• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

www.comics4kids.org

588 posts in this topic

:popcorn: curious myself.

Are you really? I've just written him off as a scammer. What kind of reasonable answers could he possibly give?

Actually, that's a serious question. Is there any scenario that paints him in a kinder light?

Not really I guess.Personally I see this as worse than Harolds scams,because Dale is scamming under the guise of a charity to help kids.

Are you really? I've just written him off as a scammer. What kind of reasonable answers could he possibly give?

Actually, that's a serious question. Is there any scenario that paints him in a kinder light?

Perhaps it's laziness.

Maybe it's something that was put off for a long time and completing the process was never finalized.

There are plenty of reasons that over a 16+ year time span that full charity designation was never attained.

I see now that he's calling it a "not for profit" organization, that is "applying" for IRS charity designation. That's a step in the right direction. There are plenty of donors that I have heard from that donated expecting their donations to be tax deductible and some given receipts to be used to that end. Being that it has never been a charity those receipts are worthless from a deduction standpoint.

However, several pointed questions about what donations were accepted to date and where those donations have gone, are unanswered and in the middle of a promise to "answer all questions" the principal representative of this organization dropped off the boards and left everyone hanging.

The longer it takes to get answers the more doubt enters into the thought process of what the reasons could be.

Frankly, the tone and demeanor of the answers (and lack thereof) have left me more worried than the technicalities of their IRS status.

Before anyone gives valuable merchandise to an organization they want to be at ease that the books are going to the people they think they are, and not (for example) funding a fun weekend at a New Orleans comic show.

I hope we get answers.

Perhaps it's laziness.

Maybe it's something that was put off for a long time and completing the process was never finalized.

There are plenty of reasons that over a 16+ year time span that full charity designation was never attained.

I see now that he's calling it a "not for profit" organization, that is "applying" for IRS charity designation. That's a step in the right direction. There are plenty of donors that I have heard from that donated expecting their donations to be tax deductible and some given receipts to be used to that end. Being that it has never been a charity those receipts are worthless from a deduction standpoint.

However, several pointed questions about what donations were accepted to date and where those donations have gone, are unanswered and in the middle of a promise to "answer all questions" the principal representative of this organization dropped off the boards and left everyone hanging.

The longer it takes to get answers the more doubt enters into the thought process of what the reasons could be.

Frankly, the tone and demeanor of the answers (and lack thereof) have left me more worried than the technicalities of their IRS status.

Before anyone gives valuable merchandise to an organization they want to be at ease that the books are going to the people they think they are, and not (for example) funding a fun weekend at a New Orleans comic show.

I hope we get answers.

Exactly. I don't know squat about applying for charity status with the IRS, but I know when someone is lying and desperately trying to obfuscate and deflect. All it takes is a little bit of that nonsense to turn just about everyone against you permanently, and we've gotten more than just a little.

I noticed Dale popped back in the PGM thread. :facepalm:

Yup. He's posted there something like 8 times today. So there's no question that he's avoiding this thread.

If Mohameed can't come to the mountain, then the mountain must go to Mohameed. hm

So, is Dale's "organisation" not-for-profit registered or not?

I see my name is now listed at http://www.wizardworld.com/comics4kids.html even though I haven't discussed any support going forward.

Comics/money donated and I have no idea where it has all gone to, based on what's been discussed here.

Thanks to comix4fun for keeping me informed.

I see my name is now listed at http://www.wizardworld.com/comics4kids.html, even though I haven't discussed any support going forward.

Comics/money donated and I have no idea where it has all gone to, based on what's been discussed here.

...and...the page is pulled! :golfclap:

oops

I see my name is now listed at http://www.wizardworld.com/comics4kids.html,'>http://www.wizardworld.com/comics4kids.html, even though I haven't discussed any support going forward.

Link is just slightly wrong. :gossip:

http://www.wizardworld.com/comics4kids.html

I see my name is now listed at http://www.wizardworld.com/comics4kids.html,'>http://www.wizardworld.com/comics4kids.html, even though I haven't discussed any support going forward.

Link is just slightly wrong. :gossip:

http://www.wizardworld.com/comics4kids.html

yeah yeah, you don't gotta rub it in!

By the way, just because he's registered as a nonprofit in the state does not mean he's necessarily recognized on a federal level yet. I work in private banking and the two public sources I use to confirm whether or not an organization is a not-for-profit are Guidestar and Charity Navigator.

This organization is not found on either. But that could very well be the result of being filed so recently.

Filing date 04/09/2012 - so is there any auditing requirements before that date?

There really aren't. A non-for-profit organization has up to 27 months to file Form 1023 to be able to claim tax-exempt status under IRS code 501©(3) after registering in the state.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer or accountant.

Filing date 04/09/2012 - so is there any auditing requirements before that date?

There really aren't. A non-for-profit organization has up to 27 months to file Form 1023 to be able to claim tax-exempt status under IRS code 501©(3) after registering in the state.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer or accountant.

For the reasons you noted, most likely, we are seeing a new filing with the washington SOS.

Checking the SOS site again, this is a refiling of organizational documents after the last set expired and dissolved in 2010. After the expiration and dissolution donations were still being solicited. Also the press releases still identified them as an "inc" even though they weren't an active corp.

Obviously, with the convention season upon us someone got their paperwork filed to have at least this part up to date. It also resets the clock on that filing you mention.

For me it will always be; "where did the 1,000,000 comics donated to the Organization actually wind up"?

When asked what would appear to be a simple question to name some of the Hospitals that they had been given to, They came up dry.

I still find that quite troubling. I'm also bothered by the ease with which the million comic donation could conflict with any personal comic collecting/investing interests.

too many questions with too few answers...

Agreed. Though I'm constantly needing to keep straight the 4kids and 4fun aliases.

comix4fun/Chris, maybe As *spoon* as Arch comes back from vacation....

Agreed. Though I'm constantly needing to keep straight the 4kids and 4fun aliases.

comix4fun/Chris, maybe As *spoon* as Arch comes back from vacation....

Hey, I was here first....he's gotta change his name. lol

The only way I could sort it out was that Comics4Kids probably wouldn't have Bert eating a child's head as his avatar.