• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Comics
10 10

1,136 posts in this topic

This is one sweet thread. I'm working my way through off and on today.

I've only just recently been reading Conan. I started with the Dark Horse series, and then through reprints of the old Marvel issues. I always figured I'd stick with the comic versions of the stories until I read a few REH shorts on the flight to SDCC. Holy smokes, these stories kick ! Despite having read the same stories in comic form, I was completely immersed in the tales. Howard really knew how to create a compelling pulp story.

I've always been a big Edgar Rice Burroughs fan, so I'm surprised it took me 36 years to find Howard. doh!

And now that I'm reading the stories, I've decided to buy some issues, too. I've even started a thread in the WTB area. I think I'm hooked. (thumbs u

You mean Howards a better writer than roy thomas? ;)

This is great stuff! I'm a Conan fan as well. I remember picking up a copy of Savage Sword of Conan in the grocery store as a kid and feeling like was doing something "bad", guess cause it was a magazine, no-code, and Conan, admittedly was NOT the kind of hero traditional to comics.

This thread got me feeling nostalgia for the old barbarian. Just plopped down a bid on a a SSOC No. 1!

Edited by kevnaminute

This is great stuff! I'm a Conan fan as well. I remember picking up a copy of Savage Sword of Conan in the grocery store as a kid and feeling like was doing something "bad", guess cause it was a magazine, no-code, and Conan, admittedly was NOT the kind of hero traditional to comics.

This thread got me feeling nostalgia for the old barbarian. Just plopped down a bid on a a SSOC No. 1!

If you're interested in reading them, Dark Horse is reprinting them all right now in an "Essential"-style format.

It's a good time to be a Conan and REH fan. :)

This is a pretty nice book, with great illustrations by Frank (thumbs u

(slipcase is a similar design as the others posted eariler so I didn't scan it)

ultimate2.jpg

The signed/numbered ones cost a little bit more than the regular version :whistle:

Not sure, but I think this one is a artist proof, or printers proof, from the letters next to the numbers.

I bought it thru Frank Jr.

ultimate1.jpg

If you're interested in reading them, Dark Horse is reprinting them all right now in an "Essential"-style format.

It's a good time to be a Conan and REH fan. :)

Thought I'd try something different and start from the first issue of a comic, buy it, read it, and wait to buy the next issue next month...sort of like the gold old days... :)

This is a pretty nice book, with great illustrations by Frank (thumbs u

(slipcase is a similar design as the others posted eariler so I didn't scan it)

ultimate2.jpg

The signed/numbered ones cost a little bit more than the regular version :whistle:

Not sure, but I think this one is a artist proof, or printers proof, from the letters next to the numbers.

I bought it thru Frank Jr.

ultimate1.jpg

Awesome! This is the last one I need to be caught up on the Wandering Stars. (worship)

Edited by Theagenes

What # WT was the first conan in again?

That's Dec. 1932. Phoenix on the Sword. Actually a rejected Kull story with minor changes.

March 1933 "The Tower of the Elephant" may better be described as the fist "true" Conan, where REH really gets a fix on who and what Conan is to become.

Though actually the "Frost Giant's Daughter" and "The God in the Bowl" were written before Tower, just not published in Weird Tales.

That's a GREAT pulp, Tupenny! :golfclap:

Always quality material in this thread -- I'm green w/ envy. :/

(worship)

Nice Bill. That things in beautiful shape

Thanks you guys!

Ken reminded me about it at SDCC.

I'm just too old to recall everything.

It features Hour of the Dragon (in part) but the real appeal is the condition & of course the green Brundage cover.