• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Lantern Collecting Thread.
5 5

1,506 posts in this topic

Skipping over issues #3 and #4 and published in the spring of 1961, the next book in my collection is Green Lantern #5 9.4. According to the CGC Census, this 9.4 is alone at the top and obviously difficult to find in high grade, as are most Silver Age DC comics from and before 1963. Much is significant about this book. To begin with, it has the first appearance of Hector Hammond, though he has yet to become wheelchair-bound and disfigured (occurs later in issue #22). Second, the villain is the first of Green Lantern's recurrent enemies to haunt him throughout the Silver, Bronze and Modern Ages. Interestingly, Sinestro, while appearing more times than Hammond in the early Silver Age issues, is not the first supervillain for Green Lantern.

The cover of this book is also a departure from each of the issues which came before it, including Showcase #22 - #24, as well as Green Lantern #1 - #4. While Hector Hammond may be main evil character, the cover of Green Lantern #5 is really the first to not show either a monster, villain or weapon -- but to rather ambiguously suggest the story within. Once you get past the cover, you also realize that in this issue, the writers have dispensed with the usual two or three separate stories, and instead decided to create one long story.

SPOILER: In an intricate plot, Hector Hammond, a criminal on the run, discovers a meteorite which has the ability to change the evolution of that which is exposed to it. He kidnaps four scientists and exposes them to the rock which heightens their intellects, as well as saps their will power. So that Hal Jordan can find the missing scientists, he asks his friend, "Pieface", to pose as the Green Lantern while he continues the search. The scientists in their weakened condition build a machine that is supposed to bring Green Lantern to them, but instead it yanks a duplicate power ring off of Pieface instead, both of which fall into the hands of Hammond. By now, Jordan has surmised that Hammond is the kidnapper and the two eventually have a power ring duel across Coast City which Jordan wins when the duplicate power ring loses its 24 hour charge.

Green Lantern #5 9.4 (First appearance of Hector Hammond)

GreenLantern594Wfrontcover.jpg

John,

I just re-examined my raw copies of GL 2-13. I must say I will need to upgrade about 60-70% of them. My #4 has more color touch than I had first thought. This book definitely has amatuer resto because it looks like someone used a magic marker to touch up numerous spots on the spine and Hal's right arm. I have not submitted this book because of the obvious resto.

71370018_258f17c913_o.jpg

My #7 came back graded 7.5 with minor color touch on the spine also.

444162871_23bc1832d3_b.jpg

My #4 has more color touch than I had first thought. This book definitely has amatuer resto because it looks like someone used a magic marker to touch up numerous spots on the spine and Hal's right arm. I have not submitted this book because of the obvious resto.

My #7 came back graded 7.5 with minor color touch on the spine also.

Bummer John. :(

Yet more evidence that the myth about non-HG books being safe from restoration is exactly that--a myth.

And next in the sequence of my collection is Green Lantern #6 9.0, a book whose highest grade in the Census thus far is a 9.2. It is significant for one major reason -- the introduction of the first non-Earth/Sector 2814 Green Lantern, Tomar-Re of the planet Xudar. Tomar-Re, who becomes a favorite of Green Lantern and GL Corps readers, is drawn beautifully by Gil Kane on the cover of issue #6. On this cover, Kane shows the non-Earth Lantern summoning Hal Jordan to help him defeat what is clearly a monstrous menace. In the story, Tomar-Re called for help because he was facing threats on more than one front. The actual illustrated introduction of the Green Lantern Corps does not come until Green Lantern #9 when Sinestro decides to exact revenge against the Corps.

Green Lantern #6 9.0 (First appearance of Tomar-Re)

GreenLanternv2690OW.jpg

My GRAIL book

In most people's collections, there are certain "must-have" books, and those that are "must-have must-have's", generally known as so-called "grail" books. When I was collecting Amazing Spider-Man, that book was Amazing Spider-Man #149 9.8, featuring the first appearance of Spider-Man's clone (that book is now in Worldsbestcomics' Spidey collection). I knew when I shifted into my all-time favorite superhero, Green Lantern, that the first appearance of Sinestro would be my "grail". Well, here is my grail book, Green Lantern #7 9.6. It turned out to be a extraordinarily difficult book to find. For a long time there was a single 9.6 atop the Census, followed by the next highest grade at 8.5, making it one of the most difficult early Silver Age books to find in grade. Over the past year or so, a duet of 9.2s and a single 9.0 have been added to the Census. Fortunately, I was lucky to be able to acquire that solo 9.6 -- my "grail" book. In fact, the grade of 9.6 is so rare in early Lantern books that between issues #1 and #15, there is only one 9.6 currently in the Census -- Green Lantern #7 9.6. Among the key books in the Silver Age of Green Lantern, I personally believe that #7 is the most important and has had the most influence on future storylines for both Green Lantern and the Corps.

If there was anything I looked forward to when I was a kid, it was waking up on Saturday morning to watch Green Lantern battle Sinestro on Challenge of the Superfriends (the series that introduced the Legion of Doom). Frankly, what disappointed me about Green Lantern #7 was the cover. While it is a well-drawn cover, as almost all Silver Age Lantern covers were, it did nothing to show the emergence of the villain who would become Hal Jordan's greatest nemesis. I have to believe that the writers knew that this particular villain had the potential to become one of Green Lantern's greatest foes, since Sinestro (an ex-Green Lantern) was in league with the Qwardians after being sent to Qward by the Guardians as punishment for abusing his power as a former Green Lantern. In issue #9, Sinestro and Green Lantern grace the cover together in the issue where Sinestro has crafted his infamous yellow power ring with the help of the Weaponers of Qward. To be honest, it isn't until issue #15 that I believe Sinestro was fully drawn to Gil Kane's artistic potential (but that cover will come within the next two weeks, so stay-tuned).

In the same issue, there is also a second story of where an intense dream of Hal Jordan's turns his friend, Pieface, into a bird at a very inopportune time when Pieface's girlfriend is to arrive.

Green Lantern #7 9.6 (Origin and first appearance of Sinestro)

GreenLanternv2796OWfrontcover.jpg

Edited by spunkydo

Someone suggested this board needed livening up, so here goes... (BTW, I only stopped posting my collection on the board because it became apparent to me that the thread wasn't being frequented enough.) :gossip:

My Silver Age Green Lantern collection is one of my life's passions and I am happy to share it with anyone who is interested, so let other people know that I will continue to post my books if people become engaged.

The first of two recent acquisitions for me is one that is hard to find in high grade and highly-desired by both Green Lantern and Flash collectors. I had a copy in 9.0 and knew that the solo 9.4 was in a collecting friend's permanent collection, so I was truly fortunate to add Green Lantern v2 #20 9.6 White from a late spring Heritage Live auction. IMHO, this outstanding Gil Kane cover with both GL and Flash is the first that faithfully represents both of the iconic DC superheroes (better than both Green Lantern #13 [Kane] and Flash #131 [infantino]). The green hues on the cover also make this one of the most recognizable of all of the early Silver Age GL books. I will post the second recent acquisition tomorrow (hint: it's got the first appearance of a vicious mutated fish.) Again, if there is enough interest, I will continue where I left off about six months ago with GL #7 9.6 and fill in #8 through #19. Enjoy!!! :cloud9:

Green Lantern v2 #20 9.6 W (Flash crossover)

GreenLanternv22096Wfrontcover.jpg

Edited by spunkydo

Someone suggested this board needed livening up, so here goes... (BTW, I only stopped posting my collection on the board because it became apparent to me that the thread wasn't being frequented enough.) :gossip:

My Silver Age Green Lantern collection is one of my life's passions and I am happy to share it with anyone who is interested, so let other people know that I will continue to post my books if people become engaged.

The first of two recent acquisitions for me is one that is hard to find in high grade and highly-desired by both Green Lantern and Flash collectors. I had a copy in 9.0 and knew that the solo 9.4 was in a collecting friend's permanent collection, so I was truly fortunate to add Green Lantern v2 #20 9.6 White from a late spring Heritage Live auction. IMHO, this outstanding Gil Kane cover with both GL and Flash is the first that faithfully represents both of the iconic DC superheroes (better than both Green Lantern #13 [Kane] and Flash #131 [infantino]). The green hues on the cover also make this one of the most recognizable of all of the early Silver Age GL books. I will post the second recent acquisition tomorrow (hint: it's got the first appearance of a vicious intergalactic fish. lol.) Again, if there is enough interest, I will continue where I left off about six months ago with GL #7 9.6 and fill in #8 through #19. Enjoy!!! :cloud9:

Gorgeous copy. I wish I could still contribute to this thread, but someone bought all of my GLs, except for one. ;)

The first of two recent acquisitions for me is one that is hard to find in high grade and highly-desired by both Green Lantern and Flash collectors. I had a copy in 9.0 and knew that the solo 9.4 was in a collecting friend's permanent collection, so I was truly fortunate to add Green Lantern v2 #20 9.6 White from a late spring Heritage Live auction. IMHO, this outstanding Gil Kane cover with both GL and Flash is the first that faithfully represents both of the iconic DC superheroes (better than both Green Lantern #13 [Kane] and Flash #131 [infantino]). The green hues on the cover also make this one of the most recognizable of all of the early Silver Age GL books. I will post the second recent acquisition tomorrow (hint: it's got the first appearance of a vicious intergalactic fish. lol.) Again, if there is enough interest, I will continue where I left off about six months ago with GL #7 9.6 and fill in #8 through #19. Enjoy!!! :cloud9:

Gorgeous copy. I wish I could still contribute to this thread, but someone bought all of my GLs, except for one. ;)

and that one remaining is a real stinker that should be kicked to the curb. i'll PM the address on the curb in front of my house.

and that one remaining is a real stinker that should be kicked to the curb. i'll PM the address on the curb in front of my house.

Let me know when he kicks it to your curb. I want to be able to help with the proper disposal of such a large piece of refuse :thumbsup: