• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 50 Good Girl Art Covers!

248 posts in this topic

are you positive those humor covers are by wolverton? I just don't see his style in there. Is there a different inker on him?

To be honest with you, I may have been confused with the interior art. Thanks for the catch.

Definitely Wolverton interior and definitely not his work on the cover.

As I said, I can't believe you don't have Blue Beetle #50 (my favorite of the series), Jo-Jo #8(9), and Rulah #19 in the top 50. Also, where the heck is All Top #16, Seven Seas #3, Fight Comics #45, Phantom Lady #18, etc, etc.

Those are all great covers you mentioned. Blue Beetle #50 is a teriffic, but I just felt that the Blue Beetle books were overly represented on my list already. I had a hard time keeping it off my list. The others would all make my top 100. Ghost #2 is a very sexy cover, but I just don't like the face as much as other covers.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what other people's lists are, and please post the cover for everyone to see.

Any list I created would have lots and lots of books in common with yours. Kudos to you for taking the time to think this through and create an interesting thread for everyone to enjoy! :applause:

And since you twisted my arm...

JoJo11.jpg

As I said, I can't believe you don't have Blue Beetle #50 (my favorite of the series), Jo-Jo #8(9), and Rulah #19 in the top 50. Also, where the heck is All Top #16, Seven Seas #3, Fight Comics #45, Phantom Lady #18, etc, etc.

Those are all great covers you mentioned. Blue Beetle #50 is a teriffic, but I just felt that the Blue Beetle books were overly represented on my list already. I had a hard time keeping it off my list. The others would all make my top 100. Ghost #2 is a very sexy cover, but I just don't like the face as much as other covers.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what other people's lists are, and please post the cover for everyone to see.

Any list I created would have lots and lots of books in common with yours. Kudos to you for taking the time to think this through and create an interesting thread for everyone to enjoy! :applause:

JoJo11.jpg

My God, I think I just went blind with all those beautiful colors! (worship)

JoJo11.jpg

I almost went blind too. But for other activities reasons. ;)

Sorry dude, but Dagar # 14 is Top 20, possible Top 10 material.

Other then that, cool list overall. Thanks for the time and effort in putting it together. :applause:

Can't argue with you there, it's a great cover and your copy is gorgeous. Can you please post it. :foryou:

JoJo11.jpg

I almost went blind too. But for other activities reasons. ;)

O.K., I'm not so sure I went this copy anymore. ;)

great stuff. One of my favorites is Weird Fantasy #15. It crosses many categories; good girl, sci-fi and horror!

West

ps... don't forget to add My Life #4, Wonder Comics #11 and Sunny #11 to the list! :grin:

In addition to #15, Weird Fantasy #7 is another nice GGA book that I wouldn't mind owning.

JoJo11.jpg

Every time I see your copy, it makes me want to purchase a time machine so I can get it. Fantastic copy!

Sorry dude, but Dagar # 14 is Top 20, possible Top 10 material.

Other then that, cool list overall. Thanks for the time and effort in putting it together. :applause:

Can't argue with you there, it's a great cover and your copy is gorgeous. Can you please post it. :foryou:

Sure...why not?

My Seahawks disappointed tonight, but this book never does... :cloud9:

Dagar14-Ohio.jpg

Agreed that you certainly had quite a few Blue Beetles represented. With the exception of perhaps #52, this one tops them all IMO:

bb50.jpg

As for the Ghost, I agree that her face is not 10 material, but the rest tops the scale when it comes to detail. I missed out on this copy when it was auctioned on Heritage, even though posting an insane amount for it:

ghostcomics2.jpg

And this Rulah is amazing in my view:

rulah19.jpg

I have to agree that the Brenda Starr (operating table) and the Jo Jo #11 belong on the list. Also you can't fault any of the Kamen Blue Beetle's (#47-#52) being on the list. I also don't believe that #54 is Kamen. Not sure who the artist is. Kamen's Cow-Puncer #2 is also a favorite.

What about the Wood Women on Strange Worlds #'s 4 and 5? Or Shock Suspenstories #6? Weird Science #13 or #14.

How about the incredibly lush Frazetta inking of the woman on Beware #10? Or the cover to Famous Funnies #210? Or Weird Fantasy #21? Williamson/Frazetta cover. The girl isn't particularly sexy, but she is the best drawn Gal I've ever scene.

Torchy #5 is my favorite of the Torchy run. #6 would take second place. Must be the red backgrounds.

Also you should check out the Kurtzman women on the early issues of Mad. The women on #7 and #8 - Va-Va-Va-Voom!.

Phantom Lady #18 would also make my list above #23. There are some great Baker romance covers that would make wortwhile entries.

I'm generally not that big on the Timely teen humor books. (But some of those Junior covers are incredible.) But if you like teen humar gals, you should take a gander at Roly Poly #12. Betty and Veronica in harem costumes? (Well technically they might not be B&W, but the interiors are reprints of other MLJ material.) If you haven't seen this cover, you need to dig around and find a ascan somewher.

I'm going to have to get my scanner dusted off and install it on the new computer.

Good first cut at the top 50

One of the great things about collecting GGA covers is appreciating their risque nature when examined in the context of the times in which they were published

I mean, the 40s and 50s were hardly known as the era of sexual revolution or equality. Quite the opposite. Its what makes these books so incredibly fun to collect.

Sure you can see all manner of scantily clad females on the covers of Modern comics, but considering the times we live in, its hardly revolutionary. In fact, its mostly just visual "white noise".

But Golden Age GGA covers...man, now those are something special.

Here's another one from my collection that at least deserves "honorable mention".

Mmm..Schomburg Airbrush GGA.... :cloud9:

Did anyone see what the 8.5 Crippen copy went for on Heritage tonight? $783...and its not even a particularly pretty 8.5 (heavy foxing along the right edge of a white cover book just kills it for me).

$783...that's nearly triple Guide!! :o :o :o

I'll take my 9.2 old label with OW/W pages, thank you. :acclaim:

thrilling64fc.jpg

if you like teen humar gals, you should take a gander at Roly Poly #12. Betty and Veronica in harem costumes? (Well technically they might not be B&W, but the interiors are reprints of other MLJ material.) If you haven't seen this cover, you need to dig around and find a ascan somewher.

Here you go :)

46300-ebay2005.jpg.6030fb319c3ff6f77faa7d3abce2716c.jpg