• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Vintage Auctions

254 posts in this topic

There's no good reason to bid on a Heritage auction through eBay. Just do it on the Heritage site.

Can you bid later on EBay than online with Heritage?

Yes. This is possible. If you bid on a book and it closed on heritage you can still bid on ebay as Heritage closes 2 days early before the live bidding. The thing is you pay more 22.5% vs 19.5% for commission. It was a nice feature then but now you can also bid live on Heritage website during the auction itself. I have not tried it yet though since I might get tempted to spend more than I can afford for a book. :tonofbricks:

When I saw the 9.2 copy of Ibis #6 on Heritage, I had thought it would be cool to be able to reassemble half of the MH Ibis run (since I already own #1 and #3). It's a bit below what I normally collect, but I figured I could pick it up on the cheap and have a nice little MH run (of an admittedly obscure title). But then a reserve of $1493 (with the BP) kicked in, which is 2.2X of Guide.

Now, I know that GA collectors pride themselves on not caring about gauche things like differences in grades above VF (because we should all be so lucky to own any comic book from the 1940s in any grade), but considering that the #1 and #3 were 9.6s and I picked them up for less than 3X Guide, doesn't 2.2X seem like a rather aggressive asking price for a 9.2 copy?

Needless to say this copy won't be entering my collection at this price. :(

If it was me I would probably get the IBIS #6 since it doesn't guide for much and there is only 6 issues that you need to complete the total Church run of this title. Do you know who owns the other 3 books in the run? If I only needed the #6 and had all the others than I would definitely pursue the #6. I bought a Church copy of one of the Danger Trails, an obscure 50's DC title which only lasted 5 issues, so I wanted to get all Church copies of this short run together but I have been unsuccessful after many years of looking. Good luck with your quest!

The bidding on the Exciting #39 was more aggressive than I expected. $1314.50 for a 6.5? The book is an obvious pressing candidate, but I doubt it would bump it up any higher than 7.5.

Hey Jeff, weren't you saying the Disney animation cel market had deflated from previous peaks? If so, I'd hate to see what the Pinnochio cel, which sold for $33K, would've gone for in a hot market! :o

Koko are you chasing that Tec #43 15 cent variant. I think the next bid is $2,868 so as much as I would like to have this rare copy I don't think I want it that much. If it was a Timely that would be a different story.

Haven't bid on it yet as I have other targets.

Have already won 4 items:

Larson Blue Beetle #1

Cap America Comics #59

Donald Duck #nn (Whitman)

Wonder Woman #1

Looked at the Exciting #39 but too expensive.

Like the look of some of the Ducks and early Supes.

The bidding on the Exciting #39 was more aggressive than I expected. $1314.50 for a 6.5? The book is an obvious pressing candidate, but I doubt it would bump it up any higher than 7.5.

WTF?? :o:o

To my shock and surprise, I'm actually the high bidder on four books (out of 23) going into the live auction. I'm guessing I may win one. Which would also be the first win at a Signature Auction since late last year because all of my bids in 2007 have been blown out of the water.

I'm either a tightass with my bids or the HG Gold market is really nutty, with premium prices paid for 2nd and 3rd tier stuff that I thought few people even bothered to collect.

Or both. meh

I only won one book (Mile High 9.4 copy of Patsy Walker #13). My maximum bid was $450 (pre BP), and the floor bidding stopped at exactly this value. One more bid and I would've been shut out!

I'm high bid on two books going into Sat floor session... :wishluck: I'd be ABSOLUTELY thrilled if I won either book!! Stay tuned.

Outbid on three others including the PLOD Red Raven #1 (after selling my Blue 5.5 last month)...

Dino

I am out of most everything too....I was high on the RR 1 for a while, but only in hunt for 3 books (high internet on 2, and phone bidder one 1)

gator

I didn't get any of the Vancouver books I was hoping for. :(

Ditto. I was bidding on the It Really Happened # 3 (Schomburg non-superhero Nazi war cover), which went for $448. Normally, non superhero Schomburgs can be had on the cheap but this book went for 4x 9.2 Guide.

Hats off to Heritage though, the recent Signature auctions are certainly bringing their consignors tippity-top prices for books.

I'm finding that deals through ebay and dealers directly that are even close to reasonable are my best hope to find the books I'm looking for, as Heritage, and to a lesser degree Comiclink, auctions are bringing the big money out of the woodwork.

On a side note, did anyone else notice that after San Diego, Metro bumped the prices for most of their premium GA stuff even more? Books that have been sitting in their inventory for five years have another 5% added to their asking price? I guess everything sells eventually, and their business model certainly works, but I think I'm going to sit on the sidelines and let other folks pay these nosebleed prices. When those same folks who pay top dollar absolutely need to sell, I'll be there on ebay to lowball their auctions and hopefully pick stuff up on the cheap. :wishluck: