• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Comics
10 10

1,136 posts in this topic

I love the old REH Conan shorts and, also have been reading the Dark Horse comics since their inception about 5 years ago. I don't know why no one likes Conan. They must have never read the OG shorts by Howard! (shrug)

Since threads are useless without pics and I won't have any HDs ones until tomorrow, here's a recent pick up to tide everyone over. Few people know that REH also wrotea few naughty stories for the Spicies under the pen name "Sam Walser." These pulps are tough to come by and rarely come up for sale:

SpicyAdventure1936-08.jpg

Since threads are useless without pics and I won't have any HDs ones until tomorrow, here's a recent pick up to tide everyone over. Few people know that REH also wrotea few naughty stories for the Spicies under the pen name "Sam Walser." These pulps are tough to come by and rarely come up for sale:

SpicyAdventure1936-08.jpg

SAS is my favorite pulp. I love the covers on ALL of these, and I didn't know that Walser was a pen name for REH. Nice looking copy too.... (thumbs u

SAS is my favorite pulp. I love the covers on ALL of these, and I didn't know that Walser was a pen name for REH. Nice looking copy too.... (thumbs u

Thanks Joe. Yep, he wrote about a half a dozen stories for SAS with a recurring character "Wild" Bill Clanton, a South Seas adventurer/smuggler type. The REH Foundation just released a nice hardcover collection of Howard's spicy stories last year, if anyone's interested in checking them out:

http://www.rehfoundation.org/2011/08/13/pre-order-spicy-adventures/

Good grief, are they still trying to release this turkey? I think I saw it three years ago in Toronto. The end credits say "Based on the Character by Robert E. Howard" but I don't know which character 'cause it sure didn't have anything to do with Solomon Kane.

Okay, it's time for a cheap plug. This was just released this week. The first chapter in this collection is my article on Howard's use of history, anthropology, and geology in creating the Hyborian Age.

978-0-7864-6152-3.jpg

Conan Meets the Academy

Multidisciplinary Essays on the Enduring Barbarian

Edited by Jonas Prida

Print ISBN: 978-0-7864-6152-3

Ebook ISBN: 978-0-7864-8989-3

4 maps, 2 photos, tables, notes, bibliography, index

224pp. softcover (6 x 9) 2013

About the Book

In 1932, Robert E. Howard penned a series of fantasy stories featuring Conan, a hulking Cimmerian warrior who roamed the mythical Hyborian Age landscape engaging in heroic adventures. More than the quirky manifestation of Depression-era magazines, Conan the Barbarian has endured as a cultural mainstay for over 70 years. This multidisciplinary collection offers the first scholarly investigation of Conan, from Howard’s early stories, through mid-century novels and Arnold Schwarzenegger’s iconic films, to the 2011 cinematic remake of Conan the Barbarian. Drawing on disciplines such as stylometry, archeology, cultural studies, folklore studies, and literary history, the essays examine statistical analyses of Conan texts, the literary genesis of Conan, later-day parodies, Conan video games, and much more. By displaying the wide range of academic interest in Conan, this volume reveals the hidden scholarly depth of this seemingly unsophisticated fictional character.

About the Author

Jonas Prida is an assistant professor of English and head of the English Department at the College of St. Joseph, in Rutland, Vermont.

http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/book-2.php?id=978-0-7864-6152-3

http://www.amazon.com/Conan-Meets-Academy-Multidisciplinary-Barbarian/dp/0786461527