• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my last, last i tell you, attempted transaction with metropolis

379 posts in this topic

previous purchase price will dictate the price that I, as an informed buyer, am willing to pay,as it establishes the market value of the book

Maybe if they have multiple data points, but there are plenty (maybe even the majority) of golden age books where there are zero, one or two sales represented in GPA. Should a seller be handicapped price-wise because the same issue sold four years ago for a certain amount?

GPA is great for silver and bronze, but often useless when it comes to golden age. One or two sales does not establish a market price. Not to mention the fact that the original sale may have been poorly advertised, the book in question could have weak PQ or QP, ect.

It could have been graded 7.5 raw originally and then received a 9.6 from CGC. Of course, I'm speaking hypothetically.

Hey if you don't like the price then move on and go buy it from someone else? Seems to me to be a tad arrogant to demand that a book (rare or not) be sold in a certain price range. I have paid top dollar for books that I want but that is because when I really want a book I don't mind paying extra to secure it. I can understand being frustrated for not getting a book at the price you want but to publicly complain and stamp your feet about it is silly. Seems like the only person who is upset about the book not selling is you?

But the previous purchase price will dictate the price that I, as an informed buyer, am willing to pay, as it establishes the market value of the book.

If that's the case, why do the values of books increase? Following your logic, no book should be sold for more than cover price, since that was what the book originally sold for. It's basic economics -- supply and demand. Just because you don't want to pay more doesn't mean that someone else, who may really want a particular book for whatever reason, isn't willing to pay just a little bit more (or a lot more, depending on the book and other circumstances) to acquire that book. Pushing the envelope with regards to pricing is not that uncommon in a collectibles market.

previous purchase price will dictate the price that I, as an informed buyer, am willing to pay,as it establishes the market value of the book

Maybe if they have multiple data points, but there are plenty (maybe even the majority) of golden age books where there are zero, one or two sales represented in GPA. Should a seller be handicapped price-wise because the same issue sold four years ago for a certain amount?

GPA is great for silver and bronze, but often useless when it comes to golden age. One or two sales does not establish a market price. Not to mention the fact that the original sale may have been poorly advertised, the book in question could have weak PQ or QP, ect.

I like the way you phrased your arguments October. IMO, a seller should not be hanicapped by sales figures from 4 years ago. I am certainly willing to consider paying more $ for a book that sold four years ago, utilizing a comparison in guide price.

I know you dinstinguised between Golden and Silver Age in your post. That notwithstanding, I was following a CGC 8.0 copy of Amazing Spiderman #3 on ebay recently, which had previously sold on Heritage for nearly $2600 several years back. The seller listed the book with a BIN of $3200, and I was in contact with him negotiating an offer. It sold for $2550 before I could finalize the deal. The GPAnalysis held up in this one example.

Regarding your comment about advertising, I don't believe that there are many people who are going to argue that a book that sold in a Heritage Signature Auction was poorly advertised. However, I can see your point about an eBay auction, such as the ASM #3 example I described directly above.

Hey if you don't like the price then move on and go buy it from someone else? Seems to me to be a tad arrogant to demand that a book (rare or not) be sold in a certain price range. I have paid top dollar for books that I want but that is because I when I really want a book I don't mind paying extra to secure it. I can understand being frustrated for not getting a book at the price you want but to publicly complain and stamp your feet about it is silly. Seems like the only person who is upset about the book not selling is you?

Arragant am I. Um, this is a public forum, and I am expressing facts. Are you associated with Metro by chance?

For every GPA supported example you give I can counter with examples that blows away previous sales figures. Just sold a BA book today for 27% more than I bought it for 6 months ago. So much for GPA.

Perhaps. But GPA still applies, as it relates to primarily auction results, and not necessarily private sales.

Hey if you don't like the price then move on and go buy it from someone else? Seems to me to be a tad arrogant to demand that a book (rare or not) be sold in a certain price range. I have paid top dollar for books that I want but that is because I when I really want a book I don't mind paying extra to secure it. I can understand being frustrated for not getting a book at the price you want but to publicly complain and stamp your feet about it is silly. Seems like the only person who is upset about the book not selling is you?

Arragant am I. Um, this is a public forum, and I am expressing facts. Are you associated with Metro by chance?

No, but just think about it for a second. How would you feel if you were in their shoes and someone was complaining about your asking prices? I'm selling some books in the marketplace right now, if people think the asking price is too high well then I won't be losing any sleep over it.

For every GPA supported example you give I can counter with examples that blows away previous sales figures. Just sold a BA book today for 27% more than I bought it for 6 months ago. So much for GPA.

Was the BA book you mention here an often traded example?

No, but just think about it for a second. How would you feel if you were in their shoes and someone was complaining about your asking prices? I'm selling some books in the marketplace right now, if people think the asking price is too high well then I won't be losing any sleep over it.

I don't necessarily disagree with you Surfer on that last point. But I do have money burning a whole in my pocket to spend on books, and I am willing to spend it if the price is reasonable. I am not asking Metro to sell a book for less than the purchase price. I am asking to sell it to me for profit.

He can say whatever he wants of course, and it would bother me if someone complained publically about my willingness to negotiate a price to my customers satisfaction.I would hope to speak to him 1st to resolve it or at least be giving the chance before a negitive public statement.Thats what Id like, but he is intitled to do it this way if he so desires.

Hey I subscribe to GPA, love it so don't get me wrong just trying to illustrated how one dimensional the data can be if not looked at carefully. To answer your question, no.

Hey I subscribe to GPA, love it so don't get me wrong just trying to illustrated how one dimensional the data can be if not looked at carefully. To answer your question, no.

Hey, no problem either way thumbsup2.gif - I was just wondering on what the sales trend shows for the book you mention - often people will say "I got more for this than the last GPA sale", but the last GPA sale is only part of the picture. We encourage our subscribers to look at all the data for a specific book/grade and the surrounding grades, and the trending for the book in general. Sometimes a higher price is not surprising when you consider the book may have been trending upwards anyway.

He can say whatever he wants of course, and it would bother me if someone complained publically about my willingness to negotiate a price to my customers satisfaction.I would hope to speak to him 1st to resolve it or at least be giving the chance before a negitive public statement.Thats what Id like, but he is intitled to do it this way if he so desires.

How can I disagree with someone who is also named Peter. thumbsup2.gif

When I have researched Metro's site for books I want.. I've found many books priced below what OSPG guide value is at. But I understand a business model that a book is priced 2X guide and not discounted.... heck ... we here in our own sales threads price books way above guide because GPA data has dictated such..

Metro has no responsibility to discount anything... it's like a game of cat and mouse.. at the right time.. you'll find books on their site priced well below guide.. half the stuff I see is always listed as 10-25% off...

I like their style and I've always been treated well...

and like one member posted earlier.. if you don't like the price.. move along.. we may be repeat clients.. and you may feel offended when a business doesn't give you a price you want on a book based on past patronage...but business is business... if they've personally insulted you ...then you may have a gripe.. but a business doesn't owe you anything...

I don't understand why folks sometimes feel like they're owed something.. confused-smiley-013.gif

Filmed in California but was suppose to be New Utrecht High School in Bensonhurst. That was the school you actually saw on the saw. The shot under the L[Train tressel] was 86st in Bensonhurt,. I spent the 1st 25 years of my life livin right there.