• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pay Copy on Heritage?

137 posts in this topic

Well, it was done because back than restoring a comicbook [increased its value] that was the motivation. Alot of people forgot the 80s and 90s. Of course all of that has reversed now In our faces. There are alot more big restoration surprises I assure you.

Yeah, it just makes you sick to think that one person single-handedly altered so many of those beautiful books. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Why would you take the the nicest Adventure #40 and decide that maybe it needs just a few extra spots of help? Guess for the same reason he did it to the Green Lantern #1 - might have to settle for 5 or 6x guide instead of squeezing out that full 7x.

So you seem to be concluding that the color touch was from Snyder, and not from Anderson?

More Fun 52........

Speaking of...I remember waaay back when Mark Wilson had picked this up and he was so excited as it was supposed to be one of the few untampered with mega-keys. He got it and of course was extremely upset to find out otherwise and Ernie would not even talk about taking it back. (Of course some would say that given Mark's reputation this turn of events was only the balancing of the karma wheel).

That book is now a CGC 9.2 with slight glue I believe. It is owned by a BIG collector.

Just curious and not that it matters to this particular situation, but how long ago did the current owner acquire these books? And regardless of the resto on a few of them, these books are beautiful and this run is something to be very proud of... very very impressive.

Joe Smejkal owns them and is consigning them to Heritage. He bought 2-10 (except the #5 whose whereabouts is unknown) from Ernie Gerber in a deal brokered by Dave Anderson in '88 or '89. After that deal was done Dave sold Joe the Green Lantern #1. At the Baltimore Heritage auction last September I overheard a conversation between Dave and one of the authors of the upcoming Pedigree Book. Dave was asked which Mile Highs that he knew John Snyder or others had tampered with. As he was reeling off books the Green Lantern #1 came up. Interesting! Joe had always assumed it was unrestored. In fact, one of the reasons he started buying Mile Highs was he had been burned by restoration in the past. Who would restore Mile Highs? that was the prevailing sentiment at that time. Dave had never mentioned to Joe anything about restoration at the time of the original sale, yet knew of it years later. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Joe was told of this, had it graded and here we are.

I just got off the phone with Joe to make sure the facts are straight.

Needless to say, he is disappointed.

Well, it was done because back than restoring a comicbook [increased its value] that was the motivation. Alot of people forgot the 80s and 90s. Of course all of that has reversed now In our faces. There are alot more big restoration surprises I assure you.

I would guess so. Stuff like this makes more and more certain that the Reilly collection is the top GA pedigree. What's even worse then the resto though, is that it was not disclosed. frown.gif When any product becomes a "collectible", it seems right that the seller would disclose resto (whether a car, a comic or any collectible).

Just curious and not that it matters to this particular situation, but how long ago did the current owner acquire these books? And regardless of the resto on a few of them, these books are beautiful and this run is something to be very proud of... very very impressive.

Joe Smejkal owns them and is consigning them to Heritage. He bought 2-10 (except the #5 whose whereabouts is unknown) from Ernie Gerber in a deal brokered by Dave Anderson in '88 or '89. After that deal was done Dave sold Joe the Green Lantern #1. At the Baltimore Heritage auction last September I overheard a conversation between Dave and one of the authors of the upcoming Pedigree Book. Dave was asked which Mile Highs that he knew John Snyder or others had tampered with. As he was reeling off books the Green Lantern #1 came up. Interesting! Joe had always assumed it was unrestored. In fact, one of the reasons he started buying Mile Highs was he had been burned by restoration in the past. Who would restore Mile Highs? that was the prevailing sentiment at that time. Dave had never mentioned to Joe anything about restoration at the time of the original sale, yet knew of it years later. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Joe was told of this, had it graded and here we are.

I just got off the phone with Joe to make sure the facts are straight.

Needless to say, he is disappointed.

Joe Smejkal . Yep ! Ole Hawkeye himself.

Thanks for that post mrbedrock. Good info. I've never met him, but he sounds like a nice guy though. I feel bad for him.

I guess it is an ironic pun that he co-discovered the Hawkeye pedigree, but was unable to "spot" the resto on the GL #1. Unfortunately, it's not a funny pun crazy.gif The whole thing is just a situation that should never have happened. I am interested to see how this plays out, with the sale values of the GL run and future Mile High books. Any guesses on what the GL #1 will fetch?

All books are suspect until looked at by someone who knows what they are looking for. That is the true shame

Here's what irks me. I continue to read threads about the value of buying raw books. Is restoration rather easy to detect? Are we playing roulette buying raw books from sellers without a sufficient return policy (sending the books for 3rd party restoration check)?

I'm told that older collectors feel no need to send their books to CGC. Am I safe buying the books from these old timers without a 3rd party checK?

I've read that if one knows the history of the raw books then one should feel safe in buying those copies. Now I wonder if what I read is correct?

In general, are you are confirming my long held view that unless I put in vast amounts of time to become an expert at restoration I need a knowledgable 3rd party to supply me their opinion?

Depends on if its slight mod or ext and the Big question. Will it be in a blue or plod.

Cant answer the value without knowing which it is. Most Mile highs with resto are slight resto either in a blue or plod. If this is the case here I would expect it to follow the path of the Mile high adv 40 pricewise if in a plod with slight. Blue with slight would be bettor of course.If hes upset as im hearing I think it probably got the plod, but I dont know.Makes sence though.

Thanks for that post mrbedrock. Good info. I've never met him, but he sounds like a nice guy though. I feel bad for him.

I guess it is an ironic pun that he co-discovered the Hawkeye pedigree, but was unable to "spot" the resto on the GL #1. Unfortunately, it's not a funny pun crazy.gif The whole thing is just a situation that should never have happened. I am interested to see how this plays out, with the sale values of the GL run and future Mile High books. Any guesses on what the GL #1 will fetch?

While Joe is associated with the Hawkeye's he really didn't discover them. He saw an ad in the Comic Buyers Guide. Bought a few. Saw how nice they were and then tried to buy as many as he could. What is ironic is that he traded some of them towards some of the books in question.

I also do not think anyone should disparage the Mile High/Church collection over a few knuckleheads tampering with some of the keys. The restored books are very few in relation to the collection as a whole. And while there are books in other collections that stand up to the Church books, in a majority of cases the Church book is the best. They are still deserving of all the praise they have received over the years. And just so you know, I only have a few and have no real vested interest.

Are we playing roulette buying raw books from sellers without a sufficient return policy

Unquestionably. I never buy raw from a seller unless they have a rock solid return policy.

Are we playing roulette buying raw books from sellers without a sufficient return policy

Unquestionably. I never buy raw from a seller unless they have a rock solid return policy.

I dont even buy raw if they have that!

While Joe is associated with the Hawkeye's he really didn't discover them. He saw an ad in the Comic Buyers Guide. Bought a few. Saw how nice they were and then tried to buy as many as he could. What is ironic is that he traded some of them towards some of the books in question.

I also do not think anyone should disparage the Mile High/Church collection over a few knuckleheads tampering with some of the keys. The restored books are very few in relation to the collection as a whole. And while there are books in other collections that stand up to the Church books, in a majority of cases the Church book is the best. They are still deserving of all the praise they have received over the years. And just so you know, I only have a few and have no real vested interest.

I agree. West(Timely) has posted more than once on the boards about side-by-side comparisons he's made of the same book from the Church & Reilly pedigrees. The Reilly books are beautiful, but the color on the Church books is unsurpassed.

Depends on if its slight mod or ext and the Big question. Will it be in a blue or plod.

Cant answer the value without knowing which it is. Most Mile highs with resto are slight resto either in a blue or plod. If this is the case here I would expect it to follow the path of the Mile high adv 40 pricewise if in a plod with slight. Blue with slight would be bettor of course.If hes upset as im hearing I think it probably got the plod, but I dont know.Makes sence though.

I am assuming it is a purple label--slight amatuer ct. Although, tha's just my assumption. I don't see how it could be moderate or extensive, as that would be pretty tough to hide...essecially with some of the resto work being done 20+ years ago.

I didn't either for several years, after an unfortunate incident with Greg White. But, in the last 6 months or so, I've dipped my toes back into the raw market. Picked up some nice books, but they all tend to be overgraded, even from the most established dealers.

I didn't either for several years, after an unfortunate incident with Greg White. But, in the last 6 months or so, I've dipped my toes back into the raw market. Picked up some nice books, but they all tend to be overgraded, even from the most established dealers.

Yeap ! I hear ya Jeff.

Yeah, it just makes you sick to think that one person single-handedly altered so many of those beautiful books. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Why would you take the the nicest Adventure #40 and decide that maybe it needs just a few extra spots of help? Guess for the same reason he did it to the Green Lantern #1 - might have to settle for 5 or 6x guide instead of squeezing out that full 7x.

So you seem to be concluding that the color touch was from Snyder, and not from Anderson?

Its pretty well known that Snyder did all his "work" back in the early 80s all by hisself. Dave has been "accused" of passing along books w/o disclosed resto, but not having done any of the colortouching himself. So no one is guessing that JS touched up the MH keys, but I suppose someone else COULD have gotten to one or more of them. Hey, JS would be blamed anyway!!

I love to learn....but hate threads like this....the dentist (?) should pay the man for selling a restored book (knowingly?) if that's the case....as stated in this thread.

No way to make it happen that I know of, but it just chaps my hide to see this stuff time and again....