• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Lantern Collecting Thread.
5 5

1,506 posts in this topic

First time I found this thread. Green Lantern doesn't get nearly as much love on these boards as it/they/he should.

I completely agree with you.

This is my first GL, obtained at a reasonable price from my local shop due to some water staining on the back cover. Nice, off-white pages.

What a fascinating issue; intro Pieface and an interesting letters page (actually commenting on Showcase) too. Kane and Broome make for a great team.

I have the DC Archives reprint book (which I have enjoyed), but nothing compares to the 'feel' of having the real deal in hand.

5930cb4d-f9ad-4606-82d2-1292ac92c4c6_zps638e7de9.jpg

In Praise of Green Lantern #16 (October, 1962)

I picked up a copy of GL 16 this week - it's an issue I've wanted for a while now due to the terrific cover and also the origin/1st appearance of the SA Star Sapphire.

303d770b-b3c3-4650-8e7b-6fda572c9ab9_zpsde255eaa.jpg

But this issue offers even more - from a letter to the editor:

I was under the impression that anyone in possession of a power ring could "will" himself through space faster than any spaceship. If this is so, why was Abin Sur traveling through space in a rocket ship? Try and answer this if you can! ! !

David Jason

Los Angeles, CA

The editors respond by giving us the answer in the "Earth's First Green Lantern" 10-page story. It's a rather fanciful sci-fi tale, retold by the power ring itself, and includes a brief origin of GL (not mentioned in Overstreet).

The artwork and inking in this issue is simply excellent.

This is why I enjoy handling and reading old comics so much; cover-to-cover, GL 16 is an outstanding book.

In Praise of Green Lantern #16 (October, 1962)

I picked up a copy of GL 16 this week - it's an issue I've wanted for a while now due to the terrific cover and also the origin/1st appearance of the SA Star Sapphire.

303d770b-b3c3-4650-8e7b-6fda572c9ab9_zpsde255eaa.jpg

But this issue offers even more - from a letter to the editor:

I was under the impression that anyone in possession of a power ring could "will" himself through space faster than any spaceship. If this is so, why was Abin Sur traveling through space in a rocket ship? Try and answer this if you can! ! !

David Jason

Los Angeles, CA

The editors respond by giving us the answer in the "Earth's First Green Lantern" 10-page story. It's a rather fanciful sci-fi tale, retold by the power ring itself, and includes a brief origin of GL (not mentioned in Overstreet).

The artwork and inking in this issue is simply excellent.

This is why I enjoy handling and reading old comics so much; cover-to-cover, GL 16 is an outstanding book.

Great book, Steve. Indeed, one of the classics of the Silver Age. Congrats on finding a nice copy!

SLR

Nice comic!

I bought a generally nice copy of that issue back in the eighties but I got rid of it ten years ago because the really broad ugly white stripe it had on the left edge grew to bother me so much.

(shrug)

RAD4A6462013715_03030.jpg

That cover doesn't look white and bright enough to be a 9.8 to me. Is that just a function of your photography or is CGC so focused on technical nicks and such that considerations such as whiteness/brightness are ignored by its graders?

???

Edited by Hepcat

Hmm. My understanding is that page quality isn't a major consideration in determining grade. Right? The cover is brighter than it appears in the image, though. I should try to get a better one. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hmm. My understanding is that page quality isn't a major consideration in determining grade. Right?

Well logically you would think that whatever factors cause a comic to deviate from like new right-off-the-press condition should absolutely be a consideration, but I'm the wrong person to ask if you want an explanation of the machinations of CGC.

(shrug)

I appreciate your eagerness to discuss why my book is crappier than the grade on the label suggests. Thank you, sir. However, I believe that CGC designates page quality separately for a reason. If any mods would like to clarify, then I would appreciate it greatly.