• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Lantern Collecting Thread.
5 5

1,506 posts in this topic

I wasnt planning on it lol

But it came down to where we needed the money for family related things and they needed to go to help pay for other things.

Ill not work on GL again for a while, if ever though. At least not slabbed copies.

They'll do better than those SA Actions that didn't do diddlely squat. I could have cleaned up on those if I was collecting Superman books...

Your GL 76 looks strong BTW...

The books are looking good right now.

Im not complaining either on the 76 :whatthe:

Yeah, needless to say im stoked on the 76 price :luhv:

Some of them went for lower than I thought, but i aint complaining :naughty: as there were about 5 books that made up for the difference.

Thanks for picking up the ones you did :applause:

That Green Lantern #45 is one of the most collected books in the Silver Age Green Lantern series, but interestingly, not a single 9.8 or even 9.6 have been "discovered". I've always been very intrigued by the absence of higher grades, especially since there isn't anything unusual or obvious about the cover that might lend itself to being difficult to find in higher grades. Needless to say, I'm still waiting for a copy that fits into my collection. :cry:

I love the colors on that Green Lantern #39. They're so conflicted. Just another example of Gil Kane et al's brilliant cover art throughout the Silver Age on both GL and other titles. I'm still looking for a 9.4 or 9.8 to add to my collection (no 9.6s in the Census yet), so if you ever hear of anything... :gossip:

Congrats on the new pickups.

Edited by spunkydo

I figured I would share my Silver Age Green Lantern collection by posting a book every day or so, including descriptions of the story(ies) and significance(s) of each issue, and see how it is received by Green Lantern collectors and others who are interested. I would love to hear what others think about the book, its contents and why, in particular, they might like it. Enjoy...

Edited by spunkydo

Here is the first, Showcase #24 8.5. It was published in January/February 1960 and features the third appearance of the Silver Age incarnation of Green Lantern in the Showcase title. It is a very difficult book to find in high grade, as evidenced as this 8.5 being the second highest grade. It includes two stories, the second of which is illustrated on the cover. In the first story, Green Lantern traces a spy ring to a museum after top secret plans are lifted from Hal Jordan's pocket. The second story is the better story and is also more significant. In it, Green Lantern battles a monster made of cosmic rays and discovers that even his ring seems useless against the yellow beams from the monster's eyes, reinforcing the notion that Green Lantern's ring is not effective against the color yellow. The cover of this book falls into one of my favorite types of early Silver Age covers which had 50's-style, nuclear-era giant monsters, similar to Green Lantern #8 and #34.

Showcase #24 8.5 (Third Silver Age appearance of Green Lantern)

Showcase2485COW.jpg

Edited by spunkydo

The next book in my collection is Green Lantern #2 9.4 from what is often casually forgotten to be the second Green Lantern series, with the first being the Alan Scott era of the 40s and the Golden Age (For my own purposes, I label this book, Green Lantern v2 #2 9.4 since it is more accurate). Obviously difficult to find in high grade, there is a single other 9.4 that sits alongside this one in the Census, with one of the highest number of submissions for a Silver Age Green Lantern. Every Gil Kane cover is in some ways another Kane masterpiece -- he was easily, IMHO, the greatest cover artist in comics, creating some of the most memorable covers for DC Comics in its Silver Age. His palette is always wonderfully rich with some of the most improbable colors and interesting hues.

Besides being the second appearance of Silver Age Green Lantern in his own title, this book is also significant for the start of a three-part story arc that continues over the following two books, GL #3 and #4. In these issues we learn about the parallel anti-matter universe of Qward, which also happens to be yellow in color and the ultimate origin or Sinestro's yellow power ring. We also learn about the evil inhabitants of that universe, the Weaponers of Qward.

In the first of two stories, Green Lantern learns about the existence of Qward from an escapee and about its inhabitants' intentions to invade the Earth-One universe. The second story also holds great significance since it includes the first appearance of Thomas "Pieface" Kalmaku. In it, Hal Jordan finds out that his mechanic, Pieface, is returning to his native Alaska, and Green Lantern thwarts the efforts of a gang of crooks in finding a gold mine.

Any thoughts from onlookers?

Green Lantern #2 9.4 (1st Qward anti-matter universe. 1st Weaponers of Qward. 1st "Pieface".)

GreenLanternv2294OWWfrontcover.jpg

Edited by spunkydo