• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Lantern Collecting Thread.
6 6

1,514 posts in this topic

Gil Kane DC`s Jack Kirby?

He was probably the best guy at DC for depicting fisticuffs. Both he and Jack knew how to draw a punch that would hurt.

but I'm not so rhapsodic about the composition like the aman (sorry, bro).

NOBODY in history has been as rhapsodic about the composition as aman! lol

This was the first time I've read his comment. Is he a repeat rhapsodizer?

No, I was just talking about his rhapsody on #8.

Then that's not as bad. Still was a bit over the top.

"a bit"? lol

"a bit"? lol

I cut some slack for anyone who rhapsodizes over my books. :shy:

"a bit"? lol

He was rhapsodizing over MY ex-book. :gossip:

"a bit"? lol

He was rhapsodizing over MY ex-book. :gossip:

But he's rhapsodized over many of my books! :luhv:

I like the series from the start up through the Neal Adams/Denny O'Neil issues with the proviso that it's weak from about issue 60 - 75. I particularly like Kane's art from about issue 40 to issue 58. Kane was always working on his drawing and he really developed into a very special artist during that sequence. DC Archives are the best way to read.

Certainly with respect to cover artwork I'd disagree here. I much prefer the cover art from about issue 11 to 39 where Murphy Anderson(?) inked Gil Kane's pencils to some of the later covers where it appears to me that Gil Kane inked his own pencils.

Green Lantern #11 is a very high nostalgia book for me because it was the first Green Lantern comic I ever read. That and JLA #14 with the Atom joining the Justice League were the two comics which hooked me on the DC superhero universe for life.

Thanks for the interesting commentary! It's always cool when people are able to say that they started buying these issues back in the single-digits or teens, and these older issues have particular personal significance to them.

I don't think I deserve the compliment since half of what I said was actually an outright lie. It was actually JLA #8, "Justice League for Sale", that was the first JLA issue I ever read and which together with GL #11 left what turned out to be a lifelong impression upon me. JLA #14 was the first JLA issue I ever bought as a kid.

Nonetheless, I'll get out my camera and see if I can post some random bits of my comic collection, including some old Green Lantern, JLA, Flash, Aquaman, Atom, Hawkman, Wonder Woman, Tales of the Unexpected, Fly, Black Cat, funny animal, Drag Cartoons, etc.

I already posted pictures of my comic/magazine and model cabinets in the "Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!" thread about eighteen months ago:

My Comic Cabinet

My Model Cabinet

Then there's my bubble gum cards, hockey, CFL, baseball, non-sport, etc.- my milk and pop bottle collections, and small collection of other assorted board games, Kenner Presto Sparkle Paint Sets, Hasbro Marble Mazes....

Edited by Hepcat

With a special thanks to tth2 for allowing me to add this important book to my collection, this next post is for my collecting buddy Mercede, who has some of the most beautiful key DC issues in his own collection. The book is Green Lantern v2 #8 9.4 Off-White (OW), topping out the Census on its own. Difficult to find in high grade and highly desired by collectors of all stripes, as well as Green Lantern aficionados, Gil Kane's amazing 50's-style monster cover uses the "grey tone" technique, also known as the "painted cover" because pencil or charcoal underlying the original pencilled image is used to enhance the effects of light and shadow to produce a more aesthetic quality. The cover has a noticeably richer depth with its richer hues. This book is also notable for having the first 5700 A.D. storyline, where humans from the future transport Hal Jordan to help them. His memory is modified so that me may take on the role as Solar Director of that time and save humanity from a race of ray-blasting mutant gila monsters.

Green Lantern v2 #8 9.4 OW (First 5700 A.D. story. Grey tone cover.)

GreenLanternv2894OWfrontcover.jpg

Mine may be a minority opinion but I really hate that cover. I think it's Gil Kane's worst Green Lantern cover. Green Lantern looks all wrong. I dislike it so much that it was my lowest priority among early Lantern issues but three or so years ago I bought a copy anyway when I ran across a particularly pristine copy.

I love that cover!! GLs have the most desirable and eye catching covers of 'em all !!

GK...we knight thee !!!!