• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

when you upgrade. Do you sell first or buy first?

15 posts in this topic

I don't think it really matters. It depends on your cash flow. I sometimes sell and then upgrade and sometimes I upgrade and then sell depending on the green backs I currently have on hand. Some folks get kind of edgy when they sell before they buy the upgraded copy because they may have a complete run of something and now there's this hole in their collection even though they know they will be upgrading shortly.

i have a smash comics collection.but need to upgrade 3 and 6.is it better to sell and then upgrade or upgrade then sell. confused.gif

I buy first and then sell off the undercopy. I dont want to sell the undercopy and not have something to replace it with.

i have a smash comics collection.but need to upgrade 3 and 6.is it better to sell and then upgrade or upgrade then sell. confused.gif

I buy first and then sell off the undercopy. I dont want to sell the undercopy and not have something to replace it with.

Same here. I upgrade, sell the undergrades and start all over again. It's a vicious circle. devil.gif

This is an interesting question... thumbsup2.gif

Depending on how long it will take to replace the book, it sometimes makes sense to sell after you upgrade to maximize your return on the book and minimize your cost of upgrading.

Of course, if you need the cash for another book then it may make sense to sell first and let the chips fall where they may regarding the upgrade.

For me it depends on how liquid the lower-grade book is and whether or not I'd be willing to keep it if I couldn't find a better copy.

I've done it:

[*] Keep undergrade, Buy/Win upgrade

[*] Sell undergrade, Lose Upgrade frown.gif

[*] Sell undergrade, Win Upgrade smile.gif

If I've had to sell undergrades before getting an upgrade it more than likely is because I needed funds for the upgrade.

thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Generally I don't sell the undercopy until I have the upgrade.

But if the undercopy is so far below standard that I wouldn't miss it then it can go anytime.

I usually buy when the best deal presents itself. I found that aiting always saves you money since the same books do tend to appear quite often (not talking grails here). Once I have the book I reaaly want then I look around to see what I can get ride of.

thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif