• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Vintage Auctions

254 posts in this topic

Duck books are going insane!

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #25 in 7.0 went for 10x guide. :o

me. I have a WDCS 25 in 7.0ish raw. Off to Sarasota it will be on Monday. :o

I picked up one of my first Timely's (Daring Mystery #3) and the only Centaur in the auction I still needed (Funny Pages #9; down to around 20 to go to close out the publisher), as well as a nifty pulp.

Great pick-up of the 'Tec #1, Koko. That's a tremendous book, one of my all time favorites. I sure wish I were bidding in British pounds!

It's just very nice to see that the Golden Age market remains strong. Congrats to everyone who won books!

:gossip: I'm hoping to nab one in the weekly auction tomorrow.

I was wondering if you had seen the America's Best 10 in the Sunday auction... its an amazing looking copy. I had given some thought to taking a shot at it, until I won the Batman #3 today. Good luck on it!

I picked up one of my first Timely's (Daring Mystery #3) and the only Centaur in the auction I still needed (Funny Pages #9; down to around 20 to go to close out the publisher), as well as a nifty pulp.

Great pick-up of the 'Tec #1, Koko. That's a tremendous book, one of my all time favorites. I sure wish I were bidding in British pounds!

I sure wish I was being paid in British Pounds......

I sure wish I was being paid in British Pounds......

lol

Me too!!!!!

Except for the Church Green Lantern #37 every single Church Green Lantern went to a phone bidder! Guess thats how the heavy hitters put in their bids!

On a side note, did anyone else notice that after San Diego, Metro bumped the prices for most of their premium GA stuff even more? Books that have been sitting in their inventory for five years have another 5% added to their asking price?

One of the first things you learn when you join the fraternal order of comic dealers is the old adage, "If it doesn't sell for $100, it will just as easily not sell for $1000"!

Words to live by really.

lol(worship)

The price on the GL 3 is nuts. For that kind of money you could have yourself a nice looking Superman 1 or possibly even a restored Action 1.

Perhaps a collector who can drop that kind of coin on a GL 3 already has a nice looking Superman 1 and/or a Action 1? :gossip:

There is no "only" when it comes to MH.

Sure there is. I picked up some of the Mile High Lone Rangers in the auction. I`m sure the superhero-centric collectors here will do a collective (shrug)

This auction reinforced that GA Ducks are THE hottest segment right now and the sale of a FC 386 (US 1) for a new record so soon after the previous record sale in November seems to indicate it`s not just 2 crazy Scandinavians driving each other up!

Notable Duck sales:

FC 386 (US 1) CGC 9.4 - $28,680 (12X Guide)

FC 456 (US 2) CGC 9.2 - $7767 (6X)

FC 495 (US 3) CGC 9.4 - $10,157 (11X)

WDCS 29 CGC 9.2 - $5975 (7X)

WDCS 43 CGC 9.4 - $8365 (13X)

Carl Barks OA for 1 page from US 62 - $11,950

The only relative bargain in Ducks was the MOC #20 (CGC 9.6), which went for a "mere" $11,950 (a bargain 2.5X Guide).

Win;

Didn't realize that you was also going after the Funny Pages #9. I gave it the old college try, but decided to back off when the bidding got into the $600 something range.

Really early Centaur in half decent shape with nice pages which is almost impossible to find.

Was thinking of going a bit higher on the book considering that it is currently the highest graded copy along with being a Gerber 8 on the SI. Now I am glad I didn't, since I am sure you would have been there all the way which would only have resulted in a greater outlay on your part.

Congrats on your two pickups and enjoy! (thumbs u

BTW: Whatever happen to your plans to provide us with a one destination summary of all of your Windex scarcity ratings? I would love to see this summary of yours. :wishluck:

What was incorrect about the description? Is it the original art created for the cover of the comic?

This auction reinforced that GA Ducks are THE hottest segment right now and the sale of a FC 386 (US 1) for a new record so soon after the previous record sale in November seems to indicate it`s not just 2 crazy Scandinavians driving each other up!

Notable Duck sales:

The only relative bargain in Ducks was the MOC #20 (CGC 9.6), which went for a "mere" $11,950 (a bargain 2.5X Guide).

Tim;

I believe your comments about the Duck books are true only if you qualify them.

I believe they only apply if you are talking about 9.X+ books along with it being the highest graded copy in existence. I believe all of the above books would qualify and therefore sells for hefty multiples to guide.

Knock them down a few notches on the grading scale and the Ducks generally move only at prices a lot closer to guide. Not so with the really early Archies which seems to be able to attract multiples or hefty premiums to guide across all grades and sometimes even in raw condition.

My general theory is that if a book is able to consistently generate multiples or at least hefty premiums to guide in either raw condition or restored condition, then it's the sign of a really HOT book. Not sure if the Duck books would be able to do this.

Notable Duck sales:

Tim;

I believe your comments about the Duck books are true only if you qualify them.

I believe they only apply if you are talking about 9.X+ books along with it being the highest graded copy in existence. I believe all of the above books would qualify and therefore sells for hefty multiples to guide.

Knock them down a few notches on the grading scale and the Ducks generally move only at prices a lot closer to guide. Not so with the really early Archies which seems to be able to attract multiples or hefty premiums to guide across all grades and sometimes even in raw condition.

My general theory is that if a book is able to consistently generate multiples or at least hefty premiums to guide in either raw condition or restored condition, then it's the sign of a really HOT book. Not sure if the Duck books would be able to do this.

Dean, I just highlighted the 9.0 and better books that I happen to have personally followed. I think if you read elsewhere in this thread you`ll see October`s comments about the extraordinary multiples being paid for much lower grade WDC&Ss.

In any event, in my world there are only books in 9.0 and better, so that`s what I judge hotness on. Market strength or weakness for lesser grades, or restored copies, is totally irrelevant to me.

There is no "only" when it comes to MH.

Sure there is. I picked up some of the Mile High Lone Rangers in the auction. I`m sure the superhero-centric collectors here will do a collective (shrug)

Except for me. :shy:

I'm superhero-centric, but I collect offbeat MH comics. And a MH Lone Ranger? :cloud9:

The high grade Golden Age market is strong. The rest, eh.

I agree with you, the HG is super strong...and, many many titles in low to mid are "eh"...but, I know timelys are selling easily in guide to 1.5x guide across all grades (at least MMC and Captain americas and even some HT)....and recently, centaurs have really heated up ...I have seen 2-5x guide on many different titles (KDF, AMF, AM, FP etc) across all grades...every market is cyclical to some degree....but overall, I would say the GA market is doing above average to well :)

rick

6 times guide for 6.5 copy of Exciting #39 seems pretty strong to me.