• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Comic Addict's Confessional Room

361 posts in this topic

Maaaaaybe that's something you and your new bride should hash out? This way, you can spend the money HOWEVER YOU CHOOSE but it's still within the greater realm of responsibility so she can feel good about it as well.

I'm not trying to dictate how you should run your marriage, OBVIOUSLY, but this little method has really worked well for my wife and I. :)

Thanks for the advice! I HAVE made some progress in that dept., as she gave me the green light to go to WW Texas (VIP tix no doubt! :whatthe:) but as far as making regular purchases for books, that's still a shoot. :shrug:

isn't it really only an addiction if it is getting you in trouble in some way? not being able to pay your bills for example.

if that is not the case (getting in trouble from it), then i would just call it being very passionate about your hobby.

isn't it really only an addiction if it is getting you in trouble in some way? not being able to pay your bills for example.

if that is not the case (getting in trouble from it), then i would just call it being very passionate about your hobby.

Welcome back Ken. :hi:

And yes, comic buying has got me into trouble at home a few

times.

Well buying comics always leads to arguments with my wife, so I would consider that getting into trouble, hence the subterfuge when purchasing them...

I think part of what helps me with keeping things above the table with my wife is twofold: 1. we both get a monthly allowance to spend as we see fit and 2. she has a taste for J.Crew clothing which can be quite expensive so while I might spend my allowance on expensive comics (which I know she finds silly), she'll pay $75 for a sweater (which I find silly). All works out in the end.

My wife and I have the same arrangement!

You've come to the right place!! Hiding purchases, lying about purchases and occasionally fighting with our spouses/girlfriends are all par for the course. And your analogy about it not being booze or lap dances is very valid. Just don't tell your wife that those vices would be far cheaper!!!!!! lol

Many alcoholics (including myself) would agree with your assessment. :cool:

However, your reasoning is just another dodge. :sorry:

From a post of mine on 9/15/03......

The Twelve Steps Of High Grade Collectors Anonymous

1. We admitted we were powerless over high grade comic collecting- that

our lives (and our filing system) had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a power higher than ourselves (probably Galactus) could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our collection and our lives over to the

care of the Watcher as we understood him.

4. Made a searching and fearless inventory of our collection, and

revealed all restored items.

5. Admitted to our spouse, to ourselves and another member of the CGC

board the exact dollar value of our collection.

6. Were entirely ready to have Odin remove all the 5.5s and lower from

our collection.

7. Humbly asked Odin to dump the craap on Ebay.

8. Made a list of all persons we had made Paypal payments to and became

willing to offer positive feedback to all.

9. Sent direct emails to such people whenever possible, except when to

do so would expose them as shills.

10.Continued to inventory our collection and weed out all overpriced

mid-80's comics that were worth less than cover price (see Captain

Victory).

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious

contact with Ego the Living Planet, praying only for knowledge of his

will for us and the cosmic power (along with a surfboard) to carry that

out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we

tried to carry this message to other compulsive collectors and to

practice these principles in all our affairs.

Will that do? meh

This is probably the best and funniest thing that I've seen on the boards!!!! Red, you're my hero!! (worship):headbang::banana:

I'm not married. :banana:

I do get an occasional ribbing from my girlfriend, but she doesn't have the leverage.

The real danger with this addiction is you can tell yourself that you could sell them all tomorrow and get your money back (with profit). I'm just borrowing the books, and I'll even get paid for doing so when I "return" them later! :D

Meanwhile, you haven't fixed that leaky faucet and you haven't put enough in that retirement account.

you haven't fixed that leaky faucet

Let me see if I understand this. The purpose of a faucet is to deliver water and your faucet will deliver said liquid without anyone having to turn the handle. That's not a defect, that's a feature! :insane:

This has been a great thread. Thanks for starting it, Thomas.

I love sweet books (silver-age Marvels esp those drawn by Jack Kirby). Sniping software exacerbates my comic book addiction. Ebay is a really bad temptation for me even though it seems a third of the books I buy are disappointments. I usually prefer raw but became fond of CGC books also. I tried to slack off after the ASM 3 movie but the prices on Ebay are so good during the summer! I thought I would be done after completing my ASM (1-441) run, but then came the FF (20-200) run and JIM/Thor (95-200) run and TOS (50-99) run...

The CGC boards gives me buddies to share stories and laughs, and compare notes with.

So I eventually filled many of those runs (at affordable grades) then it was time to upgrade those books below FINE 6.0

I have spent way more money than I ever thought I would. I don't rationalize it by saying that it would be a great collection to pass down to my son. What the hell would he do with it but sell it I imagine!

I think it is mostly the thrill of the hunt that is so addicting!

(shrug)

My "confessional room" will be with my psychologist in December, as my addicting personality needs to be understood so I can attempt to control it.

I love comics, but they have a hold on me. Sad.

First available appointment? If you need help, I'll take them off your hands.
My wife would love that. Just pay full market value so I can pay off the house, and I think I'll be set. :foryou:

Secrets of Sinister House #5 in 9.4-9.6 :wishluck:

I had a copy in my hands for about 2 days before I sold it to someone else to get another book I wanted. See what I mean? Luckily, there's another one in my sights.

See? I'm an addict! :makepoint: I'm selling books right now to pay for some books & to have $$ for the WW Texas Comic Con (my wife found my comic money stash :whatthe:)

(shrug) I don't see what the big deal is. One should be able to enjoy their hobby guilt free as long as it doesn't interfere with family and job. Great ASM 59 btw. I need an upgrade, but I'm paying for other books at the moment...