• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Comic Addict's Confessional Room

361 posts in this topic

Dear CAA,

My goal for 2009 was to acquire ONE book above all others, and it looks like it may finally happen this time! :grin:

If everything goes according to plan, I will have assumed custodianship of Fantastic Four #1 by this time next year!

They say third time is a charm, so let's hope so. :wishluck:

It will be SO HARD to not buy any other comics this coming year :pullhair:

But I must keep my focus :sumo:

Updates forthcoming when applicable :gossip:

My name is Thomas and I am addicted to comics

Taxes for 2008 complete.

$76K spent on comics, OA, 1st Editions, pulps, & reading material.

$36K sold: comics only.

$2,200 sold on the Boards (typically at 50% OS or better).

These numbers are all tracking slightly higher so far this year.

I'm an addict.

Taxes for 2008 complete.

I'm an addict.

:whatthe:

Taxes for 2008 complete.

I'm an addict.

Dude, you effin' ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: (thumbs u :applause:

Taxes for 2008 complete.

I'm an addict.

(worship)

Dear CAC,

Has anyone picked up a book that is not in their "niche", than fell in love with that type of book? I just picked up a funny animal book with a WW2 cover and interior, and ever since then, every WW2 themed FA books must be mine. :pullhair: Venturing out sure is fun, but awfully expensive.

- GP

Dear CAC,

Has anyone picked up a book that is not in their "niche", than fell in love with that type of book? I just picked up a funny animal book with a WW2 cover and interior, and ever since then, every WW2 themed FA books must be mine. :pullhair: Venturing out sure is fun, but awfully expensive.

- GP

I won about 100 Golden Age books at an Estate auction a couple years back and was instantly bit by the GGA bug. Up until that it was mostly bronze and copper for me. Now I am shelling out hundreds of dollars for Fiction House books. They are more of a priority now than finishing my ASM run which had always been goal #1.

Dear CAC,

- GP

...sorry.... lol

Dear CAC,

- GP

I won about 100 Golden Age books at an Estate auction a couple years back and was instantly bit by the GGA bug. Up until that it was mostly bronze and copper for me. Now I am shelling out hundreds of dollars for Fiction House books. They are more of a priority now than finishing my ASM run which had always been goal #1.

(thumbs u

Dear CAA,

Well, how to begin? I have been trying to figure out how to say what I'm about to without much success, so for those without patience, please excuse the following lengthy diatribe.

As some of you may know, my life has undergone quite a few changes in the past few weeks. Some good, some bad. Well, mostly bad. Some of my own making, some not.

I rememember when I first got back into comics after 26 years, I completely felt the magic and nostalgia I had when collecting as a child, and it felt good to rekindle old memories. I remember opening my first box of raw books from an eBay purchase, and the "smell" of the comics hit me and all the memories of a childhood lost came rushing back. It was wonderful. I was hooked back into the hobby, and I enjoyed the challenge and fun of collecting again.

Until recently.

Now I find my very soul seems dead to everything. No longer am I excited and rushing to the mailbox hoping that book I purchased showed up. The trepidation of opening up the package and seeing a portion of my childhood restored no longer brings me joy. It's just not fun anymore. Even posting and reading threads on the Boards has lost it's luster.

Yeah I notice the market upswell, and books are more expensive, but that's not really the point. Though I had some financial problems unrelated to comics in the past month, they money is not an issue. I guess I'm just not feeling it anymore. People are willing to pay for personal pleasure, be it art, a comic, a pristine old automobile or even a lap dance. Pleasure has a price, but if it no longer brings you satisfaction, why continue to go through the motions of something you no longer appreciate as much?

So, that being said, I have decided to finish up the couple of board obligations I have and step away from the hobby, at least from buying books. I am still going to pay off my FF#1. I don't know, maybe having THAT in hand will re-awaken my enthusiasm, maybe not. Worst case scenario, if I DO decide to ever collecting again, I would have a solid foundation from which to begin.

So is this an FDQ exit? I'm not sure. Probably not. Like herpes or a bad relative I will probably hang around for awhile. Maybe I will drop by for awhile to chat with some friends. Maybe I will unexpectedly show up at a Forum dinner to buy a round of drinks. Maybe I will be back in the hobby in a few months. I don't know at this point. I firmly believe all things happen for a reason. The things that have happened in my life recently have caused me to question my life, my choices, and my very mortality. I have cheated death more than a few times in my life. There are times when I wish I hadn't. These days I work 80 hours a week and basically rest on the weekends. I simply exist. Physically, I still have what's left of my health, but mentally and emotionally I am spent. There's no happiness in my life, and comics aren't going to be able to replenish or supplement it.

So what's the point in typing all of this? Not sure. I guess my drama queen rant is over. Not even sure why I spent all this time putting all this down (I'm a two finger typist wonder, so yeah it took awhile). I'm pretty sure the usual critics or folks who don't like me will have something smart to say. That's fine and well. I also know some of the people who I consider friends will understand and be supportive, at least I hope they will.

Again, the few people I am buying books from, fear not, I will honor my obligations.

My name is Thomas, and though the thrill is gone, I am hoping one day it will return.

Oh my GOD! Dude maybe your just too tired,80 hrs. a week can really take a toll on you,I know it's hard to juggle everything in life,but why take away the one thing that has given you any enjoyment in life.Take a vacation,step back and get back to Zen. :foryou:

Sorry to hear this, but do what's best for you. Stay in contact with these boards, you have a lot of friends here, I've noticed. I'm going to PM you about some other stuff that doesn't belong in a public forum.

Take care, man.

Oh my GOD! Dude maybe your just too tired,80 hrs. a week can really take a toll on you,I know it's hard to juggle everything in life,but why take away the one thing that has given you any enjoyment in life.Take a vacation,step back and get back to Zen. :foryou:

I'm good, bro. I have been feeling this way for awhile, just took me taking a step back and reprioritizing my perspective.

Sorry to hear this, but do what's best for you. Stay in contact with these boards, you have a lot of friends here, I've noticed. I'm going to PM you about some other stuff that doesn't belong in a public forum.

Take care, man.

I appreciate it. BTW I am still going to stay in contact with the Boards (what else is there to do at work to pass the time?) :baiting:

Just not gonna be buying books for awhile.

Thomas,

Sorry to hear about all the problems and long work hours. I hope things get better and you'll be able to get where you need to be :wishluck: I've found myself here and there wanting to dump things, but found that rooting myself with my hobby and usingit to reconnect to my childhood days has been a blessing - even on the bad days when I had passing thoughts of giving up collecting.

Each time I've stopped collecting, I've regretted it big time later and made a commitment to stick with it. While that might not be ideal for your situation, just my 2c

Again, hope it all works out for the best (thumbs u

Hey Thomas

I wish you the best man! :headbang:

As always...

80 hr weeks...been there...absolutely was killing me and my 25+/- year relationship with my old lady...and my mental health to boot...

reminds me of a poem I wrote to a friend back around that time...thought I'd share... ( :gossip: I'll give you a call... )

a friend called me last night

a friend called me last night

and said he'd been meaning to call

(it had been about 4 weeks...)

and we made some small talk

leading up to

I came home late the other night

and she had packed up everything

and left the ring and a note on the dining table...

her absence as sudden

as a blindside carwreck!

her memory a tear-stain on the tablecloth...

Happy New Year!

later he said he had read like

5 Bukowski's and did about 2 or 3 bottles

of scotch the previous 2 weeks

to take the edge off

the 80hour weeks...

the 7day weeks

and, anyway,

I don't think that was the cause

more like the symptom...

and we went on to talk about

what a toll our jobs were taking on us and