• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Comics
10 10

1,136 posts in this topic

on these boards Conan comics seem to be an afterthought. almost never see them posted in the “this week in your collection” thread. he’s never discussed. he’s like a red headed stepchild. has he ever been popular on these boards?

(shrug)

Is it too late to say "I'm a Conan fan?"

I hope not.

:hi:

I'm still working ever so slowly on the first Marvel comics run (#1 to #125 or so).

It's never too late to acknowledge Conan fanship... or to become a Conan fan for that matter :D

Good to know, since I'm a new convert at 53 years of age. Loving a pile of Savage Sword's I bought on the boards.

Nothing too fancy here. Just two Conans I picked up at the Portland comic show last weekend. Two tables, right next to each other.....similar books, similar condition. Guy at the first table wanted $65 for a 24. The guy at the very next table only wanted $25 for his 24. Funny how two sellers can be right next to each other, with nearly identical books, but such a price difference. Needless to say..... I bought the less expensive book and a #15 also.

Conan15.jpg

Conan24.jpg

The Elric covers are AWESOME! But then compare the pencil work of the 24... and well, what else can you say other than Barry Smith rocked the Conan cover art? lol

Offhand... what was Conan's first appearance? Was it in one of the pulps of the 1930s/40s or was it a published novel? What does that usually run?

The Elric covers are AWESOME! But then compare the pencil work of the 24... and well, what else can you say other than Barry Smith rocked the Conan cover art? lol

Offhand... what was Conan's first appearance? Was it in one of the pulps of the 1930s/40s or was it a published novel? What does that usually run?

Conan's first appearance was in the Weird Tales from December 1932... it can run from Good=~200.00 VF=1000.00+

Conan's first appearance in comics was in the Mexican comic Cuentos de Abuelitos, sometime in 1952 (not sure which issue, as it was an anthology title, and info is spotty at best on it.)

Conan's first appearance was in the Weird Tales from December 1932... it can run from Good=~200.00 VF=1000.00+

Conan's first appearance in comics was in the Mexican comic Cuentos de Abuelitos, sometime in 1952 (not sure which issue, as it was an anthology title, and info is spotty at best on it.)

Good luck finding a GD for under $500 these days. That seems to be the entry for a decent complete copy. VG-FNs are going for 1K now. This book has really gone up in the last couple years.

Forrest, here is the 12/32 issue with the first Conan story, "The Phoenix on the Sword" including the first illustration of Conan. (thumbs u

1932-12fc.jpg

WeirdTales1932-12int01.jpg

Hey, I don't know nearly enough about Conan and Howard except that I like Conan comics but reading The Return of Tarzan by Burroughs today, the second installment of the Tarzan novels, Burroughs describes Tarzan as going into the Cimmerian darkness of the jungle. Did a double-take even though I should have known better so I looked it up and am sharing that most of you probably know but, hey, it's new to me:

Cimmerian: "pertaining to the Cimmerii , an ancient nomadic people who, according to Herodotus, inhabited the region around the Crimea, and who, according to Assyrian sources, overran Asia Minor 7c. B.C.E., from L. Cimmerius , from Gk. Kimmerios . Homer described their land as a place of perpetual mist and darkness beyond the ocean, but whether he had in mind the same people Herodotus did, or any real place, is unclear."

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper

so that:

Cimmerian -

adjective

1. Classical Mythology . of, pertaining to, or suggestive of a western people believed to dwell in perpetual darkness.

2. very dark; gloomy: deep, Cimmerian caverns.

I love learning :cloud9:

Good luck finding a GD for under $500 these days. That seems to be the entry for a decent complete copy. VG-FNs are going for 1K now. This book has really gone up in the last couple years.

Forrest, here is the 12/32 issue with the first Conan story, "The Phoenix on the Sword" including the first illustration of Conan. (thumbs u

1932-12fc.jpg

WeirdTales1932-12int01.jpg

hm I wonder if I shouldn't start turning my eye towards a copy of this sometime in the near future?

Nothing too fancy here. Just two Conans I picked up at the Portland comic show last weekend. Two tables, right next to each other.....similar books, similar condition. Guy at the first table wanted $65 for a 24. The guy at the very next table only wanted $25 for his 24. Funny how two sellers can be right next to each other, with nearly identical books, but such a price difference. Needless to say..... I bought the less expensive book and a #15 also.

Conan15.jpg

Conan24.jpg

I haven't owned Conans in a long time, but I recently picked up a 9.2 perfectly centered 23 and a sharp 8.5 copy of 24...$ 60 for the pair. They are now 2 of my favorite comics , both in the same mylar, one on one side, one on the other :cloud9: Barry Smith was wonderful.....I also love the "Red Nails" adaptation and the Adams issue in 37. Some of my fondest memories as a young teen were of staying up all night reading Howard and Burroughs. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

I haven't owned Conans in a long time, but I recently picked up a 9.2 perfectly centered 23 and a sharp 8.5 copy of 24...$ 60 for the pair. They are now 2 of my favorite comics , both in the same mylar, one on one side, one on the other :cloud9: Barry Smith was wonderful.....I also love the "Red Nails" adaptation and the Adams issue in 37. Some of my fondest memories as a young teen were of staying up all night reading Howard and Burroughs. GOD BLESS...

$30 a piece !! Nice.

Judy worked at a comic shop in St Louis for 5 years when she was younger. Her favorites were Dr Strange, Silver Surfer, Conan, TOD, and WWBN.....she had complete runs. The Conan 23 and 24 are FORBIDDEN to be sold by her order lol GOD BLESS...

The Theagenes Clan & the Tupenny Clan had dinner in Lakeland, Florida last night.

4 hours of good food, good booze, good friends, & laughter.

Here is a short list of items discussed & a couple pics.

Castillo de San Marcos

Wolfshead Bookstore

1st Ed. Lancer Conan paperbacks

Friendship

Toronto

Disney World

The press of Humanity

Libraries

Librarians

Agriculture

Harry Potter

Marvel Islands of Adventure

Mini-vans

Mothers-in-law

WWII

Tallahassee, FL

Berns Steakhouse

Various boardies

Saint Augustine, Florida

South Georgia

Southern Baptists

Catholics

Unitarians

RW Emerson

Eduard Shevardnadze

The Republic of Georgia

Methodists

Theosophists & Madame Blavatsky

Satanism

Comic book rooms

Real estate

New home construction

UV glass

Robert E Howard

HP Lovecraft

Epistolary collections & relationships

Jack London’s To Build a Fire

Howard Days

MegaCon

Marriage, love, sex, children, family

More sex

The Interbellum Generation

Archaeology

Paleontology

Useless plastic toys

Brown University

The Ivy Leagues

Princeton

The Scythians

The Greeks

New Orleans

Bill/ciorac

Photography

Poisoned arrows (viper venom & bacteria impacted dung)

Names & diminutives

Nerdy academic conferences

The word ‘disparagingly’

Pelagic carp

Carp

Slovakia

Mercenaries

The Russian Steppes

Burial Mounds

Braziers doubling as bowls

Wild marijuana

The Grateful Dead

The Ukraine

Alcohol, vodka, slivovice

Breast feeding

Breast pumps

Vienna

US travel & transportation

European travel & transportation

Gas prices

Energy Prices

Escape Plans

The can opener

American Electronic Decadence

Reading

Bibliophilia

Comics

Star Wars

Lord of the Rings

Hydrogen energy

Rural acreages in large blocks

Working for one’s self

Going to sleep early

Waking up early

Early morning Boards posting

That tv show about comic book nerds

Failing memories

663.jpg

690.jpg

That was a lot of fun! After three days with the kids at Disney and Universal it was really nice to have some adult conversation. lol

Out of character for me to let the rest of the dinner party out talk me lol

Maybe I am mellowing in my 40's hm