• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Fun #67 on Ebay...

333 posts in this topic

You have to admit though, That's a book, in need of structural pressing. Otherwise, I could see it not even being a readable book in a few years. Sad, but one of the few times, I recommend pressing for a book and not just for looks.

Wow! Can't believe the action on this one. Looks like the winner will be lifting his house so he can put the book underneath it to press it! Will that be considered restoration? lol!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190132734329&rd=1&rd=1

it's already been pressed; between two sheets of tin roof.

Wow! Can't believe the action on this one. Looks like the winner will be lifting his house so he can put the book underneath it to press it! Will that be considered restoration? lol!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190132734329&rd=1&rd=1

it's already been pressed; between two sheets of tin roof.

lol

:P

in the original auction, it was stated that the books were wrapped in newspaper and "rolled" up and put in a coffee can (I believe)....so, likely not rolled so tight to really crease....

gator

in the original auction, it was stated that the books were wrapped in newspaper and "rolled" up and put in a coffee can (I believe)

Was there an explanation offered for why someone would want to put comics in a can? hm

in the original auction, it was stated that the books were wrapped in newspaper and "rolled" up and put in a coffee can (I believe)

Was there an explanation offered for why someone would want to put comics in a can? hm

I vaguely recalled that she and her husband had stored them that way since the 50's ...another one of those stories of rediscovering them after they had long been forgotten...

rick

I vaguely recalled that she and her husband had stored them that way since the 50's ...another one of those stories of rediscovering them after they had long been forgotten...

rick

These really are nice books, wonder what they will end up going for. hm

The More fun appears to have lower spine damage, where the HT looks to be in pretty good overall condition. And since they have been stored in that shape for so many years, I doubt pressing alone would totally remove the bends.

But a good wet wash though and these books would look like like the day they were printed.

Ze-

rick

These really are nice books, wonder what they will end up going for. hm

The More fun appears to have lower spine damage, where the HT looks to be in pretty good overall condition. And since they have been stored in that shape for so many years, I doubt pressing alone would totally remove the bends.

But a good wet wash though and these books would look like like the day they were printed.

Ze-

I was going to bid on it and then just run it over repeatedly with my car (:

...but professional pressing is a WAY better idea!

Amazingly, very little color seems to be broken on the cover, and it has terrific gloss. It should press out to an extremely nice book.

Can it even be pressed out without it recoiling back to almost its present position? Might have to take it to the dry cleaner for a real hot and steamy press. Seriously is the paper too far gone to be able to lie flat again?

Amazingly, very little color seems to be broken on the cover, and it has terrific gloss. It should press out to an extremely nice book.

Can it even be pressed out without it recoiling back to almost its present position? Might have to take it to the dry cleaner for a real hot and steamy press. Seriously is the paper too far gone to be able to lie flat again?

Not at all, the paper looks to be in very good condition but to what results pressing alone would achieve is hard to say from just a photo. But the longer a comic has flaws like this, the harder they are sometimes to remove by pressing alone.

Personally, I would want to see the book disassembled, the cover and interior wraps wet washed, reassemble and pressed.

Then enjoy a totally flat, supple book with no fear of it reverting. To me the book would not be restored, but rather conserved.

Would everyone agree this type of work isn't resto? (I know I know.. as long as it is disclosed) But aside from that, does everyone view this type of work in the same light as tear seals,piece fill and CT?

Just curious

Ze-

Would everyone agree this type of work isn't resto?

:signfunny:

Yes, yes I knew this was the response I would get. :makepoint: To me the "since nothing was added" should come into play here on some level when talking about if it is a restored book, or not. Or if people really view conserved and restored as one and the same, do they at least find the former more desirable?

:tonofbricks:

Ze-

Reading material for Prince Albert!

or

That's where lots of people read their funnybooks!

Jack

in the original auction, it was stated that the books were wrapped in newspaper and "rolled" up and put in a coffee can (I believe)....so, likely not rolled so tight to really crease....

gator

That's one big coffee can. Very neat story though, I wonder if it smells like coffee, the Juan Balldess (sp?) collection?

Would everyone agree this type of work isn't resto?

:signfunny:

Yes, yes I knew this was the response I would get. :makepoint: To me the "since nothing was added" should come into play here on some level when talking about if it is a restored book or not. Or if people really view conserved and restored as one and the same, do they at least find the former more desirable?

Ze-

I would like to think that we're slowly evolving away from considering some forms of conversation to be resto, but I know that's by no means a universal point of view.