a book, you can be sure its because they feel its undervalued and they will price it accordingly. Yes it hurts when I buy books from Metro that sold for 25% less six months before at Heritage... but I can only ask myself "Would I buy at Metro's price today?".

Or maybe they feel a book is undergraded?

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=806&Lot_No=3283&src=pr#Photo

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/bookSear...p;search=Search

Since someone else has already bumped this ancient thread I'd like to point out that this book is still available. ;)

And the only two major 'playas' I've ever bought anything from are Gene Carpenter, who is a very good friend, and Richard Evans. I bought some of Richard's correctly graded and priced half-off silver age at WWPhilly a few years ago. And back in the 80s I did a lot of business with James Payette. OK...three.

Please excuse me if somebody on the boards that I've bought from considers themself a 'playa', :sorry: No offense should be taken. lol

I've sold some books to a few of them over the years, and some of them do pay very good prices. Gene, Richard, Harley, Goldman, Nathan, and Beerbohm to name but a few.

But that said, If you don't like the grade and price and more importantly the way you are treated, move on ....you'll come across it eventually.

Gene Carpenter may very well be the friendliest dealer in the business. I love talking to him.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Gene Carpenter may very well be the friendliest dealer in the business. I love talking to him.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I agree 100%. Gene is great to talk to. He really knows his stuff, too!

Fourth, Metro shops at Heritage too. If they win a book, you can be sure its because they feel its undervalued and they will price it accordingly. Yes it hurts when I buy books from Metro that sold for 25% less six months before at Heritage... but I can only ask myself "Would I buy at Metro's price today?".

Or maybe they feel a book is undergraded?

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=806&Lot_No=3283&src=pr#Photo

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/bookSear...p;search=Search

Since someone else has already bumped this ancient thread I'd like to point out that this book is still available. ;)

Wow...I have been buying quite a few books from them lately and probably still will as they have treated me fairly. I will just stick with certified material and while I have noticed the same books they picked up at heritage selling for more on their site....I have done the same thing hundreds of times on Ebay. If they can buy low and then raise prices to make a profit, more power to them....we the consumers have the final say on what we are willing to pay. (thumbs u

I realised a long time ago that if I had philosophical differences with a dealer then there would be nothing they had that would get me to buy from them. A very wise person once told me "It's only a comic book" and if it's not any fun to collect, then it's just not worth it. I've run into some of the most deceptive characters I've ever known, who's sole goal was to work as many angles they could to get over in a deal. Victory at all cost. It just isn't worth it, which is why I've backed away from active collecting. The lengths that some of these people would go to, just helped to suck the joy out of the hobby for me.

I realised a long time ago that if I had philosophical differences with a dealer then there would be nothing they had that would get me to buy from them. A very wise person once told me "It's only a comic book" and if it's not any fun to collect, then it's just not worth it. I've run into some of the most deceptive characters I've ever known, who's sole goal was to work as many angles they could to get over in a deal. Victory at all cost. It just isn't worth it, which is why I've backed away from active collecting. The lengths that some of these people would go to, just helped to suck the joy out of the hobby for me.

Few things suck the joy out of the hobby for me, but not having enough money to buy what I want is chief amongst them.

:)

Just kidding, even then I satisfy myself with cheap, fun books.

Few things suck the joy out of the hobby for me, but no having enough money to buy what I want is chief amongst them.

That's where I come in. :hi:

Few things suck the joy out of the hobby for me, but no having enough money to buy what I want is chief amongst them.

Of course, being miserable is something I enjoy.

Just kidding, even then I satisfy myself with cheap, fun women.

fixed that for you

Just kidding, even then I satisfy myself with cheap, fun women.

fixed that for you

Hey! Me too!

For the record, the one time I had a problem with Metro on a deal, just this last comic con, we talked it through, and they made it right. I can't vouch for anyone else's experiences but there you have it.