• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Comics
10 10

1,136 posts in this topic

What # WT was the first conan in again?

That's Dec. 1932. Phoenix on the Sword. Actually a rejected Kull story with minor changes.

March 1933 "The Tower of the Elephant" may better be described as the fist "true" Conan, where REH really gets a fix on who and what Conan is to become.

Though actually the "Frost Giant's Daughter" and "The God in the Bowl" were written before Tower, just not published in Weird Tales.

Ok, what was the first published Conan work?

Coming to me right now from Las Vegas.

Thanks, Ken!

weirdtales.jpg

weirdtalesb.jpg

OMG Bill, that is beautiful! That back cover is blinding! :o

For those that don't collect these, pulps from this era in this kind of condition are very, very rare! That is just stunning. :golfclap:

You should post this in the pulp thread in the Gold forum.

THE BARRY WINDSOR-SMITH Conan ARCHIVES VOLUME 1

Written by Roy Thomas, art by Barry Windsor-Smith.

In 1970, Barry Windsor-Smith burst onto the comic-book scene with his dynamic portrayal of Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian, altering the course of the blue-eyed Cimmerian forever, and cementing himself as one of the greatest artists to touch pencil to paper. Nearly forty years later, Dark Horse Comics, in the tradition of the Dark Horse Archives collections, reprints Barry Windsor-Smith's entire run on Marvel's Conan the Barbarian in two fine hardcover volumes!

The first volume of The Barry Windsor-Smith Conan Archives includes such classic tales as Rogues in the House and The Tower of the Elephant, written by Roy Thomas and fully illustrated by Barry Windsor-Smith -- now presented as they were intended, remastered using the original color palette!

This volume reprints the first half of Barry Windsor-Smith's run on Conan the Barbarian.

200 pages, $49.95, in stores on Jan. 20.

here is the link, third one down.

CONAN FULL COLOR ARCHIVE by Dark Horse

Posted this the pulp thread, but I thought I'd cross-post it here too. Just pick up a pretty rare Howard item. This a copy of Marvel Tales vol. 1, no. 2, a digest-sized fanzine published in 1934 by William Crawford. It contains the first appearance of "The Garden of Fear" by REH, as well as a Frank Belknap Long story, "The Dark Beasts." This copy is interesting because the issue was printed with a 15 cent price on the cover, but it has some of government (tax?) stamp on it with 25 cents stamped over that. Maybe this one was sold in Canada? Anyway it's pretty cool and I'm excited to have found one.

MarvelTalesfcsm.jpg

MarvelTalesinto02.jpg

MarvelTalesinto01.jpg

Damn Theagenes is one cool muthaa.

Past life regression & racial memory are running themes in REH.

Course, as I like to say, always look to Jack London. You'll find Before Adam & the knockout blow of all weird outre fiction on this theme, The Star R over.

Is, The Garden of Fear the story Conan #9 was adapted from? The picture you show reminded me of it somehow (shrug)

Very VERY cool btw

Edited by Senormac

Course, as I like to say, always look to Jack London. You'll find Before Adam & the knockout blow of all weird outre fiction on this theme, The Star R over.

The Star R over was apparently a favorite of Howard's and his James Allison yarns were basically an homage. Allison is a modern day Texan, bed-ridden and dying of an unspecified disease, who is able to remember all of his past lives. The three finished Allison yarns, "Marchers of Valhalla", "The Valley of the Worm", and "The Garden of Fear" are about his incarnations as Aesir warriors during the years between the fall of Conan's Hyborian Age and the beginning of recorded history. It has been suggested that the character of Allison is (conscious or unconscious) metaphor for REH himself - trapped in a small town in Texas.

Of the three Allison yarns, only TVotW was accepted by Farnsworth Wright and published in Weird Tales. TGoF was then given to Crawford to publish in this fanzine. MoV wouldn't be published until many years later.

Edit: Thats weird. Why can't you say "r over"?

Edited by Theagenes

Is, The Garden of Fear the story Conan #9 was adapted from? The picture you show reminded me of it somehow (shrug)

Very VERY cool btw

Thanks - I'm really excited to have found one - fanzines from the 30's are pretty damn rare. :)

Yes, Roy Thomas turned TGoF into a Conan story for CtB 9.

The Star R over was apparently a favorite of Howard's and his James Allison yarns were basically an homage. Allison is a modern day Texan, bed-ridden and dying of an unspecified disease, who is able to remember all of his past lives. The three finished Allison yarns, "Marchers of Valhalla", "The Valley of the Worm", and "The Garden of Fear" are about his incarnations as Aesir warriors during the years between the fall of Conan's Hyborian Age and the beginning of recorded history. It has been suggested that the character of Allison is (conscious or unconscious) metaphor for REH himself - trapped in a small town in Texas.

Of the three Allison yarns, only TVotW was accepted by Farnsworth Wright and published in Weird Tales. TGoF was then given to Crawford to publish in this fanzine. MoV wouldn't be published until many years later.

Edit: Thats weird. Why can't you say "r over"?

I don't know what's up with the R word but that book is like a steamroller.

As always, Jeff's contributions to this thread are outstanding.

Some formularies that have come to mind. I'm sober, as usual.

1000's of years of Civilization to ultimately fall to its older but idle antecedent Barbarism.

The Civilized Man as vessel for a legion of lifetimes, harkening back to his barbaric self during reverie, isolation, narcotics, trance.

Manifold Identity like the avatars on a message board.

Getting parlous now. No worries though. At best I have an audience of six readers in this thread & my only troll is greggy.

A generation sufficient passage of time for savagery to reemerge, dominant.

Time & self simultaneously telescoped & foreshortened.

Naive notions of progress undercut by lost primeval wisdom.

The complex made simple and vice versa.

The diagram isn't a circle nor a pair of lines converging in the distance, but looping folds sandwiched tight into infinite layers of instantaneous strata.

The diagram isn't a circle nor a pair of lines converging in the distance, but looping folds sandwiched tight into infinite layers of instantaneous strata.

I love it. But this is why I think you are drunk all the time.

I take multi-vitamins & drink 4-5 cups of coffee a day.

Some formularies that have come to mind. I'm sober, as usual.

1000's of years of Civilization to ultimately fall to its older but idle antecedent Barbarism.

The Civilized Man as vessel for a legion of lifetimes, harkening back to his barbaric self during reverie, isolation, narcotics, trance.

Manifold Identity like the avatars on a message board.

Getting parlous now. No worries though. At best I have an audience of six readers in this thread & my only troll is greggy.

A generation sufficient passage of time for savagery to reemerge, dominant.

Time & self simultaneously telescoped & foreshortened.

Naive notions of progress undercut by lost primeval wisdom.

The complex made simple and vice versa.

"Wheels within wheels in a spiral array? A patern so grand and complex?"

"Time after time we lose sight of the way?. Our causes can't see their effects?"

I think all REH fans have to love Rush on some level.

I take multi-vitamins & drink 4-5 cups of coffee a day.

The same with me, don`t need alcohol. (thumbs u