• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qualified or Crapified?

312 posts in this topic

Why do we need a special label and grade? Put on the label "Poor: 10 pages missing" (and for the acutely retarded: "AFFECTS STORY"). Why the special grade? Just for specs and grins? Why the special label color? Just a failed attempt to make an otherwise unsellable book more marketable? (Note: a "FAILED attempt")

That's pretty obvious, but there's another angle that keeps coming up. Before CGC, dealers paid big bucks for some comics that may not be up to CGC's new standards for whatever reason. So they get the Qualified grade as a side bonus.

It's similar to Overstreet allowing foxing/fungus growth on comics up to NM, as there are many Golden Age pedigrees that were paid $$$ for, and no one wants to hurt the dealers who want to resell them.

I'm glad to see you provide proof for us every time you get a wild hair up your arse.

First of all addressing the book.

Certainlly CGC is pushing the qualified envelope here. However there is some merit in slabbing the book. I'm sure there are collectors who now have the added comfort that the book is genuine.

As to the "qualified concept". It's a concept that goes back far before CGC and I find the process VERY valid. Personally I'd like to know the grade/condition of the book despite a major flaw. If I were buying say a Detective 27 and the centerfold was missing yet the book was in very high grade otherwise, I'd find the qualified grade VERY valuable information.

You also might want to ask someone who collects incomplete books and see how they feel about it.

And what's the point of your last paragraph? So what? We all know CGC is a business. People are SUPPOSED to have confidence in CGC grades and want to buy CGC books. That's sort of the whole point. Hello......is this microphone even on?

It's pretty obvious you are missing the following point:

INCOMPLETE, POS BOOKS WITH 10 PAGES MISSING SHOULD NOT EVEN BE IN CGC SLABS!!!

No....it's pretty obvious YOU'RE missing the point. YOU think that books missing 10 pages shouldn't be in slabs. YOU.......NOT EVERYONE........YOU. If you don't like it, then don't buy it. Some people might want a mid to high grade copy with missing pages for a number of reasons (parts for one).....and want to be sure to get one that's accurately graded with no restoration.

SO, INCOMPLETE BOOKS WITH 10 PAGES MISSING SHOULD BE IN CGC SLABS, WHETHER YOU THINK SO OR NOT!!!

Bug, if the book is missing TEN PAGES... if TEN PAGES are TORN or CUT OUT from the book, then it is in POOR condition. That IS the condition. "Poor." The rest of the book is virtually irrelevant as that is about as severe a defect as a book can have. Again, you all are missing the point: Comics are for READING.

A "Qualified" grade is absurd. Where does it stop? How does one decide what deserves to be "Qualified" and what doesn't? This copy of X-Men #1 that I have would be VF+ if some schmoe hadn't set his coffee mug on it and left a big brown ring on it... should that be "Qualified"?

Why do we need a special label and grade? Put on the label "Poor: 10 pages missing" (and for the acutely retarded: "AFFECTS STORY"). Why the special grade? Just for specs and grins? Why the special label color? Just a failed attempt to make an otherwise unsellable book more marketable? (Note: a "FAILED attempt")

And why does CGC care if a book sells after they grade it? Because if their graded books sell, then what are you going to do? HAVE MORE GRADED so YOU CAN SELL MORE! That's why they care, !

What remains of the book is in 6.0 condition. That's why the qualified label was created. I know you naysayers will scream until your lungs bleed that it's only about the bottom line.....but this book in this condition seems to be more desirable to many people than an equally graded 0.5 copy that has a split cover, mildew, brittleness, varnish and oil stains, AND pages missing. Defects which are ALL allowed "in quantity" in poor grade. I know which copy I'd prefer if given a choice.

It wouldn't make sense to put a "Poor" label on the book and then specify "10 pages missing". That still wouldn't tell about the condition of the rest of the book and provide vital information to people that are obviously interested in a nice copy of this book regardless of the missing pages. That would be providing LESS information......NOT more.

And what's the point of your last paragraph? So what? We all know CGC is a business. People are SUPPOSED to have confidence in CGC grades and want to buy CGC books. That's sort of the whole point. Hello......is this microphone even on?

Bug, if the "REST" of the book is in 6.0 condition (meaning THE COVER), then where do you draw the line? Why not give EVERY book a 10.0 grade with the "Qualified" label and then just note all the defects like spine stresses, folds, and rips? That would make things a LOT cleaner for specs and label-monkeys. Are YOU a label-monkey, Bug? 893scratchchin-thumb.giftongue.gif

Nobody said they're just grading the cover. They graded the book minus the 10 pages and put a qualified label on it with full disclosure. How is that deceiving anyone? I've already explained why someone might want a nice graded incomplete copy with a restoration check on it. Maybe they want a nice copy without spending a lot. Or maybe they want a nice unrestored incomplete copy to use for parts. They put a clearly different colored label on it with full disclosure about it. Why do you and Joe care about it so much if you would never buy it? You seem to know an awful lot about the motivations of people that would buy something like this when you would never consider it. The only ones that seem to be complaining about it are you whine-monkeys. Are YOU a whine-monkey, Khaos?

That's a foolish statement. "Poor" is "Poor". As it stands, it wouldn't even say that, it would only say "0.5". To call a "0.5" a "6.0" because the COVER is nice is misleading in the extreme.

Give the full disclosure for why it gets a "0.5"... but don't polish that turd and try to tell me that it's better than it actually is because it's "Qualified." Poor is Poor. Deal with it.

Who's trying to tell you it's better than it actually is? They gave it a Qualified lable (not Universal) and stated that 10 pages were missing. The cover and the rest of the book, including the complete Spider-Man story, are in 6.0 condition. That seems to offer FAR more information about the book than simply slapping it in a Universal label 0.5 holder, even if it did mention that 10 pages were missing. That would tell absolutely nothing about the condition of the incomplete book that is there. Why not tell what the apparent condition of the incomplete book is with a qualified label and full disclosure and let people decide for themselves?

Why not send in just a NM cover with just 2 pages to get back a 9.4 Qualified book with XX-pages missing. Where does it end?

The AF15 with 10-pages missing is a PR .5 IMO. For God's sakes this book is

MISSING 10-PAGES.

Good point......we haven't heard that arguement before. Try reading the last 50 pages of this thread for the reasons instead of me repeating them again. Also, be sure to answer FF's question about which PR 0.5 copy you and everyone else on the planet would rather have.

Hey Bug, you suddenly invest your paper route savings in CGC?

Nope.......but I'm wondering if you have all of your girl scout cookie funds tied up in CGG.

Wow, that made sense, since you're the one acting like a CGC Love Slave.

I tried, but visiting hours were over.

Maybe they'll come back and see you tomorrow.

Bug, if you need any help with the art of humor, please let me know and I'll set up some classes.

I'll give you a free lesson: Humor must be both topical and logical. Now go back re-read your tired attempts above, and I'll mark down the mistakes you made.

1) To have an "invest in CGC" joke work, you've gotta hit someone who's kissing some serious CGC butt. As in banner, FF, yourself and some others. Using Del, Odin or myself as the recipient of the joke is pretty sad.

2) If visiting hours are over, that usually means the people you are going to see are locked up. If someone is going to visit said people, and the "visiting hours are over", that naturally assumes this individual is free to go and visit them, not vice versa,

So hitting someone back with a joke like "Maybe they'll come back and see you tomorrow" makes no sense and means you obviously have no spatial abilities or simply didn't take the time to read the original comment.

Now read these points, study hard and maybe you too can actually make someone laugh. No guarantees, but you will be light years ahead of your current effort.

I tried, but visiting hours were over.

Maybe they'll come back and see you tomorrow.

Bug, if you need any help with the art of humor, please let me know and I'll set up some classes.

I'll give you a free lesson: Humor must be both topical and logical. Now go back re-read your tired attempts above, and I'll mark down the mistakes you made.

1) To have an "invest in CGC" joke work, you've gotta hit someone who's kissing some serious CGC butt. As in banner, FF, yourself and some others. Using Del, Odin or myself as the recipient of the joke is pretty sad.

2) If visiting hours are over, that usually means the people you are going to see are locked up. If someone is going to visit said people, and the "visiting hours are over", that naturally assumes this individual is free to go and visit them, not vice versa,

So hitting someone back with a joke like "Maybe they'll come back and see you tomorrow" makes no sense and means you obviously have no spatial abilities or simply didn't take the time to read the original comment.

Now read these points, study hard and maybe you too can actually make someone laugh. No guarantees, but you will be light years ahead of your current effort.

Let me explain a few things to you.

For someone to get a joke, first they must have a sense of humor (strike one for you).

Second, they must be able to comprehend even simple and easy to understand jokes (strike two for you).

And third, they shouldn't publicly admit that they didn't understand an obvious joke (strike three for you).

You see.....you said you couldn't talk to these people because visiting hours were over.

And I said that maybe these people will come back and see you tomorrow. You see, Joe......this joke implies that in both instances......YOU are the one that's locked up.

Although......it does lose some of it's humor when you have to explain it out to the simple minded like this. confused-smiley-013.gif

Nope.......but I'm wondering if you have all of your girl scout cookie funds tied up in CGG.

You did notice that I typed CGG didn't you?? Or did you fail to get another obvious joke?? 893naughty-thumb.gif

You see, Joe, this is the maddening thing about your posts: Someone makes a valid rebuttal to your opinion and you end up ascribing some wild, end-of-the-spectrum label onto them!

"I bought this $100 book at a yard sale for $4!"

"Taking lessons from Chuck?"

"Fleece the elderly for your day job?"

"Just how many houses have you swindled this week, Hitler?"

And my personal favorite:

"Gypsy! (Or tramp ... or thief ... or )"

"I agree with CGC's use of the Qualified label in this instance."

"CGC Love Slave!"

If you truly, wholeheartedly believe in this digital view of the world, then more power to you! Stick to your guns! But you've never given any rebuttal of substance when faced down by someone who doesn't share your beliefs. Spout some Randian Objectivism already! Put us immoral schlubs in our place!

Alan

You did notice that I typed CGG didn't you?? Or did you fail to get another obvious joke?? 893naughty-thumb.gif

Go easy man, it's hard being perfect. Just ask CI, he'll tell ya.