• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Lantern Collecting Thread.
5 5

1,505 posts in this topic

$49.5k for the 9.4 and $28k for the 9.2- pretty strong.

$49.5K for the 9.4 isn't so bad, but $28K for the 9.2, not so much (unless there are hopes of upgrading it to a 9.4).

Both are down from peak prices in their respective grades.

$49.5K for the 9.4 isn't so bad, but $28K for the 9.2, not so much (unless there are hopes of upgrading it to a 9.4).

Considering the 9.4 was a 9.2 that sold at Heritage the owner did pretty well. Sure didn't think the 9.2 would sell for that kind of money. I figured 22K tops, oh well.

Ok so Im new to the HG market, and Ive started a little GL collection... The CLink auction was very interesting though confusing...

Of 66 Silver age Green Lantern books (the pre-Denny/Neal era) there were:

27 that sold for 20%+ under my GPA estimates (inflating for pedigree or adjusting for market changes since last sale).

25 that sold for significantly over my GPA estimates (by 50% or more)

16 sold for around what I estimated they would based on GPA and other factors.

So I am either under, over or accurately estimating these books... and it looks like pretty evenly divided.

So I looked deeper.

Common traits of my underestimates:

21 of 25 were pedigree or collection copies

23 of 25 were ranked either 1 (12 of them) or 2 (11 of them) in the census

9 of 25 had already exceeded estimates before the last day of bidding

Grade range was 4@9.8, 12@9.6, 5@9.4, 1@9.2

average price for over-performers $1452

So how do these traits stand up to the comics that came in under my estimate:

Common traits on my overestimates/under performers:

10 of 25 were pedigree or collection copies

12 of 25 were ranked either 1 (3 of them) or 2 (9 of them)

7 of 25 books were at bids less than 50% of estimates 24 hrs before close.

Grade range was 3@9.8, 6@9.6, 8@9.4, 1@9.2, 3@9.0, a 3.5 and a 3.0

average price for under-performers $1122

So at the end of the day I need to up my estimates for pedigree books, and #1 or #2 ranked census books regardless of price.

though good deals could be found with the occasional pedigree and high census book:

Best deals (to me) from last night:

GL #11 for less than half estimate. #1 census. Same book sold for $5k 2 years ago, and not even $2500 this time. Ouch!

Both GL #4s sold for ~60% of estimate.

GL#40 top census bought for $6200 two years ago, sold for 25% less than the original price.

GL#59s (first Guy) also showed a slight drop off with both copies.

Biggest risers:

GL#1 in 9.2 rose more than 60% vs last 9.2 sale despite not being pedigreed.

#28,29,32,33,35,,36,& 37 all in a row showed sharp increases ranging from 60% to 300%.

Finally #57 and 64 both showed 300%+ increases vs my GPA estimates based on last sales.

fun night... wish one of them had ended up in my hands, but theres always December..

I find this to be true for just about any book hat come to market after a windfall. When I was collecting OA, I sold an Adam Hughes WW sketch on EBay for like $900. Them here were a few listed afterwards almost immediately that went for almost half. My sketch wasn't better, just first in some time frame.

Whenever a book or piece of art sells the "first time" , it usually goes for a premium. The problem is too many collectors get greedy and try to sell too quickly and the last sale is still fresh in collectors minds.

Then you add in all the variables like who was bidding, who would have bid but timing wasn't good, the abundance of incredible material being offered by Heritagre, CL , Comic Connect and Pedigree all this month. Throw the pending holidays and I think it's actually an incredible feat that the market can support this amount of high end material at the amounts realized.

Yes, Gil's art seemed completely over-the-top by this point in comparison with his work up to say Green Lantern 40. I'm not sure whether the change was due to him inking his own work or it was just the case of his style becoming more pronounced/exaggerated over the years. I'll just say that I much prefer the Green Lantern covers from #11 to #40 to these later ones. I like the DC house style that was imparted to those earlier covers by inkers such as Murphy Anderson.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

Wow, prices on early GLs have dropped a lot since the movie. I totally forgot to up my placeholder bid on the 6.0 copy of #7 that sold for $286.80 with the juice on Heritage last night.

there was a HA auction that closed last night? thought it was just the weekly sunday night auction this weekk...

Wow, prices on early GLs have dropped a lot since the movie. I totally forgot to up my placeholder bid on the 6.0 copy of #7 that sold for $286.80 with the juice on Heritage last night.

there was a HA auction that closed last night? thought it was just the weekly sunday night auction this weekk...

It was the weekly Sunday Night auction. They had some nice mid grade early GLs this week.