• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Lantern Collecting Thread.
5 5

1,504 posts in this topic

GreenLantern4-1.jpg

One of my favorite covers of the Silver Age. Bought this book in the 1980s, read it a few times carefully, then had it slabbed a couple/few years ago, I think.

SLR

great cover, my favorite cover by far from the first year of Green Lantern.

However, I believe that CGC designates page quality separately for a reason. If any mods would like to clarify, then I would appreciate it greatly.

It's not the mods you want. The ones on this board aren't privy to the internal workings of CGC. They're actually professional mods. They just about never participate in any board discussions. Quite simply they're not interested in the subject matter of this board.

I appreciate your eagerness to discuss why my book is crappier than the grade on the label suggests. Thank you, sir.

Putting a number on a comic makes it fair game for second guessing. Please don't interpret such as akin to a personal attack..If you're pleased with a comic, then nothing a third party says matters anyway.

And for the sake of balance you might check out this post, as well as a number of others:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1776139&fpart=187

My policy is to buy the comic, not the label anyway.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

RAD4A6462013715_03030.jpg

That cover doesn't look white and bright enough to be a 9.8 to me. Is that just a function of your photography or is CGC so focused on technical nicks and such that considerations such as whiteness/brightness are ignored by its graders?

???

Looks pretty dang nice to me!! (thumbs u

I'll throw a few of my lowly mid-grade copies into the ring!! I was a Marvel zombie exclusively when I got back into comics but have since expanded into the DC realm a bit, and GL is one of my favorites.

IMG_0001_zps5b7ff93b.jpg

The JL cartoons have endeared me to John Stewart.

IMG_0004_zps374d62f8.jpg

Love this cover. I like the cover to 41 too even if the composition's basically identical.

IMG_0001_zps4b6c2be8.jpg

And Sinestro, my favorite GL villain.

...GL is one of my favorites.

IMG_0001_zps5b7ff93b.jpg

The JL cartoons have endeared me to John Stewart.

IMG_0001_zps4b6c2be8.jpg

And Sinestro, my favorite GL villain.

I have Hal Jordan edging out Alan Scott, Arisia, Ch'p and Katma Tui in my own personal Green Lantern popularity sweepstakes.

Here's a poll I did on the subject:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=5690225&Searchpage=1&Main=258552&Words=Arisia+Hepcat&topic=0&Search=true#Post5690225

;)

Edited by Hepcat

IMG_0004_zps374d62f8.jpg

Love this cover.

The basic composition of the cover in conjunction with Star Sapphire's pink costume and pose make the cover a real treat for the eyes.

I like the cover to 41 too even if the composition's basically identical.

Here's a thread for posting and discussing precisely covers of that sort:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6669258&fpart=1

;)

Edited by Hepcat

IMG_0004_zps374d62f8.jpg

Love this cover.

The basic composition of the cover in conjunction with Star Sapphire's pink costume and pose make the cover a real treat for the eyes.

Indeed - the two colorful characters coupled with the simple grey buildings background provides quite an appealing contrast.

I bought this book recently, and just read it today.

GL_17_zps518cde8b.jpg

That's a beautifu copy of GL 17, Dale! I'd like to read that book someday. That cover must've translated into strong sales back in the day. I just love the first 25 or so issues of Green Lantern. I haven't bought any books lately but maybe I'll take in Terry's show in the OC and maybe I'll run into some luck and find that book.

Here's an interesting question. Would that cover have drawn you to buy the comic in 1962?

???

Hard to say. I squandered too much of my money as a kid on those 25 cent rubber band powered balsa airplanes that cost a quarter. :cry:

I bought this book recently, and just read it today.

GL_17_zps518cde8b.jpg

That's a beautifu copy of GL 17, Dale! I'd like to read that book someday. That cover must've translated into strong sales back in the day. I just love the first 25 or so issues of Green Lantern. I haven't bought any books lately but maybe I'll take in Terry's show in the OC and maybe I'll run into some luck and find that book.

Thanks Steve, since revisiting this thread and seeing your copy of #4, I am keeping an eye out for one. :headbang:

Edited by frozentundraguy

That's a beautifu copy of GL 17.... That cover must've translated into strong sales back in the day.

I never encountered that cover as a kid, but I don't think the cover would have compelled me to buy it. While it portrays a situation, it has neither action nor colour.

I just love the first 25 or so issues of Green Lantern.

So do I! It was the period that drew me into comic books and Green Lantern was my single favourite hero. When it came to the covers specifically though, I'd argue that Gil Kane really didn't hit his stride until about issue #16 or so and his best cover art was in the issue #16-40 period.

(shrug)

Im always drawn to that cover, one of my favorite early covers along with #8... GL was not blessed with great covers during the first few years, but #4 is one of the few sharp ones!

Bought this a while back but only just got round to taking a snap....

tumblr_n7vhuoyHBM1rjed0zo1_500.jpg

Im always drawn to that cover, one of my favorite early covers along with #8... GL was not blessed with great covers during the first few years, but #4 is one of the few sharp ones!

Same here - the cover to GL 4 has a classic 'feel' to it.

I think the early GL covers are rather cool, I especially like the 2 and 8 as well...

Yeah, I like 8, too. Picked this one up a few months ago:

GreenLantern008_zps6b9eb17b.jpg