• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

which one would you choose, and why ???

937 posts in this topic

Which would you choose?

4253_4_0001.jpg4611_4_0001.jpg

Is that a trick question? Everyone knows one is worthless and the other is a $100 book.

Tough question.

Don't think I can decide between them so....................I'll take BOTH

Steve;

Afraid I am going to have to pull a Bedrock here as I just can't decide which of the two I like less...........................as a result, I'll take NEITHER! lol

Afraid I am going to have to pull a Bedrock here as I just can't decide which of the two I like less...........................as a result, I'll take NEITHER! lol

oh yeah, well would you take NEITHER on this one??

Both sold for $10,700 within the past 12 - 18 months. Which one would you choose, and why ???

AF15 for me... I don't do restored

44976-mf52.jpg.261179666713acd68b8f449fa383fa93.jpg

44977-af15.jpg.a7cd32f3cb02b2d5e0e2e0916e1f4c3f.jpg

I wouldn't pay $60k for either of these books, but between the two I'd take the Cap 1. I've never had much interest in B&B28. As of right this minute the B&B28 would probably be the best investment of the two. But all that would change if 1 or 2 9.6s ever showed up on the census in my opinion.

Most likely.

Tim;

I would also have to agree with the point being made here. (thumbs u

Although I am not a big fan of the CAP 1 book since it is far too common, my initial leaning was towards your copy of BB 28. After giving it some more thought, however, it really depends on what you are going to be doing with either of the books.

The BB28 is probably better from an investment point of view if you are planning to flip it in the near future since it is the highest graded copy of a really HTF book in grade. On the other hand, if you are planning to keep a book in your collection for the long term, it would have to be the CAP 1.

The BB 28 just carries too much risk as the intrinsic value is really in the CGC label as opposed to the actual book itself. The value in the CAP 1, however, is really more in the book itself and really has much less to do with the label.

For the long-term collector, it's really better to place your bets on a book as opposed to a CGC label. hm

Both sold for $10,700 within the past 12 - 18 months. Which one would you choose, and why ???

Yes, I would also take the AF 15 here as it's unrestored and also just too important of a book going forward relative to a restored MF 52! (thumbs u

Af 15 for me too.

Even though the person who purchased the AF 15 overpaid by a couple of thousand, I will choose AF 15. The MF is restored and the first appearance of a now medicore character

I was wondering when someone would mention that about the Spectre. Starman was a much more appealing character.

Even though the person who purchased the AF 15 overpaid by a couple of thousand, I will choose AF 15. The MF is restored and the first appearance of a now medicore character

Have owned a few AF 15's of similar quality so would take the harder to find MF 52.

Have owned a few AF 15's of similar quality so would take the harder to find MF 52.

(thumbs u

I would have to take the AF 15 in this case.Always have had a soft spot in my head,err heart for that book.

The BB 28 just carries too much risk as the intrinsic value is really in the CGC label as opposed to the actual book itself. The value in the CAP 1, however, is really more in the book itself and really has much less to do with the label.

For the long-term collector, it's really better to place your bets on a book as opposed to a CGC label. hm

Dean, I'm actually pretty hurt by your comments. You seem to be implying that I can't tell whether a book is nice or not without CGC to tell me. That B&B 28 is by far the nicest copy I have ever seen in almost 30 years of collecting, and I didn't need CGC to tell me that. I paid through the nose for it because I had no confidence that I would ever be able to get an equally nice copy if I passed on it. Equal or higher grade copies may appear in the future, and if so, c'est la vie. But as a long-term collector, I'll be happy to continue to own the B&B 28, thanks very much.

Dean, I'm actually pretty hurt by your comments. You seem to be implying that I can't tell whether a book is nice or not without CGC to tell me. That B&B 28 is by far the nicest copy I have ever seen in almost 30 years of collecting, and I didn't need CGC to tell me that. I paid through the nose for it because I had no confidence that I would ever be able to get an equally nice copy if I passed on it. Equal or higher grade copies may appear in the future, and if so, c'est la vie. But as a long-term collector, I'll be happy to continue to own the B&B 28, thanks very much.

Tim:

I believe you are misinterpreting what I am saying in my post.

What I am trying to say is that the 9.4 copy of BB 28 is valued so highly on the basis that it is the highest graded copy out there in existence. If another 9.4 copy or a 9.6 copy should ever show up in the marketplace, this would have a negative impact on the value of the current 9.4 BB 28. I believe you was also agreeing with another poster's similar comment should another copy ever show up.

The CAP 1 in 8.0 is a entirely differenct case since the unearthing of another copy in 8.0 or one in even higher condition will probably not have such as drastic effect on the price of the current 8.0 copy.

That was all I was implying when I stated that the value of the BB 28 is subject to some risk since the value is linked more closely to the CGC grade as in comparison to the CAP 1 which probably stands a better chance to retain its value even if more copies are found.

My comments had nothing at all to do with your grading skills at all. :foryou:

Tim:

I believe you are misinterpreting what I am saying in my post.

What I am trying to say is that the 9.4 copy of BB 28 is valued so highly on the basis that it is the highest graded copy out there in existence. If another 9.4 copy or a 9.6 copy should ever show up in the marketplace, this would have a negative impact on the value of the current 9.4 BB 28. I believe you was also agreeing with another poster's similar comment should another copy ever show up.

The CAP 1 in 8.0 is a entirely differenct case since the unearthing of another copy in 8.0 or one in even higher condition will probably not have such as drastic effect on the price of the current 8.0 copy.

That was all I was implying when I stated that the value of the BB 28 is subject to some risk since the value is linked more closely to the CGC grade as in comparison to the CAP 1 which probably stands a better chance to retain its value even if more copies are found.

My comments had nothing at all to do with your grading skills at all. :foryou:

Okay, I see what you're saying. :foryou:

However, I disagree with your statement "The value in the CAP 1, however, is really more in the book itself and really has much less to do with the label". I agree it is worth more on an absolute basis because it is older, scarcer and more significant. However, I would argue that the relatively low value for such a major book actually reflects the fact that Cap 1 is one of the easiest GA mega-keys to find (perhaps second only to Batman 1) and is relatively easy to find in higher grades such as VF. Its availability was well known pre- and post-CGC.

Therefore, I would agree with you that if some more 8.0 or higher copies appeared, that the Cap 1 would retain its value better. But only in the sense that its value has already been beaten down because there are 4 other 8.0s in the Census already, along with 4 other higher-graded copies, so at this point what different will another 1 or 2 8.0s or higher make. If you're looking at things purely from a risk-adverse perspective, that makes sense. On the other hand, I would say the prospects for appreciation are also limited.

Tough call for me between the MF 52 and the AF 15. Before seeing the scans I was ready to say MF 52 in a heartbeat. I've actually purchased a More Fun 52 restored 8.5 and passed on AF 15s in this sort of grade in this price range when given the opportunity. But that AF 15 is one pretty 6.0. Is there something drastically wrong with the back cover or something? Based solely on how nice that particular 6.0 looks, I think I might go with the AF 15. (Any other AF 15 6.0 and I'd go with the More Fun 52)

Therefore, I would agree with you that if some more 8.0 or higher copies appeared, that the Cap 1 would retain its value better. But only in the sense that its value has already been beaten down because there are 4 other 8.0s in the Census already, along with 4 other higher-graded copies, so at this point what different will another 1 or 2 8.0s or higher make. If you're looking at things purely from a risk-adverse perspective, that makes sense. On the other hand, I would say the prospects for appreciation are also limited.

I would agree with you about the prospects for appreciation here. This lines up with investment theory which associates lower potential returns for investments with lower risks. (thumbs u

Also agree with you that Bats #1 is the most readily available GA key book. Even so, I feel it has the potential for better price appreciation than the Cap 1 going forward since Batman is just so much a part of the American culture now.