• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pay Copy on Heritage?

137 posts in this topic

Kind of harsh. In the early eighties, I purchased books and never dreamed to open them as I trusted the dealers who sold the comics to me. The book was purchased from a John Snyder via a third party.

Didn't you want to open them to look at them?

And yes I meant JS - and there is his name again.

Actually no. I used to buy books for the cover and the pristine condition. I never had a desire to open a comic, especially one that survived for decades undisturbed (at least what I thought). I just had too much trust back then.

There have been times where I've upgraded and since I had alredy read the stories, didn't look too closely at the inside of the book only to do so a few years later before selling an item, and find that it had undisclosed problems.This happened to a book I sold to a friend that ended up having a page missing.Very embarassing.

Steve , Who owns the"Church" GL # 5 classic cover btw & does that also have color touch? I think Joe Smekjal years ago in ads was looking for it.

To my knowledge, the Church GL 5 is unknown (exist?).

STEVE

Kind of harsh. In the early eighties, I purchased books and never dreamed to open them as I trusted the dealers who sold the comics to me. The book was purchased from a John Snyder via a third party.

Didn't you want to open them to look at them?

And yes I meant JS - and there is his name again.

Gotcha, and you're right - the confusion is that the current owner (a different person) also has the same initials.

STEVE

It's a shame that our hobby has so many unscrupulous dealers that we're are able to chase away good people with big hearts and deep pocket books then wonder why we don't have big money buying.

How do we love the book more then the people whom without would make the book worthless and the hobby boring?

Am I the only one who finds this ironic? confused-smiley-013.gif

From what I've heard, the owner of the run recently discovered the GL #1 was restored. The resto could not be removed since it was amatuer color touch and bled through tonofbricks.gif

Umm...If you buy a GL #1 and it has bleed-through color touch on it and you don't notice it, I kinda think you have no one to blame but yourself.

(even though it's sucky that it was sold as unrestored, we don't know that the seller even knew - but I wouldn't be surprised if this book had also gone through JS's colored fingers).

If you know the owner of the GL # 1, then you would know that he could never see the CT on that book. Just very sad, I feel terrible for him frown.gif

Are you saying Stevie Wonder is the owner?

From what I've heard, the owner of the run recently discovered the GL #1 was restored. The resto could not be removed since it was amatuer color touch and bled through tonofbricks.gif

Umm...If you buy a GL #1 and it has bleed-through color touch on it and you don't notice it, I kinda think you have no one to blame but yourself.

(even though it's sucky that it was sold as unrestored, we don't know that the seller even knew - but I wouldn't be surprised if this book had also gone through JS's colored fingers).

If you know the owner of the GL # 1, then you would know that he could never see the CT on that book. Just very sad, I feel terrible for him frown.gif

Are you saying Stevie Wonder is the owner?

Not nice 893naughty-thumb.gif

The owner is one of the nicest people on the planet, a true lover of comics who could not have cared about value, who would love to see this hobby survive long after he is gone and, not just so happens to have been losing his sight, but is "old school", so can't tell restoration and trusts waaaaaaaaay too many people BECAUSE of his love for this hobby.

sign-rantpost.gif

The owner is one of the nicest people on the planet, a true lover of comics who could not have cared about value, who would love to see this hobby survive long after he is gone and, not just so happens to have been losing his sight, but is "old school",

so can't tell restoration and trusts waaaaaaaaay too many people BECAUSE of his love for this hobby.

A public service announcement extolling the virtues of CGC.

Interesting. When I saw the books up, I just assumed they were being sold by Geppi and that the color touch was by Snyder, so Geppi obviously knew about it. After reading this thread, I don't know what to think, except that it's a crying shame that such wonderful books got tampered with for no good reason at all, and that it's a crying shame that a collector got taken advantage of. Sounds like yet another old-timer becoming disillusioned for good reason.

The owner is one of the nicest people on the planet, a true lover of comics who could not have cared about value, who would love to see this hobby survive long after he is gone and, not just so happens to have been losing his sight, but is "old school",

so can't tell restoration and trusts waaaaaaaaay too many people BECAUSE of his love for this hobby.

I am sorry, did I say something to offend you?

This is a friend of mine that I have spent hours and hours on the phone with waaaay before CGC. Someone I have spent much time with at conventions. Talking about everything under the sun, from family to politics, not just comics. Someone who is my friend and calls me his friend.Do you know something that I do not???????

This is a friend of mine that I have spent hours and hours on the phone with waaaay before CGC. Someone I have spent much time with at conventions. Talking about everything under the sun, from family to politics, not just comics. Someone who is my friend and calls me his friend.Do you know something that I do not???????

Steve;

I actually read the post as a public endorsement of CGC's services. Of course, you may rightly have seen it as a sarcastic comment based upon your knowledge of the poster. confused.gif

Anyways, back to the topic.

Definitely agree with you on your personal opinion of the collector in question as he is indeed a real nice person that I have known for a long time. Any idea if his Church copies of the Sandman Adventure covers are safe from the magic marker if he still has them?

Truly a sad story on the GL's! frown.gif

Steve;

I actually read the post as a public endorsement of CGC's services. Of course, you may rightly have seen it as a sarcastic comment based upon your knowledge of the poster. confused.gif

Anyways, back to the topic.

Definitely agree with you on your personal opinion of the collector in question as he is indeed a real nice person that I have known for a long time. Any idea if his Church copies of the Sandman Adventure covers are safe from the magic marker if he still has them?

Truly a sad story on the GL's! frown.gif

I have had PM's with the poster and you got it right, he was endorsing CGC. I am just very frustrated with the whole thing and my friend got the shaft. Way too worried about him to see the posts without gramlins correctly sorry.gif

All books are suspect until looked at by someone who knows what they are looking for. That is the true shame sumo.gif

Interesting. When I saw the books up, I just assumed they were being sold by Geppi and that the color touch was by Snyder, so Geppi obviously knew about it. After reading this thread, I don't know what to think, except that it's a crying shame that such wonderful books got tampered with for no good reason at all, and that it's a crying shame that a collector got taken advantage of. Sounds like yet another old-timer becoming disillusioned for good reason.

How many collectors - how many of us - has/is this same tragic scenario happened/going to happen to?

In the metro thread it was brought up about comic collectors being a community. Well, members of a true community look out for each other and don't sit quietly idle when their friends and neighbors have been misled, defrauded, or cheated by other members of the community...especially when it happens over and over again.

As more ugly stories such as this continue to be told, what is the community's response going to be? Same old, same old ...or greater understanding and subsequent action towards positive change?

It's really up to you, it's really up to all of us...

End of sign-rantpost.gif

STEVE

And I just wanted to say "thanks" to Steve Borock for taking the time and consideration to chime in on this horrible situation involving our mutual friend.

Your participation is much appreciated, Steve 893applaud-thumb.gif

STEVE

Just curious and not that it matters to this particular situation, but how long ago did the current owner acquire these books? And regardless of the resto on a few of them, these books are beautiful and this run is something to be very proud of... very very impressive.

I am unsure of the date acquired, but figure about 20 years ago. confused-smiley-013.gif I'm sure mrbedrock or Steve B know.

Anyway, this makes me rethink the entire Church pedigree. Obviously, it is a great collection either way. But being that a great deal of the top tier mainstream hero books have not been to market since the industry took notice of resto work and such, it makes me wonder how many more are tainted. crazy.gif

Alot. Especially if there keys.

superman # 1.........now unrestored again [gotta laugh]

batman # 1

More Fun 52........

adv 40.

all star 3.

and thats just off the top of my head.

All of them[ except the Bat 1] are in blue labels , and have slight color or glue on them in notes. The Bat 1 is ungraded.

Yeah, it just makes you sick to think that one person single-handedly altered so many of those beautiful books. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Why would you take the the nicest Adventure #40 and decide that maybe it needs just a few extra spots of help? Guess for the same reason he did it to the Green Lantern #1 - might have to settle for 5 or 6x guide instead of squeezing out that full 7x.

More Fun 52........

Speaking of...I remember waaay back when Mark Wilson had picked this up and he was so excited as it was supposed to be one of the few untampered with mega-keys. He got it and of course was extremely upset to find out otherwise and Ernie would not even talk about taking it back. (Of course some would say that given Mark's reputation this turn of events was only the balancing of the karma wheel).