• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Lantern Collecting Thread.
6 6

1,511 posts in this topic

Well, it seems like there still is some life in this thread. It's great to hear from and see posts from friends and those I haven't had the opportunity to actually have any real interaction with. :hi::hi:

As promised, I'm posting the second of my most recent acquisitions, Green Lantern v2 #24 9.6 Off-White to White (OWW) from the Pacific Coast collection. I have been eyeing this book for at least two years (ever since I discovered the Pacific Coast collection), but had to keep pushing it back on the priority list because of other opportunities that came up. Nevertheless, this is one of my favorite early Kane covers (similar to Green Lantern #57, where Hal Jordan is standing between the hand of Major Disaster and the Earth). Further, having a black cover and being an early SA comic, it is a very difficult book to find in the highest of grades, as evidenced by this being the solo 9.6 with no 9.4s in the Census.

The significance of this book is, of course, in that it introduced Shark into the Green Lantern narrative. Shark won't appear on a cover until GL #28, but he is one of the GL villains that has remained prominent from the Silver Age to the most recent storylines, like Sinestro, Hector Hammond, Black Hand, Star Sapphire and a few others. Of course, the current Geoff Johns & Ethan Van Sciver Shark looks much different than the original, as you can see below from the cover of Green Lantern v4 #5). Shark started as a tiger shark that was mutated by nuclear waste, a frequent origin story in Silver Age comics, as the atomic bomb had exploded onto the historical stage. His powers included telepathy, telekinesis, energy bolts, and the ability to cause fear in others. In GL #24, it was the last of these gifts that he tried to use against Hal Jordan (DC's "man without fear") and though he discovered Jordan's weakness to the color yellow through his telepathy, he was still unable to defeat the stalwart hero.

Since there is life again, for the moment, in my favorite thread, I will continue to post my collection in order, starting where I left off, which means the next book will be Green Lantern v2 #8, a favorite among collectors (both GL and other).

Green Lantern v2 #24 9.6 OWW Pacific Coast pedigree (Origin and first appearance of Shark)

GreenLanternv22496OWWPacificCoastfr.jpg165px-SharkDCComics.gifb163_1.jpg

With a special thanks to tth2 for allowing me to add this important book to my collection, this next post is for my collecting buddy Mercede, who has some of the most beautiful key DC issues in his own collection. The book is Green Lantern v2 #8 9.4 Off-White (OW), topping out the Census on its own. Difficult to find in high grade and highly desired by collectors of all stripes, as well as Green Lantern aficionados, Gil Kane's amazing 50's-style monster cover uses the "grey tone" technique, also known as the "painted cover" because pencil or charcoal underlying the original pencilled image is used to enhance the effects of light and shadow to produce a more aesthetic quality. The cover has a noticeably richer depth with its richer hues. This book is also notable for having the first 5700 A.D. storyline, where humans from the future transport Hal Jordan to help them. His memory is modified so that me may take on the role as Solar Director of that time and save humanity from a race of ray-blasting mutant gila monsters.

On an aside, if any of you wonder why I always use the designation "v2" in my book titles, it is to distinguish these books from the Golden Age Green Lantern (Alan Scott) series. :gossip:

Green Lantern v2 #8 9.4 OW (First 5700 A.D. story. Grey tone cover.)

GreenLanternv2894OWfrontcover.jpg

Spunky,

Oh to make a fellow collector envious of your books. Seeing that GL # 8 just helps to remind me how badly I need to add a high grade copy to my collection. What a great way to keep a thread going ! That copy of #20 looks absolutely great also, any hardcore DC Silver Age collector knows the best combination is always Flash and GL :) .

Great Showcase 24 also :D

Jumping to the next book in my collection is Green Lantern v2 #11 9.4 Off-White to White (OWW). To be honest, I've never really cared too much for this early Silver Age GL cover, though it was the first to show off the amazing diversity of the Green Lantern Corps. The other significance of this issue is that it includes the third story dealing with the renegade Green Lantern, Sinestro. Hal Jordan is exiled to the anti-matter universe of Qward where he falls into his nemesis' hands. That's three appearances in five issues for the "Yellow Lantern", with another two to come in GL #15 and #18.

All I can say is "kudos" to the writers and artists that realized what an amazing arch-villain they had with Sinestro. Battles between Jordan and Sinestro are what got me hooked on Green Lantern and why Green Lantern #7 9.6 is my "grail book", where the evil one makes his first appearance. Not to mention, the recent Sinestro Corps War was a stroke of genius among the writers of DC Comics. I know that I was hooked after the first page.

Green Lantern v2 #11 9.4 OWW (Sinestro appearance)

GreenLanternv21194OWWfrontcover.jpg

Before I continue to discuss and show the books in my collection, I just had to post the upcoming cover of Green Lantern v5 #36. It doesn't actually come out until December 10, but I think this is just an awesome cover, in the true sense of the word. It continues the lead off to the upcoming "Blackest Night" storyline and the tie-in to Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns. It shows a ferocious, dominating, and beautifully illustrated Atrocitus, with an intense and powerful Hal Jordan rising in front of him. Just amazing!

10373_400x600.jpg

With a special thanks to tth2 for allowing me to add this important book to my collection, this next post is for my collecting buddy Mercede, who has some of the most beautiful key DC issues in his own collection. The book is Green Lantern v2 #8 9.4 Off-White (OW), topping out the Census on its own. Difficult to find in high grade and highly desired by collectors of all stripes, as well as Green Lantern aficionados, Gil Kane's amazing 50's-style monster cover uses the "grey tone" technique, also known as the "painted cover" because pencil or charcoal underlying the original pencilled image is used to enhance the effects of light and shadow to produce a more aesthetic quality. The cover has a noticeably richer depth with its richer hues. This book is also notable for having the first 5700 A.D. storyline, where humans from the future transport Hal Jordan to help them. His memory is modified so that me may take on the role as Solar Director of that time and save humanity from a race of ray-blasting mutant gila monsters.

On an aside, if any of you wonder why I always use the designation "v2" in my book titles, it is to distinguish these books from the Golden Age Green Lantern (Alan Scott) series. :gossip:

Green Lantern v2 #8 9.4 OW (First 5700 A.D. story. Grey tone cover.)

GreenLanternv2894OWfrontcover.jpg

I love those grey tone covers, and what a nice example...great book!

Hey Guys,

If I want to BEGIN (yes I've done 0/zip/zilch/nada reading of Green Lantern, where should I being?? Is there a specific "essential" book perhaps to start reading this story?? Please PM if at all possible, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks and happy new years! Beautiful books by the way!!

Nick